Goulburn Valley FL 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Might sound like a broken record mate but what an era that was gvfl football is not a spec on the 80s and 90s
What’s happened????

Back then ‘premier’ league footy was a path to the VFL/AFL. Playing 100 GVL games actually meant something in the community.

Now teenagers know that they’re not going to be plucked from obscurity into the AFL. If they’re not ‘talent identified’ they may as well play ‘community’ league with some mates. ‘Premier’ clubs don’t have significantly more money to spend on the better players to keep them.

I'd think mooroopna will be walking away from that game with a huge amount of self belief and gives them a target to aim for

I'd think mooroopna will be walking away from that game with a huge amount of self belief and gives them a target to aim for
Mooroopna were pretty good today. Moved the ball well but considering Echuca had 8 senior players not playing who are walk up starts I wouldn’t get too carried away by the cats performance. Not playing today Ben Reid, Sam Reid, Will Monahan (Captain), Sam Willoughby, Logan Prout,
Echuca had out today. Sam Reid, Ben Reid, Will Monahan, Logan Prout, AJ Mills, Sam Willoughby, Corbin Anderson, Cooper Barber, Callum Parsons and a couple others. Won the twos by 100 points. Kane Morris played 1 quarter. Cats did move the ball well but all the above missing players tells me is that Echuca are even stronger than last year.

Mooroopna were pretty good today. Moved the ball well but considering Echuca had 8 senior players not playing who are walk up starts I wouldn’t get too carried away by the cats performance. Not playing today Ben Reid, Sam Reid, Will Monahan (Captain), Sam Willoughby, Logan Prout,

Echuca had out today. Sam Reid, Ben Reid, Will Monahan, Logan Prout, AJ Mills, Sam Willoughby, Corbin Anderson, Cooper Barber, Callum Parsons and a couple others. Won the twos by 100 points. Kane Morris played 1 quarter. Cats did move the ball well but all the above missing players tells me is that Echuca are even stronger than last year.
Sorry for the “double post” not great on the old posts sorry.

Mooroopna had a few out too. Rutherford, Drummond, Bella and Hunt. There are always outs for every side. I think previous encounters show the cats match up well with Echuca, albeit they’ve only beaten them once.

Let’s not play the who had who put game.
Echuca clearly with more regulars out. Almost every single one of them slot straight back in. MRP always run Echuca although guys like Hunt won’t qualify for finals so no no point acknowledging his absence in the overall bigger picture

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Let’s not play the who had who put game.
Echuca clearly with more regulars out. Almost every single one of them slot straight back in. MRP always run Echuca although guys like Hunt won’t qualify for finals so no no point acknowledging his absence in the overall bigger picture

That’s the point I was trying to make Thermos. Everyone has outs. Willoughby probably in the same boat as Hunt.

That’s the point I was trying to make Thermos. Everyone has outs. Willoughby probably in the same boat as Hunt.
Some outs are worth noting. For instance, a Kyabram without Mick Mattingly, and Lachie Smith is a different beast to the side when they both play. Yes every team has injuries but some are more significant than others.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The problem is the Salary Cap and Points system, Trent. It Continuously pops up as a theme on this and other threads, indicating that it is a major issue for grassroots football. It was meant to save clubs but has had the opposite effect. If you are down the bottom good luck trying to get back up. It either needs a revamp or to be chopped, afterall country football survived 100 years without both.
Absolutely,positively could not agree with this anymore if I tried. Relax ringo , I'm not going to propose 🤣🤣

Last edited:
With the son of O&M legend Mick Wilson, Darcy claiming this weeks Rising Star nomination.

It puts an added chapter behind the story of the Ash-Wilson Trophy that is on offer when the GV play the O&M. With Lachie Ash already proving his worth at AFL level.

To also see Tongala product Harley Reid dominating, we currently have sons of local footy greats carving it up at the elite level. Plus others such as Vandermeer and Rachele, et al. Derek Hall’s son Clay is also on the Eagles list.

Without strong local leagues, the AFL will miss out on these “father-sons”.

Last edited:
Good to see the pussy cats take it up to the Murray bombers on the weekend. Few costly errors probably put them in a position where they couldn’t win.

Good to see Echuca recognise Betsons efforts on Saturday with a 6 pack of Travlas for the trip back up the Murray Valley Highway (not condoning drink driving) as I thought he was enormous.

Wonder if there is a little tactic there trying to fatten him up knowing he is a key figure to their lineup? Is there anything in that?

Time to look forward to this week..

Mansfield easily
Shepparton (40+) over a lacklustre Seymour
Echuca over Euroa (23 points) relatively close considering the history and rivalry. Euroa will be set for this.
Kyabram take care of United (34)
Rochy beat Tat (47)

Thermos hot take: Swans and MRP to draw in a thrilling contest.

What do you think comrades?

Time to look forward to this week..

Mansfield easily
Shepparton (40+) over a lacklustre Seymour
Echuca over Euroa (23 points) relatively close considering the history and rivalry. Euroa will be set for this.
Kyabram take care of United (34)
Rochy beat Tat (47)

Thermos hot take: Swans and MRP to draw in a thrilling contest.

What do you think comrades?

Don't mind these predictions thermos! Euroa get back a few who missed last week? If Trotter can get on the end of a few it'll set up a nice encounter. Seymour = cactus. Team hardly recognisable compared with last season. Long year ahead. Kyabram to learn a lot after a close loss. Big win against United.

Last edited:
Don't mind these predictions thermos! Euroa get back a few who missed last week? If Trotter can get on the end of a few it'll set up a nice encounter. Seymour = cactus. Team hardly recognisable compared with last season. Long year ahead. Kyabram to learn a lot after a close loss. Big win against United.
If Echuca doesn't have Reid x 2, Mills, Prout, S Willoughby,Monahan, etc then Euroa is every chance.

Folks talking about Mooroopna being a challenger this year. Haven't won a flag since 1986. Brave in their loss to Echuca last week. Euroa have challenged but their last was in 1990. Rochester's last Flag was 2008 and all three obviously having a crack this year ... Who of the three (exluding the others) are most likely to challenge the might of Echuca this year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back