Socceroos (Graham Arnold and) The Socceroos Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I will never forget that day in November 1997 sitting in silence in shock at full-time at the MCG with 80k plus people. It was a pity he couldn’t take us to France 98 who knows what could have happened and in which direction Football in this country would have taken, anyway vale Terry Venables.

Peter Hore should have been deported for it…to start with #imnotbitteriswear

Last edited:
Lebanon game in March locked in to be played at Commbank stadium Parra.

Disagree with this. I feel these sorts of games should be played in places like Gold Coat, Canberra etc etc. Bring the Socceroos to places that don't normally get a chance to see them.

June game vs Palestine I expect should go to either Perth or Adelaide. Disappointing in if goes to Brisvegas.

Disagree with this. I feel these sorts of games should be played in places like Gold Coat, Canberra etc etc. Bring the Socceroos to places that don't normally get a chance to see them.

June game vs Palestine I expect should go to either Perth or Adelaide. Disappointing in if goes to Brisvegas.

Doesn't Western Sydney have a high Lebanese population?

The NSW Government pay to get these games. Otherwise these games would lose a fair amount of money for Football Australia (I think they still do lose a bit).

I doubt any state government would need to pay money for Aus vs Lebanon, it's a nothing fixture.
Johnson literally thanks them for their commitment to get the game in the announcement:

"We are grateful for the support of the NSW Government and Destination NSW. Their commitment has been instrumental in bringing such high-calibre fixtures and events to our shores."

This article from Joey Lynch also addresses why NSW get more Socceroos and Matildas games:

So why the disproportionality? One of the biggest factors is that the NSW government has simply been consistently far more willing to invest properly in hosting international football than other states; the upcoming Cup of Nations, for example, is being staged in partnership with Destination NSW. This, in theory, then frees up Football Australia to invest revenue that otherwise would have been spent on staging games elsewhere.

Johnson literally thanks them for their commitment to get the game in the announcement:

This article from Joey Lynch also addresses why NSW get more Socceroos and Matildas games:

To bid, there would need to be interest from elsewhere. I just can't imagine any state government body saying to FA "hey, here's some money to secure Aust vs Lebanon".

Yeah they were thanked for their commitment which probably entails providing a state government owned venue (Commbank stadium) and logistical support for the fixture.

I still say these sorts of fixtures need to go to places like Canberra / Gold Coast etc to help with development in those areas.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah

Like usual we'll get given crap games then people complain we don't sell tickets so don't deserve good games

Ryan might still be ok yeah? Has a month before tournament starts - I can see us picking him even if unavailable for the group stage.

Leckie re-did his hamstring last night so he surely misses now.
Good. It's time to move on from Leckie. Barely scores at international level and half his caps are against minnows in qualifiers. Find youth and stick with it now. Kuol, Irankunda, Yengi, whoever. Not Leckie

I doubt he'd turn down a place if he was going to be a key player in the Asian Cup squad. He has played little for the Socceroos recently. I'd say he was told he would be a squad player only for the Asian Cup. Better off we have younger players who are desperate for a role in the team anyway. Great guy, great memories from Asian Cup 2015 but not a fan of players who choose to play for Australia when they decide if it suits them or not. For me, if you're called up for your country you answer the call. It's an honor. Especially at his age when it is unlikely he would still be a Socceroo in 2026 for the WC.

Socceroos squad for the Asian Cup

GB6BrEDbEAM16Wd

Remove this Banner Ad

Back