Greg Chappell - GoFundMe fundraiser.

Remove this Banner Ad

I think some people are over thinking this.

To me it seems like a guy has had business deals/investments go bad and this has resulted in financial stress in the context of not being able to work due to health issues - his mates have wanted to help out (fair enough) and Greg has reluctantly been roped into the idea.

We shouldn't be shaming people for losing money in business, afterall, society as a whole has benefited immeasurably from the technological advances that have been made possible by people taking a chance motivated by the desire to make money above and beyond the standard 80k a year government wage.

Of course, for every person that gets rich off a business idea, there are many more who end destitute and broken - we shouldn't shame these people.

People don't have to donate to Greg's fundraiser if they don't want to.

People who publicly ask for money should be shamed unless they desperately need it.

If Greg did want it kept quiet then his mates should have respected his wishes and just had that charity lunch on the down low and not get the general public involved with the gofund me.

A general feel from comments online indicate his image and reputation has been damaged much more than they probably thought it would.

The comments in the go fund me page would be quite comforting though. He’s still has got a few fans out there .
I had no idea there was a Greg Chappell foundation that helped the homeless before all this .

TGC have a reasonable take on this.

I find it pretty ordinary - actions have consequences, there are people in real need who never got a fraction of the opportunities he did.
That it's similar to a whip-round for Nuggsy?

Have been pretty baffled by this whole thing, particularly the confusion between the luncheon (which has already happened) and the Go Fund Me page that was setup to raise money for a tribute lunch (supposedly in the future, as money on top of that already raised at the earlier luncheon).

From this article (paywalled) I think this quote makes it a bit clearer:

So the page was set up as a way to collect the funds from the luncheon. I think this was a big mistake, possibly initiated with a naivety about the usual function of a Go Fund Me fundraiser.

Instead of discreetly collecting contributions from the big wigs at the lunch, this paints it all over town and implies that they want everyone to chip in. Maybe because they didn't hit the $250k goal at the lunch they throw it open to the public, but that changes the perception massively from a testimonial for a legend into a fundraiser for someone desperate.

Feel sorry for Chappell if he has been railroaded into this scenario without fully understanding the context of a Go Fund Me (how hard is it to set up an eftpos FFS?) and it kind of explains the glib one line description that makes the page more jarring.
Well summed up.

The Go Fund Me fundraising effort sounds dodgy.

EFTPOS machines and credit card readers are easy to obtain and set up for a fundraising event. You can get credit card readers from Officeworks FFS.

It sounds like 'Canberra businessman' Peter Maloney couldn't organise a piss-up in a brewery, or GS Chappell and his friend are grifting, or a bit from column A and column B.

It's also been disappointing to see the naive and vague article from Dan Brettig about this situation. Brettig is usually a good cricket writer and he has lowered his colours with this effort big time.

If Greg did want it kept quiet then his mates should have respected his wishes and just had that charity lunch on the down low and not get the general public involved with the gofund me.

A general feel from comments online indicate his image and reputation has been damaged much more than they probably thought it would.

Rich people out of touch? Never !

Remove this Banner Ad

Back