Goulburn Valley FL 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Please old mate don’t take this question the wrong way as you know what I think of you…but you are also more qualified than most to answer it….how much can pd and mentoring and upskllikng of country footy coaches impact weekend results?
It probably increases the likelihood they continue coaching in the future, most guys seem to do it a max 2 years, as I said they watch their game on a Sunday or Monday, then the opposition, do some edits for players, as that's what AFL coaches do, hold meetings etc, they become burnt out, by the hours put in.

I'm not sure at country level it's that necessary, maybe AFL Vic could have a coaches mentor as a job to help with life balance

Please old mate don’t take this question the wrong way as you know what I think of you…but you are also more qualified than most to answer it….how much can pd and mentoring and upskllikng of country footy coaches impact weekend results?
Mate its more the support and staying up to new trends in the game.There is not a lot of support for coaches. Level one courses are basic and then we stop developing coaches by making it very difficult to obtain a Level 2 and 3 accreditation. As for Level 4 its a closed shop. Coaches need to be given every tool available to enhance their coaching.

Mate its more the support and staying up to new trends in the game.There is not a lot of support for coaches. Level one courses are basic and then we stop developing coaches by making it very difficult to obtain a Level 2 and 3 accreditation. As for Level 4 its a closed shop. Coaches need to be given every tool available to enhance their coaching.
The most important thing any club can have is a committed group of players. A good coach helps, as does quality recruitment, but unless your core group has the same goal, a commitment to training and playing, you're fighting a losing battle... IMO 😁

Recently obtained my level 2, was interested in continuing on and doing my level 3 and was told I need to coach for another couple of years to be eligible. Seemed like a bit of a high horse thing for those that are at that level and above. Why not provide the training if I’m willing and able?

Recently obtained my level 2, was interested in continuing on and doing my level 3 and was told I need to coach for another couple of years to be eligible. Seemed like a bit of a high horse thing for those that are at that level and above. Why not provide the training if I’m willing and able?
Couldn't agree more. Although going through the levels doesn't ensure that a coach has success, it does provide great learnings. For the life of me I don't know why coaches have a cap placed upon learning opportunities.

Last edited:
Perhaps some form of elitism but coaches need all the support that they can get. We bang on about football being inclusive and a game for all...just not when it comes to coaching development.
Most would like football to be inclusive and the AFL believes it is .
But like coaching and as you and I both know , elite pathways is also often influenced by name , background and whose back has been scratched by whom.

Most would like football to be inclusive and the AFL believes it is .
But like coaching and as you and I both know , elite pathways is also often influenced by name , background and whose back has been scratched by whom.
Yep most of the kids drafted are through the private school system now, the tac cup has turned into a minor component of been drafted, with huge costs for parents to travel round the state, add to the fact that coaches are also paid way more to coach in that system, footy is now an elitest sport, run by private school boys

Yep most of the kids drafted are through the private school system now, the tac cup has turned into a minor component of been drafted, with huge costs for parents to travel round the state, add to the fact that coaches are also paid way more to coach in that system, footy is now an elitest sport, run by private school boys

Seems like an opportune time to get the next crop of kids to have the ambition of playing 200 senior games in their local comp, rather than feeling like the dream is over at 19 when they don’t get drafted.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who cares Roar. Aucklander has been a good man on here over a couple of difficult years. I would not like his job with the many strong and diverse personalities on this forum.
I care and it wasn’t having a crack at Aucklander nor the job he’s done .
Why make things messy , we are as good as a month out from 2022 , why not start once it is 2022 . It’s not life changing but imo just makes no sense to change now .
It’s literally a 2 minute job to roll it over .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back