GMHBA Stadium (Kardinia Park, Geelong)

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve got a question. After the coin toss they have said team X is kicking to the Coventry/Lockett end. Why?

Yes. My cousin heard it at the cats and lions match. I heard it at the cats and Roos match.
They are the ends at Docklands Stadium so no idea why they would be mentioned at Kardinia Park.

Reported about an hour ago on the HS website - but the article itself is paywalled -

$142m free kick for Geelong home ground
The final stage of the Kardinia Park upgrade has been revealed, with taxpayers to foot the bill for the swanky revamp of the Cats’ home ground.

This is the article from the HS

$142m free kick for Geelong home ground
Artists’ impression of the 14,000-person stadium at Kardinia Park. Picture: Supplied
Artists’ impression of the 14,000-person stadium at Kardinia Park. Picture: Supplied
Geelong will be given a $142 million free kick by the state government with work on the fifth and final redevelopment stage of Kardinia Park to begin at the end of the AFL season.
The Andrews Government will on Thursday announce the builder and start date of the latest upgrade to the Cats’ home ground at GMHBA Stadium and the greater Kardinia Park precinct.
At the heart of the revamp is construction of a 14,000 capacity, two-tier northern stand to replace the ageing Ford Stand and Ablett Terrace.
More than 120 construction jobs will be created by the project, upgrading facilities for fans with a new northern entry plaza, sports museum and function room.
The redevelopment will increase the stadium’s capacity to more than 40,000 people, boosting Geelong’s ability to host national and international events.
And technology upgrades such as additional high-speed public Wi-Fi, LED signage, a crowd management centre and additional CCTV capability will be added.
An artists’ impression of the revamped stadium at Kardinia Park.
An artists’ impression of the revamped stadium at Kardinia Park.
Kardinia Park chair Stephen Gough said continued investment meant the venue had not only kept up with global trends but was “also setting the pace.”
“We can’t wait for the final piece of the redevelopment jigsaw to fall into place so we can provide an even better experience for fans and other users of this highly-adaptable stadium,’’ he said.
Construction firm BESIX Watpac has been appointed builder, tasked with making the Geelong landmark Australia’s premier regional stadium.
Facilities for professional and community sport, unisex change rooms and administration facilities will be included in the new stand.
Sustainability measures including solar panels on the roof of the new grandstand and battery storage capacity will also be included.
Tourism, Sport and Major Events Minister Martin Pakula said the new northern stand would complete transformation of Kardinia Park into “an amazing asset for Geelong — and for Victoria’’.
“The benefits of an increased stadium capacity and A-grade facilities will be enjoyed by sports fans and the wider community for decades to come,’’ he said.
Previous stages of the redevelopment include the Brownlow, Players, Premiership and Reg Hickey stands along with broadcast-quality lighting and function rooms.
Lara State Labor MP John Eren said the works, forecast to be complete in mid-2023, would allow stadium chiefs to pitch for more major events on top of the likes of AFL, A-League and Big Bash cricket.
“A stadium capacity of over 40,000 will mean that Kardinia Park will have the heft to be a major player in enticing national and international events,’’ he said.

Well after all those years campaigning for 11 games at KP, the AFL finally delivered this year!

:rolleyes:
?

edit: yea gotcha now

Little did I know that Round 10 this year would be the last time I would ever stand on the GA Terrace :(
There's standing room in the new stand, like proper bays (2500 people) not just a back bar like at the MCG. Gonna be a good upgrade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As I've spoken about previously here and on the cats board, the new gary ablett terrace (official name TBA) will have 2400 "safe standing room" spots, and a total capacity of 13.5k people, double that of the current stand. The standing room area is on the middle tier from the righthand behind post through to the forward pocket (will be visible on the TV where the ramps currently are on the left hand side of the field).

Picture below of "safe standing" in the UK
1633678394128.png

Demolition has begun on the old terrace, you can see the photos and keep up to date on construction on the cats board in this thread

When the new stand is done will teams like Collingwood play there more than once every 20 years?

When the new stand is done will teams like Collingwood play there more than once every 20 years?
Unlikely. Pies, Tigers and Hawks will probably remain our two home games at the mcg until the afl grow a back bone and give us what ever other afl side get the luxury of. 11 home games.

I went last night to watch the saints get mauled. It's a really nice stadium and an absolute fortress for visiting teams. my only complaint is the ticket booth employees were practically impossible to hear with the mixture of wearing a mask and the crazy amount of sound at the entrance. ended up buying $90 GA tickets and had no idea if there were any cheaper options.

You just named 3 clubs who don't play 11 home games at the MCG...
Hawks choose to sell their home games to tassie so you can wipe them out. Tigers and Pies may have to play one or two home games at marvel, but they are supplemented “away” games against Geelong, Carlton and Essendon who are either not a mcg tenant or a half/half tenant.

I went last night to watch the saints get mauled. It's a really nice stadium and an absolute fortress for visiting teams. my only complaint is the ticket booth employees were practically impossible to hear with the mixture of wearing a mask and the crazy amount of sound at the entrance. ended up buying $90 GA tickets and had no idea if there were any cheaper options.
If it was $90 a ticket that’s not GA.

hopefully there is better access for away members with the new stand and not having to pay an arm and a leg and not get abused from opposition supporters q

Remove this Banner Ad

Back