Socceroos (Graham Arnold and) The Socceroos Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not a huge fan of "convincing" players to play for the Socceroos, but I'll trust Arnold if he thinks he'll be great for the system.

I'm not a huge fan of "convincing" players to play for the Socceroos, but I'll trust Arnold if he thinks he'll be great for the system.

The main thing is Volpato now wants to play for the Socceroos. We didn't go down the path of selecting him against his wishes (yes this is possible) because he wasn't committed.

Between Volpato & Irankunda exciting times ahead up front for the Socceroos.

The Celtic boss said in a press conference today [Celtic FC]: “It’s just time. I think he will admit it himself, it’s been a really, really hard transition for him. Just the intensity of the game is totally different to what he’s been used to, so it’s been a challenge for him in training.

“It’s always difficult when you’re a new player coming into a new club and then you’re injured through pre-season and into September. He’s starting to find his feet now in the last three to four weeks.

“It’s going to take him more time, but I’m not in any big rush for Marco. I think he’ll bring himself into the team as quickly as he can produce. But he’s adapting, it’s taken a wee bit longer for him just purely because of the intensity of the game – it’s totally different to where he’s come from.”

Not a great sign for Tilio. Celtic's wingers have been shite this season and he is apparently still a mile off it despite training for over a month since coming back from injury.

Not a great sign for Tilio. Celtic's wingers have been shite this season and he is apparently still a mile off it despite training for over a month since coming back from injury.
Tilio has the talent, but needed another 12 months here to become one of the top local players and make that transition easier.

No pre season not ideal. He needs a few months to settle in. Obviously won't be in the Qatar 24 squad which is probably for the best as it allows him to focus on Celtic.

The future is bright

All we need now is a new Mark Schwarzer level keeper to come through the ranks. Plenty of quality defenders, midfield is decent. Forward line looks like it could be really good in 2-3 years time.

Could it be Gauci? Maybe.

I feel we need to move on from Matty Ryan after Qatar 2024. He's been a brilliant servant to the Socceroos but by the time 2026 comes around he will be 35 and well past his best.

I must say I was completely unaware of Paul Okon jnr playing at Benfica. Doing some research it appears Belgium may be in the process of trying to select him as he was born there when Okon was living in Belgium.

Football Australia surely has to make sure that Paul Okon, a name etched in the history of aussie football, plays for the Socceroos!!

This is how I believe we should liineup at Qatar 2024 as things stand (fitness permitting)

----------------------Ryan--------------------

--Degenek------Souttar--------Rowles--------Bos

------Irvine--------Metcalfe--------Baccus

---Volpato--------Boyle--------Goodwin

Gauci
Glover
Circati
Burgess
Strain
Miller
Behich
Silvera
Luongo
Irankunda
Leckie
Duke

Swansongs for Matt Leckie, Aziz Behich, Matt Ryan & Mitch Duke

Last edited:
This is how I believe we should liineup at Qatar 2024 as things stand (fitness permitting)

Gauci
Glover
Circati
Burgess
Strain
Miller
Behich
Silvera
Luongo
Irankunda
Leckie
Duke

Asian cup id prefer to be more attacking at RB and think Strain/Miller have gone past Degenek.

Big fan of Rowles but wouldnt be against Circati starting , he looked very good. Lot of depth at LCB with Burgess also.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gauci
Glover
Circati
Burgess
Strain
Miller
Behich
Silvera
Luongo
Irankunda
Leckie
Duke

What has Volpato done to be starting for the Socceroos?

Nothing . Cant even be on the bench for Roma . I think he realizes he can't even make the Italy youth teams .
Probably because hes on the bench for the club he plays for Sassulo.

Remind me the finals of European competitions sassulo have played in in the last couple years. I'll wait.
Playing for a team in Serie A still better than what the majority of teams our players play for? Not sure why youre carrying on about a conference league title or what point youre trying to make.

Socceroos thread really brings out the nuffs.

Playing for a team in Serie A still better than what the majority of teams our players play for? Not sure why youre carrying on about a conference league title or what point youre trying to make.

Socceroos thread really brings out the nuffs.
By playing you mean twice right?

You compared Roma to sassulo and now you're backing down. Well done champ 👏

By playing you mean twice right?

You compared Roma to sassulo and now you're backing down. Well done champ 👏
lol the champ, classic

I initially just pointed out to your mate that he doesn't play for Roma. And yeah they are 3 points apart from each other currently - thats just a fact.

Really not sure what Volpato did to you but you do you.

lol the champ, classic

I initially just pointed out to your mate that he doesn't play for Roma. And yeah they are 3 points apart from each other currently - thats just a fact.

Really not sure what Volpato did to you but you do you.
They are 3 points apart, clearly not the same level of club like you tried to insinuate nor is he actually playing for them anyway

They are 3 points apart, clearly not the same level of club like you tried to insinuate nor is he actually playing for them anyway
All I said was they are 3 points apart. I think you've created a lil scenario in that lil noggin of yours. I compared Serie A to other leagues our players play for if thats your issue.

And yeah he hasn't played since October 28th which was their last game. Lol.

ps. I wasn't the one who had him an Aussie XI if thats whats upset you either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back