Goulburn Valley FL 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the issue will be when the virus hits a club and everyone is affected and players have to isolate for at least 10 days ! Can’t see crowds with the way this is heading!!
Omnicron might see the end of covid with any luck . Highly contagious but less symptomatic .
If it becomes the over whelming variant which it appears to be becoming and then mutates to a even less symptomatic variant, hopefully covid will be less probmatic. Less illness , hospitalisation and hopefully increasing freedom continues to occur.

I think the issue will be when the virus hits a club and everyone is affected and players have to isolate for at least 10 days ! Can’t see crowds with the way this is heading!!

Yeah imagine Thursday night dinner at the club and Friday morning a text from DHHS comes through. Whole club done for Saturday's game both football and netball.

Yep but basketball doesn't compete on the same day as footy, I'd imagine it's the same throughout the state, just look at rochy, Nathalia, kerang, Kyabram, Maffra, Leongatha, Colac, all you know is sport and the culture of the footy club, it's why they're successful

So what makes shep different. What “other” sports take their kids away from Footy ?

Other cities seem to be able to have strong club culture etc

So what makes shep different. What “other” sports take their kids away from Footy ?

Other cities seem to be able to have strong club culture etc
Shepps a multicultural city, you have families there that wouldn't know AFL, they have soccer, and I'm not sure there's that connection with kids aspiring to play senior footy, like there is in smaller towns. Maybe that also goes to sponsoring the clubs as well, there's no tom hafey coming out of AFL to coach a Shepp team, or des Campbell coming back to coach. Yet Hayes will go to eurora, atleys gone to Rochy, Reid and Walker to Echuca all with ties to those clubs, there's no pull for guys to come back to Shepp.

Nathalia has kids travel to its town for high school from as far as Finley and beyond , Kyabram has two high schools . I’d say that has a significant impact on getting kids to those clubs which other clubs simply don’t have . Kyabram had multiple junior sides in an age group 30 years ago.
How many gun Finley players, switch to Nathalia or even toc guys, I reckon most would stay at their home club, maybe the kdfl clubs should have a mou with those junior clubs to get players, it's a tough caper if you're in the middle of nowhere to juniors, which are you're lifeblood, no juniors makes it hard to survive no matter how good of a commitee you have, I can't see mitamo (the home of ken sheldon) in the LV last much longer because of no juniors, even though they can get state league players to go there and play

How many gun Finley players, switch to Nathalia or even toc guys, I reckon most would stay at their home club, maybe the kdfl clubs should have a mou with those junior clubs to get players, it's a tough caper if you're in the middle of nowhere to juniors, which are you're lifeblood, no juniors makes it hard to survive no matter how good of a commitee you have, I can't see mitamo (the home of ken sheldon) in the LV last much longer because of no juniors, even though they can get state league players to go there and play
Smaller communities issue isn’t just only losing ‘Gun’ players to major cities , it’s losing any players.

The wheels look a bit wonky on Benalla for 2022 with Nick Warnock heading to Myrtleford as well now. Was announced as a re signing by the Saints and has now back flipped.
I’ve heard from multiple sources that there is a view/ expectation that the seniors will be the only football grade in the GVL this year that has all sides , with reserves , u16’s missing at least 4 sides and the under 18’s 2 .
Additionally , it has been suggested that the GVL’s financials for the 2021 season would have looked a lot worst had the local commission not given them some assistance .

I’ve heard from multiple sources that there is a view/ expectation that the seniors will be the only football grade in the GVL this year that has all sides , with reserves , u16’s missing at least 4 sides and the under 18’s 2 .
Additionally , it has been suggested that the GVL’s financials for the 2021 season would have looked a lot worst had the local commission not given them some assistance .
That's a sad state of affairs for footy

The wheels look a bit wonky on Benalla for 2022 with Nick Warnock heading to Myrtleford as well now. Was announced as a re signing by the Saints and has now back flipped.

Never looks good when the club announces a re-signing then for them to sign elsewhere.

Lual one of the Werribee boys has supposedly left Seymour after signing on also. Not sure the in's & outs but a solid player leaving the Den.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does a move back to the O&M fix em up?
They've been pretty strong through all grades for most of the last decade I don't think the O & M would be on their radar. The GVFL Reserves Competition is under siege with more players electing to head to District Comps & in general more guys just not playing.

Does a move back to the O&M fix em up?
Don't think it would enable them to get more players involved. Football is becoming more about the location and what town has to offer. Teams closer to Melbourne have a huge advantage. Also, towns such as Echuca, Yarrawonga and are renowned holiday places seem to have the capacity to lure players more easily.

That’s even with the forced closure a few years back of Swanpool and Tatong.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Benalla had what many thoughts was one of the best junior footy comps in country vic . It was allowing Benalla to continue to be self sufficient .
Against those involved wishes it was closed down not long after swanpool and tatong was closed down .
Not surprisingly football junior numbers in that area have gone pear shape ever since and open age footy numbers are now representing that decline in numbers .

Don't think it would enable them to get more players involved. Football is becoming more about the location and what town has to offer. Teams closer to Melbourne have a huge advantage. Also, towns such as Echuca, Yarrawonga and are renowned holiday places seem to have the capacity to lure players more easily.
Things are not that swimmingly at Yarra ringo1 . They had a mass walk out of 3rds last year who followed the ex coach to Mul . Not sure what occurred but when stuff like that happens it generally takes years to recover .

Last edited:
I wasn’t aware of that but the recruitment of the two Wheelers, Masters, Fothergill and now Gibbons would indicate they will be strong next year. I’m concerned about the strength of footy in the Shep area. United, Bears and Swans won’t win a lot of games between them. Mooroopna should play finals. Tatura also seem a long way off the mark.

I wasn’t aware of that but the recruitment of the two Wheelers, Masters, Fothergill and now Gibbons would indicate they will be strong next year. I’m concerned about the strength of footy in the Shep area. United, Bears and Swans won’t win a lot of games between them. Mooroopna should play finals. Tatura also seem a long way off the mark.
And if you look further into other surrounding leagues the story doesn’t get much better .
The issue starts with the transition of juniors into senior ranks and whilst there is no consultation between parties in making changes it will only get worst .
GVL u16’s will only accelerate the demise of clubs and likewise the changing of SDJFL that was done as a result of agave u16’s , all due to matters that were identified in the junior football review that was conducted .
Had the findings / recommendations of the junior review been done the whole of the Shepparton region would have looked alot more promising .

I think a number of Benalla guys have gone to the om this year as myrtleford will or should play finals, depending if they can squeeze all their players in the points, Benalla were going to struggle to make the six, maybe some guys needed a change of scenery as well, but you'd think a number of those guys will return. It's of concern that Shepp United, benalla and maybe more clubs will be no stronger than district clubs, I don't think Shepp United would win the kdfl if they were paying in it in 2022.

Footy is turning into an elitist sport, how many guys are happy to rock up for a kick and laugh and enjoyment of the game in the reserves, it seems footy has gone too far professionally in the country that it's lost th enjoyment factor to get 50 guys to play, as if they don't think they're going to make AFL they give up. Is it the end of reserves footy?
I see Geelong is going to try run a Friday night comp for young guys who miss out on getting a game in the two 19_23 year Olds to try keep them involved, as ringo says who wants to live in Shepp when you can live in geelong

I think a number of Benalla guys have gone to the om this year as myrtleford will or should play finals, depending if they can squeeze all their players in the points, Benalla were going to struggle to make the six, maybe some guys needed a change of scenery as well, but you'd think a number of those guys will return. It's of concern that Shepp United, benalla and maybe more clubs will be no stronger than district clubs, I don't think Shepp United would win the kdfl if they were paying in it in 2022.

Footy is turning into an elitist sport, how many guys are happy to rock up for a kick and laugh and enjoyment of the game in the reserves, it seems footy has gone too far professionally in the country that it's lost th enjoyment factor to get 50 guys to play, as if they don't think they're going to make AFL they give up. Is it the end of reserves footy?
I see Geelong is going to try run a Friday night comp for young guys who miss out on getting a game in the two 19_23 year Olds to try keep them involved, as ringo says who wants to live in Shepp when you can live in geelong
Plenty of people want to just ‘ Have a Kick’ at community sport level and plenty are prepared to train at a high level for the purpose of playing in an elite level comp . IMO that has been somewhat the demise of the GVL .
The messaging intentionally or not is that the league has wished to tame it down a bit and promote itself less of an elite level and more grass root level , whilst the expectation of players at club level has remained at a high level .
IMO it’s been a real identity issue ,striving to be as elite as possible such as O&M, which comes with doing everything available to promote , or be a community league ?
What exactly is the GVL atm ?? There appears to be a foot in each court as so to speak and I think it is deterring players .

Plenty of people want to just ‘ Have a Kick’ at community sport level and plenty are prepared to train at a high level for the purpose of playing in an elite level comp . IMO that has been somewhat the demise of the GVL .
The messaging intentionally or not is that the league has wished to tame it down a bit and promote itself less of an elite level and more grass root level , whilst the expectation of players at club level has remained at a high level .
IMO it’s been a real identity issue ,striving to be as elite as possible such as O&M, which comes with doing everything available to promote , or be a community league ?
What exactly is the GVL atm ?? There appears to be a foot in each court as so to speak and I think it is deterring players .
How many nights a week are you expected to train playing gv footy now?

How many nights a week are you expected to train playing gv footy now?
I would think 2! Three is a push. I've said it before; to plays reserves is expensive. A return trip to Mansfield from Echuca and gate entry would see $100 gone pretty quickly. Add in boots, memberships, social functions and possible injury expenses, I get why some have no interest and would rather work.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back