Gippsland Cricket Thread Pt 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Big announcement in tdca cricket tonight with Stuart Anderson announcing he'll be playing for gormondale in 2013/14.

Excellent signing by Chelsea. Good quality veteran. I'm sure Man U will have a big name recruit on the go in retaliation though.

Funny you should mention that, apparently Greg Munro will be playing for ex students this year. Plenty of firepower at the top end of the ladder this season!

I am the vice president of another club thanks have been on the committee for 7 years so there is a few seconds.

3 things I would change!
stop paying for poms to come out!! (play your kids)
2) I understand being down the bottom of the ladder in any sport makes it hard to recruit as players looking for new clubs like to go to the top side but appointing nick scammell as captain is a terrible move
- he got booted from cats , suspended last year! I think its obvious around the comp that he is not respected as a player + person I hope for your sake that inside the club that this isn't what the imps players think of him
3) do as much funderaising as you possibly can over a 3 year period save as much $$$ as you can and look at being a top 3 agrade side in 3-5 years

we hear that we are paying this bloke this much and that bloke that much!!
in our league there is a lot of GST that gets put on how players get looked after its not funny!

Interesting to read all of this conversation about the TDCA. As an "outsider" to the league, in my third season, I would like to think that I can take a pretty impartial view of things. Basically, anyone who says that the sides that are succeeding aren't benefiting from financial strength is kidding themselves. Having said that, these clubs also have a pretty solid foundation of their "regular" players. You only have to look at the contributions that the Switzer bros., Tom Shippen, John Keighran and plenty of other guys have made to their clubs, both on field and off field to see why their clubs are both a successful side as well as an appealing place to play. Understandably money has helped some sides to recruit players, but there are a number of clubs in the TDCA that most decent cricketers wouldn't consider playing for regardless of how much money they were offering. Then there are clubs where you would happily play for nothing as they have good people involved, good facilities and are regularly competitive.

In direct response to the discussion above, the 'don't get poms and play your kids' argument is ridiculous. Most clubs in Gippsland Cricket don't have 11 A grade standard cricketers, let alone 3 or 4 kids capable of playing at that level. In a lot of instances you are better off to allow your kids to score runs and take wickets at their appropriate level, which might be B or C grade, rather than throw them to the wolves in A grade and see them fail with the bat and either not get a bowl or get belted all over the park. I would argue that every club in the league, including Gormy and Students, would have at least 1 or 2 spots in their side that are taken up by players whose output hardly dictates a spot, yet they retain their spot due to not having anyone else to force them out. If they choose to fill this spot with an overseas player, surely this would only strengthen the side in the short term, help the side to be more competitive, which in the long run should help to recruit players?

Salary cap, no way of policing, no point in having it. I would say, leave it as it is, but if there was a need to have some sort of system, the only way that it could be policed would be a points system (like the ones used in football) where you are assigned a certain number of points dependant upon where you come from. ie. 1 point if you are a junior of that club, 2 points if you have played more than 3 seasons, 3 points if you have come from another league, 4 points if you are mark waugh........... and then cap the amount of points a side can play in their A grade side. I am not saying this system should be introduced, I am saying that it is the only system that would be able to be accurately policed. At the end of the day, if someone hands a play an envelope full of cash, no one ever needs to know about it, except the player and the person who handed it over.

In reality, who cares about the money anyway? If a club is good enough, or lucky enough to have plenty of dollars, then they should be within their rights to spend it. Also, if players are good enough to demand payment and receive it, if the league somehow attempts to police that, there is also the potential of weakening the league by people choosing to play elsewhere.

First round of tdca this weekend, plenty of new players into the league and most clubs seem to have improved. Should be a strong year with plenty of good cricket played.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Few important clashes in the tdca and smca this weekend.

In the tdca, students taking on gormy, centrals take on raiders and glen play cats. You'd think gormy and students are finals certainties, but other than that, it is wide open. Clubs may look back on this round as pretty important to their finals fortunes.

In smca, briag play Stratford and sale play college. Briag have started well and look to have a good chance to maintain or improve on their progress from last year. This is their first real test against a strong side in Stratford, who seem to have one of the stronger sides in the comp again this year. Whereas sale and college both without a win, but have each played 2 of the comps 3 strong clubs so far and will be looking to get a win on the board in the push to overtake briag as the 4th side in the finals behind maffra, bundy and stratty.

how is liam (cant take a wicket ) durkin still playing a grade for traf has not take in a wicket this season watched him last week he has the biggest run up then when he cums in your thinking is going to be quick and then he lets it go slowers bowler going around should be in c grade and still woulded get a bowl

as a player in sale Maffra I was checking to see how some of my former opponents have been going in the Traralgon league and let me tell you its no surprise to see burgs or ando doing so well both will go down in the best 11 produced by sale Maffra but the person to bluff the tdca the most and even more so then luke Henderson and that is JOHN MAYMAN, he was one of the most hated players in sale Maffra because his record stunk and he runs his mouth like he is the bradman of the bush and doesn't shut up about cricket if only he was as good as the game he talks up!!
I believe told his team mates he would retire, then told the captain he would challenge him for his position, big speel to the committee about how good a player he was at sale with the captaincy (wasn't much better) and how it would help make Toongabbie rams better!!

johns year - ranked 62nd for batting, 94 runs @ 10.4 highest score of 18 not out vs the centrals cricket club in a 2nd innings!

john is it time to pull the pin before you get sacked, please come back to sale Maffra play in the 2's somewhere so some of your former opponents can tell you what we have thought of your career like you did to all of us!

To be honest with you mate, I couldn't really care what other people think about me. I've never claimed to be any good at cricket, I just love the game.

Bluffed the tdca??? I didn't realise there was a qualification to play in the competition?

Oh, and in relation to the captaincy, that story isn't correct, I actually took 4 people hostage and threatened to kill the prize ram in toongabbie if they didn't appoint me. Well, that story is about as accurate as the one you have told. Retire? It's country cricket you twit, you don't retire from it.

Oh, nice effort pretending to be from smca, very convincing. Toon do things a little different to your club, so if they don't want me to captain then they'll tell me and I'll gladly let someone else do it and continue to play for the club. Cos unlike you, it's not all about me mate. Seeya in a few weeks time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems like there's some movements around this off season.

Plenty of names and clubs being thrown about!

If Latrobe manage to squeeze their way into the TDCA at least they won't have to worry about choking in the Grand Final with the likes of Gormy and Ex Students around, will be hard enough just to make the finals.
They will be right I've heard Rob Phoenix is coaching them if they go in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back