Golf Golf technique

Remove this Banner Ad

Haha I'd hit a PW. Problem is some of them go 160 and aren't thins. So then I hit a 51 or something, max out at 150 so then it's going 135-140.
So I take PW and try and take some off it. I take too much and it goes 130.

It's a mess I tell ya
The 51 is the club. The miss is short, the Max is bang on. Practice your 15m chips and putts and you'll be a low single handicap. You don't have to change how you hit, you just have to know how to miss. My chipping from 30m has been terrible, cost me at least a shot today. I think people have to know how to miss better if that makes sense?

It's funny in that I'm the complete opposite. There's no way I would watch different theories on golf swings unless they were coming from someone I considered a legend of the game. Even of I were to watch these out of interest, a kernel of thought would get into my head and more than likely completely ruin my swing.
That's what I find fascinating. The guy on this channel does weeks of reviews working through different swing philosophies and you can see the way he talks through the feeling and the challenges of each.

It's clear proof of what we already know, there's more than one way to achieve a good golf swing, depending on what works for the individual.

Yes it's very possible to flood the mind if you took something from every swing. He speaks about that in his videos too and explains that if you want to actually commit to a philosophy you need to pick one and commit fully to it with months/years of practice not just a Frankenstein swing of 100 different parts.

The 51 is the club. The miss is short, the Max is bang on. Practice your 15m chips and putts and you'll be a low single handicap. You don't have to change how you hit, you just have to know how to miss. My chipping from 30m has been terrible, cost me at least a shot today. I think people have to know how to miss better if that makes sense?

Probably right on the chipping and putting. I can get the ball there 8/10 but once I'm around the green we are battling to save par every time. My chipping confidence is so low, so so low. Awfully frustrating when I need to chip.

I've been told to get a 60 degree wedge, my life around chipping will become infinitely easier.

Probably right on the chipping and putting. I can get the ball there 8/10 but once I'm around the green we are battling to save par every time. My chipping confidence is so low, so so low. Awfully frustrating when I need to chip.

I've been told to get a 60 degree wedge, my life around chipping will become infinitely easier.

You ever tried a chipping lesson?

The answer is never a chipper. You still have your dignity.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

the chipper seems a waste of a club in my opinion. Just hit a 7 or 8 from just off the green and they are the same loft as a chipper. cant hit a chipper from 150m though.

I had a putting lesson about 7 months ago, made quite a bit of difference just refining my set up and swing etc. I can tell when I miss hit putts what I’ve got wrong now. Not sure about an online version but for $30 you might find some useful tips.

I also found an awesome YouTube vid last week that completely fixed my driver slice. So simple and repeatable. The guy who made it claims to be able to fix a slice in 5 balls on the range - it was brilliant.
I Had a putting lesson as well.
First 2 putts from about 12 ft...sunk them both
Next 3 putts from about 20 ft, lagged them all to within a foot....pro said there was nothing wrong with my stroke, tempo, anything!!
Get out on course and those 20ft putts come up 6 ft short or 8' long...its so frustrating.
Read a book (forgotten its name) and putted brilliantly for a while, but its all gone back to s**t again.
Think i might read the book again...can't think of any other solution

I Had a putting lesson as well.
First 2 putts from about 12 ft...sunk them both
Next 3 putts from about 20 ft, lagged them all to within a foot....pro said there was nothing wrong with my stroke, tempo, anything!!
Get out on course and those 20ft putts come up 6 ft short or 8' long...its so frustrating.
Read a book (forgotten its name) and putted brilliantly for a while, but its all gone back to s**t again.
Think i might read the book again...can't think of any other solution

Happens to the best. In his dotage, Ben Hogan only played to the green. Would just pick up and go to the next tee.

That anecdote probably isn’t very helpful to your situation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I switched from a 60 to a 58. 58 does everything the 60 use to do, but I find it more versatile. Like Sippa I would only use the 60 in a bunker or if I had to carry a bunker or some rough with no green to play with. I can quite happily use a 58 from the fairway which I struggled with with the 60.

Guarantee that will make things worse.

No one with a handicap of 10 or more should own a 60 deg wedge.
I'd suggest that depends on intended usage

30-60 metres it's my go too
Bunkers I use it

Bump n Run - NO

Guarantee that will make things worse.

No one with a handicap of 10 or more should own a 60 deg wedge.
I'm a 26 handicapper and it's my most reliable club for a short shot to pop over a bunker, I also use it to get out of sand (although I'm terrible at bunker shots).

I also have a 54, which I use for similar shots, but the 60 with the higher loft is better at getting up and then stopping quickly on the green for a short distance shot, e.g. where I need to get over something and can't just bump and run onto the green.

Personally I would never use it for a chip or bump and run though.

Mind you I do try and keep things simple, my bag only has 9 clubs including the putter so I have room to move and could carry more if needed/as I improve.

Unfortunately at the Dunes, some of the bunker lips are vertical and head high...a 60 is required to even have a chance of getting out of them.
Seve never carried anything more than a 56 Itchy.

And I can't remember any of the bunkers at the Dunes being higher than the Road Hole bunker at St Andrews for example.

Seve never carried anything more than a 56 Itchy.

And I can't remember any of the bunkers at the Dunes being higher than the Road Hole bunker at St Andrews for example.

No one used a 60 degree wedge until 1980 or so and it stayed a pretty unorthodox option for probably all of Seve’s peak years.

But the way he played, he probably turned his 56 into a 66+ whenever he needed to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back