Boxing Golovkin vs Canelo Alvarez II - September 16 T-Mobile Arena Vegas

Remove this Banner Ad

Cracking fight, definitely needs a third chapter next year.

I couldn't split them, another draw would have been the fairest result.

I had it as a GGG win, he was a lot more precise, he out boxed Canelo and was clearly the guy finishing stronger. I think we all knew based on the judges scoring from the last fight that GGG needed to knock Canelo out or win even more convincingly.

Not the right result but expected

What did you guys have rounds?

GGG - 8 clear rounds
Canelo - 4

Time for computer technology to judge, pathetic that in this day and age we leave it to the special interests to judge fights.

Yeah guys. Just got back from watching the fight. I wasn't phased By canelo's early domination, I knew GGG would come home like a jet like the last time. When I heard the first judge award it a draw, I though that wtf here we gone again. I thought worst case scenario was that G would get a draw, but that was before the last round which he won. Then when I heard the last two judges awarded it to the same guy I thought cool GGG got the nod. When they announced Canelo got it I'm like yeah right ripped off not once but twice. Then it occurred a Mexican as world champion is more appealing then a Kazakh for Vegas and the " world " of boxing.

Yeah guys. Just got back from watching the fight. I wasn't phased By canelo's early domination, I knew GGG would come home like a jet like the last time. When I heard the first judge award it a draw, I though that wtf here we gone again. I thought worst case scenario was that G would get a draw, but that was before the last round which he won. Then when I heard the last two judges awarded it to the same guy I thought cool GGG got the nod. When they announced Canelo got it I'm like yeah right ripped off not once but twice. Then it occurred a Mexican as world champion is more appealing then a Kazakh for Vegas and the " world " of boxing.

I watched Mayweather pitch a near shut out against Canelo, only for one just to score the fight a draw. So I am not surprised Canelo would get the nod in a close fight against GGG. I scored the fight for GGG but I don't really have any problems with the result. It was a close fight with a lot of close rounds. I actually scored the first fight for Canelo when most people scored it GGG. This one the opposite. Close fights. This one was a closer fight.

Lads, do you expect anything less? It’s Independence Day in Mexico, promoted by Oscar Dela Hoya and fought in Vegas. Pathetically bad situation for GGG, so sad for such a legend and gentlemen and might I add a clean boxer.

Kinda gutted for GGG I thought he edged it. Who did you guys have winning round 12? 2 Judges had CA winning that one and I thought that was a fairly clear GGG round.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Man I'm gutted for GGG. His legacy was on the line. Just sucks...

That being said, I don't believe it was a robbery. It was a real close fight. The first one was a robbery. This one wasn't.

The tempo of the fight belonged to Canelo. He landed more powerful shots across the 12 rounds, threw better combinations. GGG kept landing the jab but kept sitting on the right hand as if he was waiting for the perfect opening. GGG also forgot that Canelo has a body, or he otherwise refused to take a chance to hit Canelo's body, whereas Canelo mixed it up quite well.

GGG had some great rounds, rallied like a champ...but then refused to press home his advantage in the final round. If he'd finished more strongly then he probably would have got the decision. As it is, I think that Canelo was a deserving winner.

It was a good fight. Boxing deserves more occasions like these.

Last edited:
Man I'm gutted for GGG. His legacy was on the line. Just sucks...

That being said, I don't believe it was a robbery. It was a real close fight. The first one was a robbery. This one wasn't.

It's a funny thing. GGG landed more shots, but his most effective punch was easily the left jab. While Canelo landed less punches across the fight, he was landing more variety (e.g. hooks and body shots). He also landed stronger punches throughout, in my opinion.

They both hurt each other, they both rallied when hurt. Canelo looked decidedly wobbly in the later rounds, GGG looked beaten up and rather old.

A close fight? Definitely. A robbery? Definitely not.

One part of me wants another fight between the two, but I wonder how much GGG has to offer. I'm not sure that the last instalment of a trilogy could be anything other than a disappointment.

It's a funny thing. GGG landed more shots, but his most effective punch was easily the left jab. While Canelo landed less punches across the fight, he was landing more variety (e.g. hooks and body shots). He also landed stronger punches throughout, in my opinion.

They both hurt each other, they both rallied when hurt. Canelo looked decidedly wobbly in the later rounds, GGG looked beaten up and rather old.

A close fight? Definitely. A robbery? Definitely not.

One part of me wants another fight between the two, but I wonder how much GGG has to offer. I'm not sure that the last instalment of a trilogy could be anything other than a disappointment.

Thought that was the aim in boxing, hit the other bloke more then he hits you, doesn't matter if Canelo threw a greater variety of punches, or stronger ones, Golovkin (IMO) landed considerably more punches and should have got the decision.

Anyway, time to hang up the gloves now I reckon, can't see Canelo's camp agreeing to him defending his title against GGG in a neutral country with neutral judges, and after copping two crook decisions in America I can't see Golovkin ever getting a decision in his favour there.

Thought that was the aim in boxing, hit the other bloke more then he hits you, doesn't matter if Canelo threw a greater variety of punches, or stronger ones, Golovkin (IMO) landed considerably more punches and should have got the decision.

The aim is to hit and not get hit, but the mechanics of decision-making are a bit more complicated than that. Most broadly, the contest is won by the fighter who wins the most rounds, not the fighter who lands the most punches. Sometimes they'll be one and the same, but not always. A fighter can put on a savage 3-4 rounds where they land 50 more punches than their opponent in each of those rounds, but if they've been slightly but clearly out-boxed in the other 8 rounds then they will (quite rightly) lose the fight, even if they've landed a greater number of punches across the 12 rounds. The trick is to win rounds, not to win the punch count.

Golovkin put together some very strong rounds towards the end of the fight, but it seems to me that he turned up to the fight too late. His strong rounds were brutally impressive, but it was too little and too late, although if he'd pressed his advantage harder in that final round then he would have won the fight.

The aim is to hit and not get hit, but the mechanics of decision-making are a bit more complicated than that. Most broadly, the contest is won by the fighter who wins the most rounds, not the fighter who lands the most punches. Sometimes they'll be one and the same, but not always. A fighter can put on a savage 3-4 rounds where they land 50 more punches than their opponent in each of those rounds, but if they've been slightly but clearly out-boxed in the other 8 rounds then they will (quite rightly) lose the fight, even if they've landed a greater number of punches across the 12 rounds. The trick is to win rounds, not to win the punch count.

Golovkin put together some very strong rounds towards the end of the fight, but it seems to me that he turned up to the fight too late. His strong rounds were brutally impressive, but it was too little and too late, although if he'd pressed his advantage harder in that final round then he would have won the fight.
I concur with this generally.
Was impressed with Canelo holding his ground in centre of ring, his counter and counter countering was good. He was also a good winner humble enough and gave due credit. I am more of a fan now than before.

GGG's strategy confused me initially...he didnt get off enough, though his defence was really good. By later rounds he looked good in attack, had Canelo in trouble at one point.

Overall we got what it was, a past his best 36 yo still with some animal but not quite what he was against a young skilled fighter close to his peak. A draw was what I saw and cant quibble about rhe result. Round 12 ref scores I thought were interesting with canelo getting the nod whereas I saw it the other way.

Top notch fight. Can't and wont complain.

I concur with this generally.
Was impressed with Canelo holding his ground in centre of ring, his counter and counter countering was good. He was also a good winner humble enough and gave due credit. I am more of a fan now than before.

GGG's strategy confused me initially...he didnt get off enough, though his defence was really good. By later rounds he looked good in attack, had Canelo in trouble at one point.

Overall we got what it was, a past his best 36 yo still with some animal but not quite what he was against a young skilled fighter close to his peak. A draw was what I saw and cant quibble about rhe result. Round 12 ref scores I thought were interesting with canelo getting the nod whereas I saw it the other way.

Top notch fight. Can't and wont complain.

Haven't re-watched the fight from yesterday, but from memory I thought that GGG started that final round pretty well, but then let Canelo regain control of it. The judges always love a strong finisher, so maybe that's how they saw it as well.

I was equally baffled by GGG's first 7-8 rounds, and his refusal to throw the right hand was a lowlight of the fight.

Haven't re-watched the fight from yesterday, but from memory I thought that GGG started that final round pretty well, but then let Canelo regain control of it. The judges always love a strong finisher, so maybe that's how they saw it as well.

I was equally baffled by GGG's first 7-8 rounds, and his refusal to throw the right hand was a lowlight of the fight.
I hope G has something left. Now his 0 is gone he may losen up in the 3rd fight and be aggressive from the get go. But that will be 1 more year down the track.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back