Golf Golf technique

Remove this Banner Ad

Seve’s chipping lesson on YouTube in Dubai is being played on the same course right now. 30 years is a long time in Dubai. And on technique, he hits about 40 different shots with his sand wedge.

Agreed but this is a Golf technique thread iDon - as such this topic needs to be discussed in that context.
My technique sux compared to Seve

Technique discussed

Sad but true

Got to single digits once upon a time. Bought a 60 degree wedge. Handicap went back out to double digits. Sold lob wedge.

Nah just kidding.

Enjoy using it. More confidence for some reason with it. Especially out of bunkers.

Watched an instructor use a pitching wedge and 9i to hit bunker shots around a green. But he’s a better player than me so I used the lobby

The slice

Has anyone had any success in later life (ie 40 plus) in correcting it?

I've had a couple of lessons, watched YouTube etc but it seems ingrained in my game now and wonder if the best I can do now is try and limit the horror ones rather than truly eradicate it

I had one, worked hard on technical flaws and still going but I've nearly eliminated it.

The slice

I've had a couple of lessons, watched YouTube etc but it seems ingrained in my game now and wonder if the best I can do now is try and limit the horror ones rather than truly eradicate it

Lessons in person the best approach. In the meantime, call it a power fade. Sounds better.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Haha I'd hit a PW. Problem is some of them go 160 and aren't thins. So then I hit a 51 or something, max out at 150 so then it's going 135-140.
So I take PW and try and take some off it. I take too much and it goes 130.

It's a mess I tell ya
Its a good problem to have given when you take too much off you PW you are still flying it past the average PW distance for the pros on the PGA tour. (124m)

The slice

Yep. Played golf socially e.g Xmas hols and here and there since a teen but 1st started playing regularly and having a handicap mid 40s. Next 10 years went around the 11-14 handicap mainly. Slice was my main swing problem.

Got given a gift of 2 lessons with Rohan Dummett at Melbourne Golf Academy. Went along and he watched me hit a few balls, thenhe asked me what i wanted.

2 options

A. A few tips to improve some aspects of my game
B. Learn how to hit a golf ball

A could be achieved with the 2 lessons, B would require commitment. It was good selling and I was an easy mark.

I went for B. He then said I would characterise my current swing as weak and lazy. At that time I was under the impression I went alright. So I went to him on and off for the next few years and worked. I rarely slice now, essentially never. If I go right off the tee or fairway its a push not a slice which is what you expect if your basic shot is a draw. Best GA has been 6.1. The answer I believe is get lessons form someone who can teach and explain and whose theory you get a good feel for. Rohan D did it for me plus he is mad Collingwood. I hit 6.1 in my 60's and I think I will better that still so its not too late. You have to commit to the work though.

Its a good problem to have given when you take too much off you PW you are still flying it past the average PW distance for the pros on the PGA tour. (124m)

Not ideal when it isn't consistent but I do hit a large ball. Hopefully my swing continues to fix and the length reduces so that I have more consistency with my distances

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not ideal when it isn't consistent but I do hit a large ball. Hopefully my swing continues to fix and the length reduces so that I have more consistency with my distances
With a lot of length you can afford to just play tempo. Swing 80% or 90% all the time. Will give you distance control and you will still have plenty of length and good gaps. You would cut a lot of shots off your handicap immediately

With a lot of length you can afford to just play tempo. Swing 80% or 90% all the time. Will give you distance control and you will still have plenty of length and good gaps. You would cut a lot of shots off your handicap immediately

Interesting, might add that to the things I need to continue to do 😂

Interesting, might add that to the things I need to continue to do 😂
Do a practice round and try and hit all your irons at 90%. You wont have any trouble with length cause you have as much as you need but I bet you are much more accurate and distance better dialled in. Longhittters I reckon can get sucked into thinking every shot needs to be long, it doesnt. When you really go after a shot margin for error increases.

Remember the PGA pros mostly dont go full on every shot. They hit down on their driver cause the loss of length doesn't worry them compared to the better control. Whereas the LPGA pros hit the driver on the up because they have great control but increasing distance is still a bit of a game changer at their length.

Do a practice round and try and hit all your irons at 90%. You wont have any trouble with length cause you have as much as you need but I bet you are much more accurate and distance better dialled in. Longhittters I reckon can get sucked into thinking every shot needs to be long, it doesnt. When you really go after a shot margin for error increases.

Remember the PGA pros mostly dont go full on every shot. They hit down on their driver cause the loss of length doesn't worry them compared to the better control. Whereas the LPGA pros hit the driver on the up because they have great control but increasing distance is still a bit of a game changer at their length.

Thanks for the insight, interesting thoughts there. Will trial it at the range / in a round soon

The slice

i have managed to control my slice from a youtube vid (a very simple drill) i posted a couple of pages back. Can hit a slice on demand when needed but otherwise its gone - im closing in on 50 so its certainly achievable.
its all about swing path and getting that feeling of what a good repeatable swing feels like for me. Once i have that in my head i can reproduce it more often than not. 6 months ago hitting a draw was a one off chance event for me; now it's a shot i can hit when i want to.
ive dropped 2 shots from my handicap in the last month from controlling the slice.

it may not work for everyone but it certainly helped me and i use this drill for the first few driver swings i hit on the range every time i play now as a little reminder.

Gee. That's elite! Well done.

How?

Was driving back to Shepp from Melbourne and got sick of work calls.
So I rang in and answered a comp question

How many runs will Windies make on day 1.
Everyone went from 90- 220

I went 262

Nearest the pin wins

266 = winner winner

Remove this Banner Ad

Back