Golf Golf technique

Remove this Banner Ad

Well that was more what I was after. Some good anaylsis, trackman there and probably the facilities at Metropolitan really made it more benficial.

Chatted about swing path, given my two drills and one so simple I am shocked how much it has changed the contact. Long road ahead but keen to commit to it.

Also 10min chipping tutorial from what we did with the longer irons, same theory and was such simple stuff. Spent 20mins after playing around with the chip and felt so much more confident and consistent.

(no driver action, yet)

Best swing drill I’ve done, and continue to do is to place a ball about 30cm in front of the ball I’m about to hit, just outside the line of the ball.

Makes me feel like I’m extending the club through and out and stops me coming over the top.

Well that was more what I was after. Some good anaylsis, trackman there and probably the facilities at Metropolitan really made it more benficial.

Chatted about swing path, given my two drills and one so simple I am shocked how much it has changed the contact. Long road ahead but keen to commit to it.
What did the Trackman data reveal?

What did the Trackman data reveal?

Club path - -8 to -5. Worked on some stuff to send that to zero and then into the positives.. Big work in progress that. It's interesting that I was thinking I was finishing right with my path but in fact it was nowhere near or I would turn the ball over with my wrists and create some weird "draw" but it wasn't a draw, more a controlled hook.

Launch degree was -7 or above, basically leant back on everything. Another drill to go with the above to change that. Towel club head or so behind the ball, trying to strike down and divot after (something I have not done before).

Wasn't doing full swings really so hard to analyse other things.

My youngest...21, has played 3 rounds of golf (played Oakleigh twice where no D required and Waverley where he attempted driver a couple of times but failed). Getting the bug, went to the range with me tonight. Grabs a stiff shaft driver and hits the first ball dead straight onto the 260m green at the back of the range. Lads eyes nearly popped out of his head.

Very hard to explain exactly but ball is slightly back of centre, club face slightly open. Most important is the backswing. Rather than a normal back and through swing, I'm chopping down more on the ball than normal. Ball comes out low, that's the distance thing. Had a shot today from about 30m that did it perfectly and with a slight roll out from maybe 15m.

Very hard to explain exactly but ball is slightly back of centre, club face slightly open. Most important is the backswing. Rather than a normal back and through swing, I'm chopping down more on the ball than normal. Ball comes out low, that's the distance thing. Had a shot today from about 30m that did it perfectly and with a slight roll out from maybe 15m.
I love it as well...but I sometimes deloft slightly...which is risky on tight lies or wet ground...but on a good lie it is my go to shot and can be deadly once you get used to it. I find key is to turn body after impact so club does not chunk and keeps up speed through the ball. I miss greens and this shot has got me some very low putts per round.

Yep. A low punch slight cut will have heaps of spin on it.

The way I do it is a bizarre way I stumbled accross in the days of trying lots of different things.
Believe it or not, but a swing that is purely driven by the hips turning around back and around through, gives the ball lots of height and spin. The thing stops on a 10c piece.

Has anyone done an online membership for specific technic with a coach? Swing? Chipping? Putting?

I'm thinking of signing up for Ross McLeod Putting stuff for $30. I'm in some serious help on the greens with my tempo but really the hardest for me is reading a green. I simply just see everything all over the place.

For $30 what's the harm?

I had a putting lesson about 7 months ago, made quite a bit of difference just refining my set up and swing etc. I can tell when I miss hit putts what I’ve got wrong now. Not sure about an online version but for $30 you might find some useful tips.

I also found an awesome YouTube vid last week that completely fixed my driver slice. So simple and repeatable. The guy who made it claims to be able to fix a slice in 5 balls on the range - it was brilliant.

I had a putting lesson about 7 months ago, made quite a bit of difference just refining my set up and swing etc. I can tell when I miss hit putts what I’ve got wrong now. Not sure about an online version but for $30 you might find some useful tips.

I also found an awesome YouTube vid last week that completely fixed my driver slice. So simple and repeatable. The guy who made it claims to be able to fix a slice in 5 balls on the range - it was brilliant.

Need that for my swing too, the old slice 😂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has anyone done an online membership for specific technic with a coach? Swing? Chipping? Putting?

I'm thinking of signing up for Ross McLeod Putting stuff for $30. I'm in some serious help on the greens with my tempo but really the hardest for me is reading a green. I simply just see everything all over the place.

For $30 what's the harm?
At $30 it's one chicken parma these days, low risk to give it a go as a once off.

For $30 what's the harm?
I am embarrassed to say I signed up to Nick Bradley...Performance golf...$70 once off for heaps of little drills etc. But somehow got roped into an extra bit with out realizing I was paying monthly for a bit but soon cancelled the coaching part. It was quite good though...You would video your swing...then a pro would personally respond to your video leaving a video message and drills that applied to you. Probably 3 to 5 minutes of help. You could get them to look at you about once a week from memory. I was working with a coach for a couple of months and was playing very good golf by the end...Then the missus put her foot down haha. Had to sit through 50 minutes of unbelievable yank marketing bulltish first though. I am sure they could help with putting.

For all of you YouTube junkies out there like me, I love watching the different golf swing philosophies and am a big believer that there's not just one way to do things. I don't really try them all, but just enjoy watching the instructors and concepts.

This video/channel reviews a bunch of different swing styles and YouTube instructors:

Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@GolfTestDummy

One winter I'd love to just lock myself in an indoor sim and spend some time trialling a few of the different methods. A few I've always been interested in exploring but never spent the time to commit to are the one plane swing (Moe Norman style / Todd Graves), the Stack and Tilt method (Tom Saguto) , and this Swedish long drive champion Marcus Edblad.

For all of you YouTube junkies out there like me, I love watching the different golf swing philosophies and am a big believer that there's not just one way to do things. I don't really try them all, but just enjoy watching the instructors and concepts.

This video/channel reviews a bunch of different swing styles and YouTube instructors:

Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@GolfTestDummy

One winter I'd love to just lock myself in an indoor sim and spend some time trialling a few of the different methods. A few I've always been interested in exploring but never spent the time to commit to are the one plane swing (Moe Norman style / Todd Graves), the Stack and Tilt method (Tom Saguto) , and this Swedish long drive champion Marcus Edblad.

It's funny in that I'm the complete opposite. There's no way I would watch different theories on golf swings unless they were coming from someone I considered a legend of the game. Even of I were to watch these out of interest, a kernel of thought would get into my head and more than likely completely ruin my swing.

A question. In chatting to a mate who's a mid teens handicap, I asked how often he looks for the best miss when hitting a shot, and he said he doesn't.
How many here look at where the best miss is as a consideration of the shot/aim/vision?

A question. In chatting to a mate who's a mid teens handicap, I asked how often he looks for the best miss when hitting a shot, and he said he doesn't.
How many here look at where the best miss is as a consideration of the shot/aim/vision?

If I had a best miss, I'd be at a 10 😂

My biggest issue, apart from the technical flaws, distance control. I'm either too long or too short. It's super frustrating

Always in my mind. Marsh is easy, better short than long on about 16 holes. Always take the lesser club when I’m not sure.

Elsewhere, I’m always trying to avoid short sided chips and bunker shots. Would rather a 60 foot putt to a 10 metre chip. Off the tee, I’m zapping everything with the range finder to figure out the best angle off the tee box to avoid trouble.

Of course, thinking about and actually executing are completely different things….

If I had a best miss, I'd be at a 10 😂

My biggest issue, apart from the technical flaws, distance control. I'm either too long or too short. It's super frustrating
So watching the Dubai, if you have water long, do you then think about adjusting your shot to be a short miss? Example being your 150m out with water behind. 150m for me is a long 7i. A 6i has it covered. So I hit 7i knowing that the miss will be short, a good shot will be on the number.
Obviously if you're thinning a wedge 150m then that is a problem. 😆

Always in my mind. Marsh is easy, better short than long on about 16 holes. Always take the lesser club when I’m not sure.

Elsewhere, I’m always trying to avoid short sided chips and bunker shots. Would rather a 60 foot putt to a 10 metre chip. Off the tee, I’m zapping everything with the range finder to figure out the best angle off the tee box to avoid trouble.

Of course, thinking about and actually executing are completely different things….
Totally. I've found my best rounds are when I'm in control of everything.

So watching the Dubai, if you have water long, do you then think about adjusting your shot to be a short miss? Example being your 150m out with water behind. 150m for me is a long 7i. A 6i has it covered. So I hit 7i knowing that the miss will be short, a good shot will be on the number.
Obviously if you're thinning a wedge 150m then that is a problem. 😆

Haha I'd hit a PW. Problem is some of them go 160 and aren't thins. So then I hit a 51 or something, max out at 150 so then it's going 135-140.
So I take PW and try and take some off it. I take too much and it goes 130.

It's a mess I tell ya

Remove this Banner Ad

Back