Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Tell you if that GWS player Finn Callaghan ever wants to come ..im in big time. Impressive kid OOC 2025

Absolutely! He will command a big contract next time round. But it appears that GWS have built a great morale amongst their players. Doubtful that anyone they don’t want to let go will leave these days.

Reckon he was the future 1st gws turned one of our firsts in the Cameron trade into as well.

Would be a beautiful symmetry

He was the trade where coll traded their future 1st for 2 r2s and it ended up being p3 (the daicos year).

School footy but a couple names of interest. Our NGA kid looks to have some lift about him too. Good signs.

AFL Draft 2024: Top prospect Sam Lalor kicks seven goals in return from injury for Geelong Grammar​

He is known as a midfielder, but this top-10 prospect dominated up forward for Geelong Grammar in his return from injury. And an emerging cricket star proved he is also handy with the Sherrin.

Top draft prospect Sam Lalor made a stunning return from injury in Geelong Grammar’s season-opener against Wesley College, booting seven goals in his side’s narrow loss.
The Bacchus Marsh product had been kept out of action with both the AFL Academy and Coates League club GWV Rebels but made an emphatic statement in his first game of the year, kicking 7.3 and tallying 19 disposals, 10 contested possessions, five tackles and 141 Premier Data ranking points.

With limited match fitness, Lalor played the majority of the first half through the midfield, kicking a goal, before he began cramping and was moved forward.

The bullocking 187cm midfielder went on to kick six goals in the second half, proving his worth as a potential top 10 talent in this year’s draft.

Geelong Grammar football director Troy Selwood said AFL recruiters watching on went in with low expectations but were thoroughly impressed by his display.

Lalor shoots for goal. Picture: Alan Barber

“They probably were tempering their expectations as to what he might put out as a first up run, but to be able to still find a way to really contribute despite being under duress in the second half, I think that really pleased the people watching,” Selwood said.

“Definitely was one of the more dominant performances I have seen at schoolboys football but obviously there is a lot more improvement left in his game once he gets some proper conditioning over the next month.

“It was quite impressive, he was still very short of a gallop but was able to show probably people who were watching that he has the ability to go forward and be a dangerous option inside forward 50.”

Geelong Falcons midfielder Xavier Ivisic was another draft prospect to impress for Geelong Grammar with 26 possessions, seven marks, seven cleances, six tackles, a goal and 137 points.

Lalor’s Rebels teammate Flynn Penry also made his return from an ankle setback that delayed his start to the year. The ruckman finished with 18 disposals, 10 contested possessions, five clearances and 99 points himself.

Bottom-age Falon Josh Lindsay was named as Geelong Grammar’s best after racking up a game-high 34 disposals, 13 contested possessions, eight tackles and 144 points.

Ollie Peake, well-renowned in cricket after starring on the world stage in Australia’s U19 World Cup win earlier this year, showed he is also handy with the Sherrin, kicking three goals to go with 15 touches.

Ben Rondgit, a bottom-age player who was part of Vic Country’s pre-season squad, had 15 touches and seven tackles, also showing off his exceptional spring in the warm-up.

Ben Rongdit showing off his leap. Picture: Alan Barber

Ben Rongdit showing off his leap. Picture: Alan Barber
Who’s our nga prospect?

Who’s our nga prospect?

AFL Draft: The promising Next Generation Academy talents linked to Geelong​

Geelong has some academy talents to look forward to, and one of them is a well-known name in the region. See the three prospects the Cats can pounce on.

Ben Rongdit (Colac)​

A key defender with a super leap, Rongdit represented Vic Country at this year’s U16 national carnival and performed strongly. Rongdit was a shining light in their heavy loss to South Australia, where his reading of the play, defensive pressure and competitiveness stood out, tallying 16 disposals, 12 tackles, 12 contested possessions, nine intercepts and 128 SuperCoach points. The Sudanese product, who plays locally for Colac, has even been used in the ruck and on a wing, a credit to his athleticism.

Ben Rongdit had a strong national carnival. Picture: Getty Images

Absolutely! He will command a big contract next time round. But it appears that GWS have built a great morale amongst their players. Doubtful that anyone they don’t want to let go will leave these days.

Obviously if he is happy he gos nowhere....they will ply him wine women and song and make sure his belly is very very full and his bank account very very positive... but if he does show interest in coming back to Vic... Id be all over going hard for him. Probably would every other club.. From Sandringham I think so Saint would be all in im sure.

I say this with no bitterness, as I know some people hate them for it. But a lot of that is to do with the conveyor pick of picks generating elite talent. So even when they've lost players, they are of a standard that gets them compensated to refresh the list nicely.

They still have to scout and develop properly, as Gold Coast show that this system does not guarantee being a great side in perpetuity. But they got a right early and developed stacks of great talent. Once they had that platform, it becomes a self sustaining thing to a degree. And that doesn't necessarily apply equally to other clubs.

I certainly don't hate Giants or Suns ... maybe one day if tehy beat is when it counts with all that talent but even that has diminished within me. Perhaps having seen Geelong win 4 times , my degree of benevolence has increased to the point of not wishing ill on them. One of these day we may see a Giants V Suns GF. That would test the benevolence of most especially the media

The Gianst have always had early picks and you are right they have recycled the players and got good picks. They also have been prepared to trade up to get the early picks. They also have picked well more often than not, just like last night watching the kid they picked to replace Bruhn. To be fair though they had they likes of Riccardi playing along side Hogan in the forwardline so it not like they have been gifted a royal flush.

If you’re prying him out of Geelong it’s not gonna be 500-600k. It’ll be in the 700k+ range with lots of years for job security.

The question is, how much would you pay? Hayward would be the cheaper option.
The Carlton board cookers reckon Hayward will cost at least 800k... No idea what they think Stengle would cost lmao :tearsofjoy:

I'd say 700k, maybe closer to 800 with the cap increases, would be about right... and to be honest I'd have no issue signing him to a 4-5 year deal. Small forwards have pretty good longevity, especially opportunist types like Stengle - Someone like Close who's more there for his pressure and up and back work may not last as long with all the miles going into his legs.

Last edited:
Haywards manager would be bending Stdney over if he gets within 50k of Stengle.

Stengle is a much better player than Hayward.

Hayward is more like Rohan IMO. Stengle is a pure crumbling small forward who hits the scoreboard + brings his teammates into the game more than Hayward.

I actually don't even think Hayward would get a game for us.
Agree with all of the above, the reason I'd have Hayward in a similar contract range as Stengle right now is because he's in the leadership group for the Swans. On the open market I think Stengle's a considerably better player and would get a significantly better contract, but as to what they're both being paid at the moment I think they'd be pretty close.

Agree with all of the above, the reason I'd have Hayward in a similar contract range as Stengle right now is because he's in the leadership group for the Swans. On the open market I think Stengle's a considerably better player and would get a significantly better contract, but as to what they're both being paid at the moment I think they'd be pretty close.
I respect your posts and input into this thread but this Hayward talk is baffling. He's a useful forward but much more along the lines of a Close than a Stengle or Miers. The latter two play their roles to AA level at their best. Hayward hasn't shown that. Hayward would not be playing ahead of Dempsey right now, or any of our forwards.

And this isn't some overrating of Geelong players thing, as there are plenty of small forwards I do rate as being elite or close to it. Papley, Pickett, Higgins, Rankine, Brisbane's set, GWS' set etc. Even Weightman, Bobby Hill and L.Henry types.

not sure what you have done ... but i never said that.

I respect your posts and input into this thread but this Hayward talk is baffling. He's a useful forward but much more along the lines of a Close than a Stengle or Miers. The latter two play their roles to AA level at their best. Hayward hasn't shown that. Hayward would not be playing ahead of Dempsey right now, or any of our forwards.

And this isn't some overrating of Geelong players thing, as there are plenty of small forwards I do rate as being elite or close to it. Papley, Pickett, Higgins, Rankine, Brisbane's set, GWS' set etc. Even Weightman, Bobby Hill and L.Henry types.
Sorry if it wasn't clear, I meant to say that I think as of 2024 Hayward and Stengle would be on similar salaries due to the circumstances of when they signed their deals. Hayward being in the leadership group at the swans and Stengle (while coming off an AA year) having the uncertainty re his past indiscretions.

For their next deals at the end of this season I think Stengle will definitely attract a better contract due to being the better player and proving himself as a non flight risk after his last few years. So while we can apparently afford a Hayward type, we still might not have enough to lure a Stengle type out.

Still think Stengle will stay as long as you guys don't bomb out 2nd half of this season, which is looking unlikely at this stage.

Carlton has a great overall team but they're pretty terrible in the small forward area. If you count Stengle, Miers, Dempsey, Close, and Mannagh as Geelong's small forwards then I'm not sure Carlton's best small forward is better than our worst. Because of this, I could see Carlton putting up a much bigger offer for Stengle than Geelong would be willing. The only caveat being that Carlton might be a bit more stretched for salary cap because of the high value of their star players (McKay, Curnow, Cripps, Walsh, De Koning, Weitering) and their younger age. Geelong aren't paying a lot of guys under 30.

I don't believe Stengle gets as much as Holmes but I also don't think his contract will be a lot less either. I'm expecting somewhere around 720k per year offered by Geelong and wouldn't be surprised if Carlton pip us with an offer of around 800k or even up to 850k per year.

Last edited:
I say this with no bitterness, as I know some people hate them for it. But a lot of that is to do with the conveyor pick of picks generating elite talent. So even when they've lost players, they are of a standard that gets them compensated to refresh the list nicely.

They still have to scout and develop properly, as Gold Coast show that this system does not guarantee being a great side in perpetuity. But they got a right early and developed stacks of great talent. Once they had that platform, it becomes a self sustaining thing to a degree. And that doesn't necessarily apply equally to other clubs.
Yep, former first round pick leaves for a first round pick in exchange, rinse and repeat.

Who knows how long it can go on for, but if they can continue to develop these kids it's pretty self sustaining.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve gotta see this for myself.
If Will Hayward is going for 800k then StenGOAT must be in the $1M range right?? 😂
I truthfully don't think Hayward would even get a game in our forward line.

Sure, he'd still be a handy pickup for the Blues... but he is more of a third forward who is a lead, mark and goal player (like Rohan and a lesser version of Ollie Henry).

Whereas Stengle is a crafty, elusive, crumbling small forward, and Carlton needs that much more than a mark and goal type.

Hayward is doing ok this year but is a tad overrated IMO... He's gonna cash that by the sounds of it, so good luck to him.

Last edited:
Yep, former first round pick leaves for a first round pick in exchange, rinse and repeat.

Who knows how long it can go on for, but if they can continue to develop these kids it's pretty self sustaining.

It's more than that though because they are getting a heap through the academy. I think they've had 8 x 1st round academy selected players in the last 10 years. My recollection is recently they tweaked the rules to remove the discount? but for a lot of it, they were getting 25% discount for academy kids and also accumulating points on the draft value chart swapping out picks that getting eaten up with academy selections for picks with a higher points total. I think that loophole has been tightened up now but it worked well for them.

Will Hayward: Can he be the GOAT?
Based on the billion threads living rent free atm.

If you asked the Tiggies cookers on BF this question but change Hayward with Stengle and Holmes…they’d probably claim they had a hand in the development of both guys and that’s the only reason they have succeeded at the Cats even though Stengle was barely even there and Adelaide did more for him than Richmond ever did and they traded away Holmes before they even had a chance at him 😂

AFL Draft: The promising Next Generation Academy talents linked to Geelong​

Geelong has some academy talents to look forward to, and one of them is a well-known name in the region. See the three prospects the Cats can pounce on.

Ben Rongdit (Colac)​

A key defender with a super leap, Rongdit represented Vic Country at this year’s U16 national carnival and performed strongly. Rongdit was a shining light in their heavy loss to South Australia, where his reading of the play, defensive pressure and competitiveness stood out, tallying 16 disposals, 12 tackles, 12 contested possessions, nine intercepts and 128 SuperCoach points. The Sudanese product, who plays locally for Colac, has even been used in the ruck and on a wing, a credit to his athleticism.

Hopefully we end up actually being able to take him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back