Greg Chappell - GoFundMe fundraiser.

Remove this Banner Ad

greyhound punter

All Australian
Feb 1, 2023
AFL Club
Essendon
This surprised me a bit - reading between the lines it seems like over the last few years a business deal has gone bad and wiped out a fair chunk of his cash/wealth etc. To be honest, it is none of my business.

Basically, Greg is essentially broke and living in an Adelaide rental, complicated by some health issues that have made it difficult for him to earn a living on the speaking circuit etc.

Yes, heaps of people are doing it tough at the moment, I'm sure Greg would be the first to admit that. But if anyone would like to donate here is the link

Greg Chappell Fundraiser

• Banned
and now he wants another 250k? Lmao

It probably ain't the best look to be fair...especially during these tough times...i can see that point of view 100%.

In saying that, if he has been hit hard financially through a bad business deal/investment - at his age it is impossible to come back from.

Australian cricket has a responsibility to ensure the trailblazers of yesteryear aren't left destitute on the street.

It is unfathomable that someone who has had the benefit of a successful career and business opportunities such as Greg Chappell should be struggling financially. Sounds like too many high-risk investments to me. I remember him saying back in the Packer days it meant cricketers will no longer have to struggle financially for the rest of their lives. What happened?

Yea this stinks 250k raised for a once rich public figure? he's got a brother with money & umpteen rich friends jeezus help people in real need.

It seriously got up to a quarter of a million?

I’m not clicking that because the idea is appalling to me. The amount of people who’ve never even had an opportunity that need help but can’t get their GFM page enough engagement would be pretty broken seeing this s**t.

Nothing short of a disgrace that he’s even doing this publicly. If he needs help he’s obviously got connected friends he can turn to and leave the donations to those really in need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His not even a nice guy, use to tell kids to * off when they wanted a autograph lol
My mother went to a Test in Adelaide against the West Indies when she was young and said that the Chappells were the only ones who refused to sign an autograph. Apparently everyone else was really good.

It is unfathomable that someone who has had the benefit of a successful career and business opportunities such as Greg Chappell should be struggling financially. Sounds like too many high-risk investments to me. I remember him saying back in the Packer days it meant cricketers will no longer have to struggle financially for the rest of their lives. What happened?

I wonder how he ended up in a rental to boot. That would imply he has no assets at all. So he was either living above his means or has had a significant loss on some investments + borrowed against them. He was coaching India like 15 years ago which is a highly paid job + he got paid out after he got sacked. Doesn't make alot of sense.

I wonder how he ended up in a rental to boot. That would imply he has no assets at all. So he was either living above his means or has had a significant loss on some investments + borrowed against them. He was coaching India like 15 years ago which is a highly paid job + he got paid out after he got sacked. Doesn't make alot of sense.
I'd say he lived how he earnt as most people tend to do.

Article with more details: Greg Chappell facing financial struggle; friends launch fundraising campaign
"
Cricket legend Greg Chappell has revealed going through a financial struggle with his friends pitching in to set up an online fundraising platform to "enhance his last few years", according to a report.

The 75-year-old former Australia captain, who also had a controversial stint as the head coach of the Indian team from 2005-2007, admitted that he is doing fine but is certainly not living a life of luxury as a result of his cricketing career.

"I'm not on the bones of my a**e," Chappell told News Corp.

"I certainly don't want it to sound like we're in desperate straits, because we're not — but we're not living in luxury either. I think most people assume that, because we played cricket, that we are all living in the lap of luxury. While I'm certainly not crying poor, we're not reaping in the benefits that today's players are," he said.

"
Cricket legend Greg Chappell has revealed going through a financial struggle with his friends pitching in to set up an online fundraising platform to "enhance his last few years", according to a report.

The 75-year-old former Australia captain, who also had a controversial stint as the head coach of the Indian team from 2005-2007, admitted that he is doing fine but is certainly not living a life of luxury as a result of his cricketing career.

"I'm not on the bones of my a**e," Chappell told News Corp.

"I certainly don't want it to sound like we're in desperate straits, because we're not — but we're not living in luxury either. I think most people assume that, because we played cricket, that we are all living in the lap of luxury. While I'm certainly not crying poor, we're not reaping in the benefits that today's players are," he said.

Good of his rich mates like Eddie Maguire to ask the public to do Greg a solid on their behalf. Probably would have been better for them to try and line up some light work advertising/endorsement gigs for him rather than crowd-funding what is essentially just a gift (assuming he isn't drastically understating his situation).

I guess I can't really fault anyone for wanting to have a good financial situation, especially someone past retirement age, but I also feel it is somewhat a perversion of what crowd-funding is for to say "I'm perfectly fine, but hey if you want I wouldn't say no to $250,000" when the whole infrastructure has been built to help people in absolute desperation who have literally nowhere else to turn.

Last edited:
Good of his rich mates like Eddie Maguire to ask the public to do Greg a solid on their behalf. Probably would have been better for them to try and line up some light work advertising/endorsement gigs for him rather than crowd-funding what is essentially just a gift (assuming he isn't drastically understating his situation).

If Greg did want it kept quiet then his mates should have respected his wishes and just had that charity lunch on the down low and not get the general public involved with the gofund me.

A general feel from comments online indicate his image and reputation has been damaged much more than they probably thought it would.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back