Goulburn Valley FL 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 13, 2007
THE TAN
AFL Club
Richmond
I like it in theory but when Willy and Port Melb are actually better teams than many AFL reserves teams then they’d dominate the league. Traralgon and Bendigo ended up as disasters and North Ballarat self imploded.
That was in the prior format, if GVL kids could play in the VFL and still be in the area I'd be tipping a lot more would stay in the GVL, which in turn would strengthen the GVL and weaken the current non AFL aligned sides like Willy and Port.

I like it in theory but when Willy and Port Melb are actually better teams than many AFL reserves teams then they’d dominate the league. Traralgon and Bendigo ended up as disasters and North Ballarat self imploded.

Traralgon went about it the wrong way not inclusive of gippsland area needed to be like Gippsland Power set up

That was in the prior format, if GVL kids could play in the VFL and still be in the area I'd be tipping a lot more would stay in the GVL, which in turn would strengthen the GVL and weaken the current non AFL aligned sides like Willy and Port.
I just forsee many frustrated and disappointed clubs.

Recruiting players to build a specific club situation under the auspices of an AFL directed system of salary caps and points systems is problematic in itself. A GVL team in a VFL competition would simply add to the difficulties of competing. There are already loyal club members deciding It's all too hard.

I just forsee many frustrated and disappointed clubs.

Recruiting players to build a specific club situation under the auspices of an AFL directed system of salary caps and points systems is problematic in itself. A GVL team in a VFL competition would simply add to the difficulties of competing. There are already loyal club members deciding It's all too hard.
I think everyone has realised the points and salary cap system is a load of wank, achieves nothing it was supposedly set out to do and unless it undertakes a massive overhaul it needs to go.
GVL clubs have long had players on their list who have been subject to availability . Eg TAC or VFL . That of course was before the VFL requested they play metro footy when not playing VFL and TAC cups telling them they can’t play when not playing TAC .
I think and are happy that the TAC or NAB cup comp is on its last legs , sooner it goes the better . Some changes in the past few years to elitism( big headed attitude) has destroyed it and its relationship with country clubs .

I think everyone has realised the points and salary cap system is a load of wank, achieves nothing it was supposedly set out to do and unless it undertakes a massive overhaul it needs to go.
GVL clubs have long had players on their list who have been subject to availability . Eg TAC or VFL . That of course was before the VFL requested they play metro footy when not playing VFL and TAC cups telling them they can’t play when not playing TAC .
I think and are happy that the TAC or NAB cup comp is on its last legs , sooner it goes the better . Some changes in the past few years to elitism( big headed attitude) has destroyed it and its relationship with country clubs .

one of the problems we found from the couple of kids we have had at TAC cup level, and it’s not that many. They were never allowed to play with us when they weren’t playing TAC cup because they had to “Rest” FFS they are 18 year old kids. I went to school in Kilmore and it was nothing for us to play 1st xviii games on Friday Saturday and Sunday when we were that age. Very frustrating for the clubs that want to have their young guns when they can.

one of the problems we found from the couple of kids we have had at TAC cup level, and it’s not that many. They were never allowed to play with us when they weren’t playing TAC cup because they had to “Rest” FFS they are 18 year old kids. I went to school in Kilmore and it was nothing for us to play 1st xviii games on Friday Saturday and Sunday when we were that age. Very frustrating for the clubs that want to have their young guns when they can.

exactly...clubs would be more engaging with the TAC or VFL clubs if their boys were able to return and play on bye weekends or whatever...but it rarely happens now

exactly...clubs would be more engaging with the TAC or VFL clubs if their boys were able to return and play on bye weekends or whatever...but it rarely happens now
Is this a recent directive? Delido got bog in a bye for bushies at Kyabram before he went number 1 and I remember playing against guys who had byes, sometimes in 3rds when tac cup team had byes. Paul McMahon got bog in a senior interleague game for the northern Echuca league during the bye when he was 17.

I would imagine it would be pretty hard to entice young guys to stay in Shepp to play vfl, it would be more beneficial to have sides in Bendigo, Albury, Geelong, traralgon and Ballarat, where only Ballarat had some success doing this and ended up folding.

I still think it's better to up the age of bottom tier comp to under 19s, so it allows kids to finish year 12, with either each club allowed to draft 1, 18 year old or just allow the first 25 in the draft to be 18 year Olds. Less travel involved and let the kids either concentrate on school or play seniors at their local club, before they move and play in the tac cup.

Personally, I always wanted our
boys playing football but sometimes a directive came from AFL people for potential draftees to be rested which I didn’t agree with. VFL clubs generally want players playing local football if not picked. Preference is to have a mini carnival for talented potential draftees over a four week period and then allow them to play at home and stay involved at their local club and in school.

Didn't dusty kick a big bag against golden square at their peak winning flags, he may have kicked 6 in the first half on champion square and interleague Backman Anthony holdstock

boys playing football but sometimes a directive came from AFL people for potential draftees to be rested which I didn’t agree with. VFL clubs generally want players playing local football if not picked. Preference is to have a mini carnival for talented potential draftees over a four week period and then allow them to play at home and stay involved at their local club and in school.

The grim reaper made a number of changes before exiting the building including moving on many good people within talent programs who were aware of the need for a good relationship with communities and clubs . The attitude that was implemented was one of little regard for country clubs.

Not sure Roar..Willy only have 2 GV based players and generally recruit the best NAB league undrafted talent and AFL delistings. Not sure if the exact numbers but would think we’d have 8-10 ex AFL players on the list.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure Roar..Willy only have 2 GV based players and generally recruit the best NAB league undrafted talent and AFL delistings. Not sure if the exact numbers but would think we’d have 8-10 ex AFL players on the list.
Assume it’s not the case , however if a club like Willy was to have a couple from each premier league across the state it would end up a decent enough number . Premier leagues having a VFL side would , like Willy , have ex AFL and Non drafted NAB players join their ranks which can only be a good thing .
Footy in Vic and in Country Vic has been at its strongest when the states premier country leagues have been at their strongest and when there has been no pre-requisite to follow a defined pathway . Eg players able to go straight from GVL onto a AFL list .
This crap about having to have played X, Y or Z and having to have done this program and this academy , now down to as low as 10-11 years old , is bullshit and is killing football.
In 2019 prior to COVID I doubt I had ever seen such low interest from clubs and talented players, or their parents, in being involved in the Vline or Nab programs, which IMO was reflected by the quality of squads .

Last edited:
Assume it’s not the case , however if a club like Willy was to have a couple from each premier league across the state it would end up a decent enough number . Premier leagues having a VFL side would , like Willy , have ex AFL and Non drafted NAB players join their ranks which can only be a good thing .
Footy in Vic and in Country Vic has been at its strongest when the states premier country leagues have been at their strongest and when there has been no pre-requisite to follow a defined pathway . Eg players able to go straight from GVL onto a AFL list .
This crap about having to have played X, Y or Z and having to have done this program and this academy , now down to as low as 10-11 years old , is bullshit and is killing football.
In 2019 prior to COVID I doubt I had ever seen such low interest from clubs and talented players, or their parents, in being involved in the Vline or Nab programs, which IMO was reflected by the quality of squads .

The Junior Academies should be scrapped. The coaches are generally local coaches anyhow. Young kids are sold a dream that they can get drafted from academies and the like but its a ruse. 3 percent of NAB league players get drafted so once you do the sums its pretty obvious these academies are not making one bit of difference.The NAB league will fall over and the sooner we return to AFL U/19's the better and that includes the VFL sides having a team. For instance the Western Jets become Willy etc. Just my opinion.

Young players learn so much playing senior football against older, wiser and more experienced players. I just cannot fathom the reasoning of the “so called“ experts who think these players need to be rested when the large majority never progress to the elite level. The system is flawed and relationships between local clubs and the TAC/ NAB Cup clubs are generally fractured/ non existent due to their often arrogant and “know all” attitudes.

The “holier/ amighty” attitudes of those involved at the TAC/NAB Cup level has constantly frustrated me over my coaching journey in leading a few clubs. Most of the people at this level have had minimal experience (sometimes only at junior level) and believe they know everything which is in the best interests of a young man who often just wants to play football and most importantly enjoy it and make friends along the way.

TAC/NAB clubs need local footy clubs but in many cases you would not think so.....

Young players learn so much playing senior football against older, wiser and more experienced players. I just cannot fathom the reasoning of the “so called“ experts who think these players need to be rested when the large majority never progress to the elite level. The system is flawed and relationships between local clubs and the TAC/ NAB Cup clubs are generally fractured/ non existent due to their often arrogant and “know all” attitudes.

The “holier/ amighty” attitudes of those involved at the TAC/NAB Cup level has constantly frustrated me over my coaching journey in leading a few clubs. Most of the people at this level have had minimal experience (sometimes only at junior level) and believe they know everything which is in the best interests of a young man who often just wants to play football and most importantly enjoy it and make friends along the way.

TAC/NAB clubs need local footy clubs but in many cases you would not think so.....
The attitude is handed over with the hoodie . 😂
There have been some good people with good intent involved at TAC /NAB level , unfortunately they are getting fewer .

The Junior Academies should be scrapped. The coaches are generally local coaches anyhow. Young kids are sold a dream that they can get drafted from academies and the like but its a ruse. 3 percent of NAB league players get drafted so once you do the sums its pretty obvious these academies are not making one bit of difference.The NAB league will fall over and the sooner we return to AFL U/19's the better and that includes the VFL sides having a team. For instance the Western Jets become Willy etc. Just my opinion.
parents of and the academy kids themselves getting the shits because they can’t get a game or perform to the level of those not in academies , at club or interleague level is becoming more apparent .

parents of and the academy kids themselves getting the shits because they can’t get a game or perform to the level of those not in academies , at club or interleague level is becoming more apparent .
Every parent thinks their kid is going to get drafted and when reality hits the fingers are pointed at the coaches. Not only that, late developing kids are not chosen and then feel that their future is limited and give the game away. They need to be disbanded and stay involved at their home club

Remove this Banner Ad

Back