Greg Chappell - GoFundMe fundraiser.

Remove this Banner Ad

This is bizarre, almost 100k raised, didn't he have his own range of cricket stores? as well as highly paid coaching gigs? Sounds like he gambled on being even richer than he was, and lost, and is now asking people for money. Also, why is it 250k? that's an absurd amount of money that would take decades for many to save if ever at all.

This is bizarre, almost 100k raised, didn't he have his own range of cricket stores? as well as highly paid coaching gigs? Sounds like he gambled on being even richer than he was, and lost, and is now asking people for money. Also, why is it 250k? that's an absurd amount of money that would take decades for many to save if ever at all.
Was curious about this as well. The greg chappell cricket centre website says he worked for the company in the 70s so they slapped his name on it but he didn't ever actually own it: About Us - Greg Chappell Cricket Centre

Does seem a bit strange.

He wouldn't have earned anywhere near what they do today but one would have thought he'd have enough in his latter year's to live off.

Only speculating, but if he is renting these days, sounds like he might have lost his house (or had to sell it) maybe due to a business deal(s) or investments going down the gurgler

'I'm not on the bones of my arse,' Chappell told News Corp.

'I certainly don't want it to sound like we are in dire straits, because we're not – but we are not living in luxury either.

I think most people assume that because we played cricket that we are all living in the lap of luxury. While I'm certainly not crying poor, we're not reaping in the benefits that today's players are.'

So he isnt actually broke just not living in style he has been accustomed to in past or style he thinks he deserves? Also im sorry when you are asking for a big bucket of cash from strangers you are either crying poor or its a grift you cant claim its legit but that you arent also crying poor.

'I'm not on the bones of my arse,' Chappell told News Corp.

'I certainly don't want it to sound like we are in dire straits, because we're not – but we are not living in luxury either.

I think most people assume that because we played cricket that we are all living in the lap of luxury. While I'm certainly not crying poor, we're not reaping in the benefits that today's players are.'

So he isnt actually broke just not living in style he has been accustomed to in past or style he thinks he deserves? Also im sorry when you are asking for a big bucket of cash from strangers you are either crying poor or its a grift you cant claim its legit but that you arent also crying poor.
Did we know if he approached his mates for help or they just decided to help him with raising money?

Did we know if he approached his mates for help or they just decided to help him with raising money?
Sounds like it was unsolicited by Chappell and put on by a guy who has worked with the Chappell Foundation and does charity drives from this article:
The businessman runs 'Maloney's Long Lunch' every year in Canberra which fundraises thousands of dollars for charities, including the Chappell Foundation's campaign against youth homelessness.
However, having been a long-time friend of Chappell, who used to live in Canberra, Maloney decided to fundraise for the ex-cricketer himself amid his financial issues.
"He doesn't have a lot of money, so I thought we'd do one for him," Maloney said of the 75-year-old who rents his home in Adelaide.

"We got Cricket Australia involved, and Eddie McGuire was the host, James Brayshaw was the MC and Alan Jones gave a beautiful tribute. It was a lovely day.

While it's probably mentioned to promote the idea he's a good guy who deserves a break, feel like it makes Chappell look a lot worse with optics to bring up his charity. According to the Chappell Foundation website they raised what they say is a 'record' $480,000 for their work combatting youth homelessness at their last charity lunch. So if the gofundme gets up Chappell will have raised $20,000 more for himself personally using charity infrastructure than his foundation did for the homeless last year (which to be fair it doesn't seem like it was something he really pushed for himself, and of course his charity has raised a lot more than that in total).

Last edited:

With one guy donating 25k

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds like it was unsolicited by Chappell and put on by a guy who has worked with the Chappell Foundation and does charity drives from this article:

While it's probably mentioned to promote the idea he's a good guy who deserves a break, feel like it makes Chappell look a lot worse with optics to bring up his charity. According to the Chappell Foundation website they raised what they say is a 'record' $480,000 for their work combatting youth homelessness at their last charity lunch. So if the gofundme gets up Chappell will have raised $20,000 more for himself personally using charity infrastructure than his foundation did for the homeless last year (which to be fair it doesn't seem like it was something he really pushed for himself, and of course his charity has raised a lot more than that in total).
The Chappell Foundation's not really his charity, though. The co-founders are listed as him and a businessman named Darshak Mehta, but I can't find a record on the ACNC website, or through their various financial reports, of Greg Chappell ever having been director. It's filled with other cricket or cricket-adjacent people - Moises Henriques, Samantha Lane, Peter Lalor, Malcolm Knox, among others.

Chappell certainly turns up at the events and helps to raise money but it looks like he's lent his name because it can help out a good cause.

Have been pretty baffled by this whole thing, particularly the confusion between the luncheon (which has already happened) and the Go Fund Me page that was setup to raise money for a tribute lunch (supposedly in the future, as money on top of that already raised at the earlier luncheon).

From this article (paywalled) I think this quote makes it a bit clearer:
Maloney said the Go Fund Me page, which is currently up to over $72,000 raised, was set up because it was impractical to organise pay facilities for the one-off lunch held on Monday.

“Normally when we do the lunches we have a pledge card and you have eftpos machines. We didn’t have time to get one set up or at least set up for one event, which would have been pretty onerous,” Maloney said.

“The quickest way to do it was a Go Fund Me page.”
So the page was set up as a way to collect the funds from the luncheon. I think this was a big mistake, possibly initiated with a naivety about the usual function of a Go Fund Me fundraiser.

Instead of discreetly collecting contributions from the big wigs at the lunch, this paints it all over town and implies that they want everyone to chip in. Maybe because they didn't hit the $250k goal at the lunch they throw it open to the public, but that changes the perception massively from a testimonial for a legend into a fundraiser for someone desperate.

Feel sorry for Chappell if he has been railroaded into this scenario without fully understanding the context of a Go Fund Me (how hard is it to set up an eftpos FFS?) and it kind of explains the glib one line description that makes the page more jarring.

Have been pretty baffled by this whole thing, particularly the confusion between the luncheon (which has already happened) and the Go Fund Me page that was setup to raise money for a tribute lunch (supposedly in the future, as money on top of that already raised at the earlier luncheon).

From this article (paywalled) I think this quote makes it a bit clearer:

So the page was set up as a way to collect the funds from the luncheon. I think this was a big mistake, possibly initiated with a naivety about the usual function of a Go Fund Me fundraiser.

Instead of discreetly collecting contributions from the big wigs at the lunch, this paints it all over town and implies that they want everyone to chip in. Maybe because they didn't hit the $250k goal at the lunch they throw it open to the public, but that changes the perception massively from a testimonial for a legend into a fundraiser for someone desperate.

Feel sorry for Chappell if he has been railroaded into this scenario without fully understanding the context of a Go Fund Me (how hard is it to set up an eftpos FFS?) and it kind of explains the glib one line description that makes the page more jarring.
Would be especially weird since the guy who put it on supposedly does these luncheons professionally.

Reminds me of one of the funniest and saddest stories I've ever read...

"About five years ago, Hunter says, he invested almost $70,000 in an invention: an inflatable raft that would sit under furniture. The pitch was that when high-rainfall areas were flooded, consumers could pump up the device, allowing a sofa to float and remain dry."

I think some people are over thinking this.

To me it seems like a guy has had business deals/investments go bad and this has resulted in financial stress in the context of not being able to work due to health issues - his mates have wanted to help out (fair enough) and Greg has reluctantly been roped into the idea.

We shouldn't be shaming people for losing money in business, afterall, society as a whole has benefited immeasurably from the technological advances that have been made possible by people taking a chance motivated by the desire to make money above and beyond the standard 80k a year government wage.

Of course, for every person that gets rich off a business idea, there are many more who end destitute and broken - we shouldn't shame these people.

People don't have to donate to Greg's fundraiser if they don't want to.

Didn't lose it punting on the Dishlickers did he? someone has an abnormal interest in this topic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back