Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Obviously he'd be valued differently internally but a lot of Swans fans are ready to see the back of him. Can't say I know why as I've always thought he's been a good player, but it's not unanimous adoration like Cats fans with Stengle re Hayward.

Might be someone they think would be relatively easy to replace but I agree, chance of matching is definitely a factor.

Will you have the pick to trade? You also have to accumulate picks for the twins ..so it might get complicated.

This is how I see the priority:

View attachment 1970171

It depends on what you mean by priority. There’s 0% that danger, Hawkins etc. are tempted to go somewhere else, so I don’t see it as a priority. It can wait until after September if it needs to.

The only ones I see as a priority are Henry, Stengle and maybe parfitt if his form continues. There’s a few on that list (bews, tuohy, Stanley, Rohan) who are likely to either retire or get pushed out

One thing is that he's a real shy guy and being a big money recruit to a big club can be a lot of pressure. Here he's universally loved and has a lot more credits in the bank with a coaching group clearly in his corner.

Having been through two other clubs already he might value that pretty highly

He looks happy again this year. However ..he probably has some ground to make up dollar wise.

Will you have the pick to trade? You also have to accumulate picks for the twins ..so it might get complicated.
We'd be looking at either trading ahead or out of this draft due to our Father Sons this year. If we finished top 4 I feel that pick would be a bit too low for Stengle and too high/about right for Hayward.

At the moment the twins look placed end of first/early second rd with one a bit higher than the other.

We'd be looking at either trading ahead or out of this draft due to our Father Sons this year. If we finished top 4 I feel that pick would be a bit too low for Stengle and too high/about right for Hayward.
Stengle is UFA. I don't foresee any of it coming to pass but draft picks wouldn't need to be included for Stengle.

At the moment the twins look placed end of first/early second rd with one a bit higher than the other.

Stengle is UFA. Thats the point. Not that I want him gone but ..if he wants to go their is nothing to prevent it.

Anyway, I don't know if we could afford Stengle but reports are that we're quite interested in Hayward this year, he's not as good as Stengle but he'd be in a similar contract bracket I'd think? Maybe Stengle 50-100 more?
Haywards manager would be bending Stdney over if he gets within 50k of Stengle.

Stengle is a much better player than Hayward.

Hayward is more like Rohan IMO. Stengle is a pure crumbling small forward who hits the scoreboard + brings his teammates into the game more than Hayward.

I actually don't even think Hayward would get a game for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last edited:
Yeah, for which gws used one of the picks we gave them

Yes I can remember it became conflabulation of what was used for what. Not as if we were ever getting to P3. Have we ever had P3?

No matter . OOC next year ..hope Mackie puts on his best teflon tongue effort and shows him the benefits of play for the Cats.

Last edited:
Stengle is class - only concerns are his body holding up on a long term deal. He had a down year last year - unsure why but when hes firing he makes us a way better team.
There's reasons why.

He dominated in last year's preseason games... I said he was looking like Gaz Jr at times.

Then he got absolutely poleaxed into another dimension in R1 when going back with the flight by Howe.

He was understandably out for a while after that hit, then he came back and almost instantly broke his wrist.

He just never got going last year... The same kinda thing happened to SDK, they were just battered.

This year Stengle is fresh and back to his standard high-level form.

Unless Stanley drops off a cliff he's going much better than any VFL backup ruck is likely to go. I'd hope he's willing to go around again as support for Conway and perhaps for a couple of games Edwards.

Not sure if he wants to go into coaching after playing but if so a year as effectively a playing coach would be great.
I don’t think we’d need Stanley doing any ruck coaching at the club when we have King and Ottens working at the club.

Sorry to intrude but I've seen this mentioned here a few times... according to who?

Curnow came out with Mckay, Cripps, Weitering and Walsh when they all re-signed and stated that they all took less than they could get elsewhere to stick together and bring in more talent. Curnow also mentioned in interviews that he told his manager at the start of his contract talk not to take any calls from other clubs because he wanted to stay at the Blues with Ed.

Our ITK's all said at the time that he, Mckay and Weitering all signed for 800 each with Cook leading the march on following in the footsteps of the Cats re cap management.

Anyway, I don't know if we could afford Stengle but reports are that we're quite interested in Hayward this year, he's not as good as Stengle but he'd be in a similar contract bracket I'd think? Maybe Stengle 50-100 more?

If you’re prying him out of Geelong it’s not gonna be 500-600k. It’ll be in the 700k+ range with lots of years for job security.

The question is, how much would you pay? Hayward would be the cheaper option.

There's reasons why.

He dominated in last year's preseason games... I said he was looking like Gaz Jr at times.

Then he got absolutely poleaxed into another dimension in R1 when going back with the flight by Howe.

He was understandably out for a while after that hit, then he came back and almost instantly broke his wrist.

He just never got going last year... The same kinda thing happened to SDK, they were just battered.

Do you have any concerns about his body holding up if we were to give him 4 years?

There's reasons why.

Also his level was over criticised simply because he was AA the year before. Stengle was still useful and a decent goal sneak through 2023. He just wasn't dominant and his general play/defensive stuff was a bit off. Consistency was understandable lacking. And our ball movement and running was poor for most of the year, which really didn't help him.

It's a catch 22 with the team being high functioning bringing the best out of players...and players being their best making the team high functioning. Everything was out of whack in 2023 and only a handful didn't lower their colours.

The giants list is pretty handy. Flogged Brisbane . With 3 of their best players out of the side. I think debutant Darcy Jones was the kid they got with Bruhn pick ...

Overall... I think they make a good case that losing a player or two is not necessarily the worst outcome. They have lost a heap of players yet still remain a list rich with talent. It depends if you can replace the talent with high end talent.. of which they have a bit of. In fact one would think ... that of those missing out ... there would be a couple that would be ripe for plucking.

Stone and Anguin from the 2020 draft OOC... and we know we like adding from that draft. Probably others as well... let alone if look at the contracted ones.

School footy but a couple names of interest. Our NGA kid looks to have some lift about him too. Good signs.

AFL Draft 2024: Top prospect Sam Lalor kicks seven goals in return from injury for Geelong Grammar​

He is known as a midfielder, but this top-10 prospect dominated up forward for Geelong Grammar in his return from injury. And an emerging cricket star proved he is also handy with the Sherrin.

Top draft prospect Sam Lalor made a stunning return from injury in Geelong Grammar’s season-opener against Wesley College, booting seven goals in his side’s narrow loss.
The Bacchus Marsh product had been kept out of action with both the AFL Academy and Coates League club GWV Rebels but made an emphatic statement in his first game of the year, kicking 7.3 and tallying 19 disposals, 10 contested possessions, five tackles and 141 Premier Data ranking points.

With limited match fitness, Lalor played the majority of the first half through the midfield, kicking a goal, before he began cramping and was moved forward.

The bullocking 187cm midfielder went on to kick six goals in the second half, proving his worth as a potential top 10 talent in this year’s draft.

Geelong Grammar football director Troy Selwood said AFL recruiters watching on went in with low expectations but were thoroughly impressed by his display.

Lalor shoots for goal. Picture: Alan Barber

“They probably were tempering their expectations as to what he might put out as a first up run, but to be able to still find a way to really contribute despite being under duress in the second half, I think that really pleased the people watching,” Selwood said.

“Definitely was one of the more dominant performances I have seen at schoolboys football but obviously there is a lot more improvement left in his game once he gets some proper conditioning over the next month.

“It was quite impressive, he was still very short of a gallop but was able to show probably people who were watching that he has the ability to go forward and be a dangerous option inside forward 50.”

Geelong Falcons midfielder Xavier Ivisic was another draft prospect to impress for Geelong Grammar with 26 possessions, seven marks, seven cleances, six tackles, a goal and 137 points.

Lalor’s Rebels teammate Flynn Penry also made his return from an ankle setback that delayed his start to the year. The ruckman finished with 18 disposals, 10 contested possessions, five clearances and 99 points himself.

Bottom-age Falon Josh Lindsay was named as Geelong Grammar’s best after racking up a game-high 34 disposals, 13 contested possessions, eight tackles and 144 points.

Ollie Peake, well-renowned in cricket after starring on the world stage in Australia’s U19 World Cup win earlier this year, showed he is also handy with the Sherrin, kicking three goals to go with 15 touches.

Ben Rondgit, a bottom-age player who was part of Vic Country’s pre-season squad, had 15 touches and seven tackles, also showing off his exceptional spring in the warm-up.

Ben Rongdit showing off his leap. Picture: Alan Barber

Ben Rongdit showing off his leap. Picture: Alan Barber

The giants list is pretty handy. Flogged Brisbane . With 3 of their best players out of the side. I think debutant Darcy Jones was the kid they got with Bruhn pick ...

Overall... I think they make a good case that losing a player or two is not necessarily the worst outcome. They have lost a heap of players yet still remain a list rich with talent. It depends if you can replace the talent with high end talent.. of which they have a bit of. In fact one would think ... that of those missing out ... there would be a couple that would be ripe for plucking.

Stone and Anguin from the 2020 draft OOC... and we know we like adding from that draft. Probably others as well... let alone if look at the contracted ones.
I say this with no bitterness, as I know some people hate them for it. But a lot of that is to do with the conveyor pick of picks generating elite talent. So even when they've lost players, they are of a standard that gets them compensated to refresh the list nicely.

They still have to scout and develop properly, as Gold Coast show that this system does not guarantee being a great side in perpetuity. But they got a right early and developed stacks of great talent. Once they had that platform, it becomes a self sustaining thing to a degree. And that doesn't necessarily apply equally to other clubs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back