Injury Gregson - 4th navicular surgery- Jul 18

Remove this Banner Ad

Not great news. Sounds like a tricky one - similar to McCarthy's early problems?

For those unable to break the paywall...

Gregson is still in the boot - and months away from reloading the Navicular Hot Spot he is suffering from.

Hocking suggested that there is 8 weeks once the hot spot settles before full training can resume - but that Gregson is not to that point yet.

And that of course he needs full training - probably another 6 weeks of that to get back up to speed of the game.

Its a long road for Gregson - but not an unobtainable one.

The flareup started in July last year, then had a screw removed after it was installed late last year and that is the current phase of recovery.

He's contracted to 2018 and there is no plans currently to LTI him.

GO Catters

For those unable to break the paywall...

Gregson is still in the boot - and months away from reloading the Navicular Hot Spot he is suffering from.

Hocking suggested that there is 8 weeks once the hot spot settles before full training can resume - but that Gregson is not to that point yet.

And that of course he needs full training - probably another 6 weeks of that to get back up to speed of the game.

Its a long road for Gregson - but not an unobtainable one.

The flareup started in July last year, then had a screw removed after it was installed late last year and that is the current phase of recovery.

He's contracted to 2018 and there is no plans currently to LTI him.

GO Catters

So maybe he will play 2nd half of the season in the VFL? Best wishes to the young fella, it must be very frustrating.

Gee whiz some are quick too throw it in..
Yes - People wrote off McCarthy and Cowan as well.

There is no rush to get him back in the AFL. He has some potential from what we have seen of him, so taking things slow is the correct thing to do. Plenty of years of football left in him.

Not sure whose "writing him off"....as Turkey Tom said...no hurry ...plenty of years to make his mark. Lets get him 100% right and see then what he offers.

Personally, I think he offers a fair bit. The lad can kick a goal alright.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does it afford us any salary cap advantage to place him on the LTI list?

If not then the only reasonable assumption is they are preparing the plate for a rookie upgrade. Z Guthrie would be the only one putting his hand up at this stage I'd think.

Does it afford us any salary cap advantage to place him on the LTI list?

If not then the only reasonable assumption is they are preparing the plate for a rookie upgrade. Z Guthrie would be the only one putting his hand up at this stage I'd think.
I might be mistaken, but I think clubs put players on the LTI all the time without upgrading anyone.

Gee whiz some are quick too throw it in.. 8 weeks of loading required post moon boot removal, still plenty of time to play some games this year with no setbacks from here
Navicular injuries can be very tricky. Time and again we've seen players with this sort of injury sidelined for months, or even up to twelve months and over, depending on the severity of the initial injury.

My wife injured her navicular and couldn't play netball for the whole season. She developed plantar fasciitis afterwards as a complication resulting from her navicular injury. This set her back another few weeks.

I'd love to be wrong and see Cory return in 2017. However, he first must recover from the injury, then he must not experience any complications arising from his injury before finally running out for the twos.

If Cory can have a hiccup-free recovery, avoid any reoccurring issues pertaining to his injury, build up a solid fitness base and find form in the twos which warrants a senior call up, he may just sneak in a game. That's pushing it, though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back