Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Some handy reference info from the Hun today:

The focus will be getting henry and stengle (id give them 4yrs each) and kolo (2 or 3) done now.

Bews and tuohy are certain delists and the other older guys like danger hawk duncan stanley we will wait til later in the year to see how their bodies are going before offering 1yr.

Murdoch is goneski and a few of the other fringe like hardie jeka willis foster will depend on how many over 30s go and whether we have any trades in.

In parfitts case its better for both parties to wait til later in the year. We see whether he really can or cant be best 22 with guthrie back and he gets to see if other clubs offer him more security before taking 1 or 2 yrs with us.

Backup ruck can be picked up for the last pick in the draft no issues.

The war chest really has to be for a KPF, because they are so, so, so hard to find.

I agree we have to have a ruck for 2025 but you can get them in a cheap trade or SSP.
We need a small defender but that could be a late pick.

I agree the picks and cap space are for a kpf and elite top end mids.

I’d like to lock him up for 4 years at that price but someone like Carlton or Essendon may offer more?

Maybe even Richmond if they feel he can help them bounce back quicker?

I doubt he goes back to richmond. He wont want bottom 4 there.

Ess maybe but i feel they are a middling team going nowhere.

Carlton for sure would be a good fit for both parties but cap is the issue.
They have some really expensive mids and key forwards (we stretched their cap by offering curnow 6 years). They would need to delist someone like martin and move on a couple of guys like young and pittonet (they signed the latter for 4 years so theyd have to have a club willing to take the deal) to have the cap room to offer stengle the 7-800k he would want.

Tbh, I have no idea when it comes to flankers and pocket players... the big money usually goes to Key Forwards and Mids.

I mean I don't even know what the average pay is, nor the Cap is for the club these days...

Does Carlton have the Cap? I wouldn't have thought so.

I feel he will stay at the Cats tbh, small city vibes is probably better for him. He might get himself back into trouble back in the big smoke.

The average wage is about 300k now but will go up under the new cap.

We can afford 750 for him its just if we want to or not.

For me it depends on what else we can do with the money, if we cant get a good alternative player in a position of need then id rather pay it and keep him as hes class. Whereas if a top end kpf wanted to come here i wouldnt be against using the money there and letting stengle go given we have depth at small fwd.
But we probably have the cap room to do both.

This is how I see the priority:

View attachment 1970171

Bews is a priority 0 and is already goneski.
Rohan and tuohy are closer to 2 (and will probably retire).
Stanley is closer to 5 (unless we have a decent depth ruck lined up in a cheap trade which we might)
Parfitt isnt a 5 yet at present hes a 2 or 3 he only gets to 5 if hes still playing this well 8 weeks from now.

The rest are right.

I agree we have to have a ruck for 2025 but you can get them in a cheap trade or SSP.

You can generally make a small defender out of a mid.

Atkins, Enright, Hunt, Milburn, Wojo and Rooke all started as mids.

Unless Stanley drops off a cliff he's going much better than any VFL backup ruck is likely to go. I'd hope he's willing to go around again as support for Conway and perhaps for a couple of games Edwards.

Not sure if he wants to go into coaching after playing but if so a year as effectively a playing coach would be great.

Unless Stanley drops off a cliff he's going much better than any VFL backup ruck is likely to go. I'd hope he's willing to go around again as support for Conway
Yeah, but he won't want to finish with a year of just being the VFL backup. I get your point, but players in this position almost universally choose retirement.

You can generally make a small defender out of a mid.

Atkins, Enright, Hunt, Milburn, Wojo and Rooke all started as mids.

Thats true and i wonder if we might do that with any of our younger players...for example clohesy could be tried there.

Unless Stanley drops off a cliff he's going much better than any VFL backup ruck is likely to go. I'd hope he's willing to go around again as support for Conway and perhaps for a couple of games Edwards.

Not sure if he wants to go into coaching after playing but if so a year as effectively a playing coach would be great.

I agree with the first bit and thats why id keep him as vfl backup. My discussion was more if he doesnt want to go around again. His body might be struggling more than we know or he might rather retire than play vfl all year. If he retires then we need to bring in a cheap ruck as we cant have just conway blitz and edwards in 2025.

Yeah, but he won't want to finish with a year of just being the VFL backup. I get your point, but players in this position almost universally choose retirement.

I dunno. If he wants to get into coaching it would probably look like a good deal. He'll get paid probably $100-150k more than an entry level assistant coach.

And while we'd be playing Conway a lot during the year if Stanley is good enough we'd still pick the better player come finals if we make it. So it's not like he's just backup in all circumstances.

I asked last week if anyone had heard the Jack to NM rumour
I don't expect him to leave but apparently it's a monster offer

Be interesting the difference in the offer. How much extra would you want to move to a club thats looking at some hard time, and away from where you are a premiership player , playing with your brother and win more than you lose.

To accept ..It would have to be a Frankenstein offer and he would have to have doubts on his foot.

I dunno. If he wants to get into coaching it would probably look like a good deal. He'll get paid probably $100-150k more than an entry level assistant coach.

And while we'd be playing Conway a lot during the year if Stanley is good enough we'd still pick the better player come finals if we make it. So it's not like he's just backup in all circumstances.

As long as we are honest with him , and tell him our intent would be to play Conway 2 out of 3 or 3 out of 4 and finals. ....IF FIT.

He probably will not even be expected to play each week in the VFL. We will probably try to play Edwards and perhaps Furphy.

He also might think that if he is available and Conway becomes tired he could wangle his way into a position. I doubt we would ask him to do it for VFL money.

He will be 34 next year. My bet it will be up to him because as it has been said, I cant see any second string ruck we bring in being as good as he is still.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't like Humphries? Seems very promising to me.

I also do feel we might see someone like Stephens in that type of role while we put games into him.

I like tom and he looks ok but hbfs arent a need for us really. If we are trading top end mids plus a backup ruck and a kpf need to be the focus.

He is OOC in 2025 ... like any player if they flagged interest im sure we would look it ... but I agree that he would not be the first type we would chase.

Last edited:
I really think he will leave , I can see a few clubs offering him a big contract and I wouldn’t blame him at all
One thing is that he's a real shy guy and being a big money recruit to a big club can be a lot of pressure. Here he's universally loved and has a lot more credits in the bank with a coaching group clearly in his corner.

Having been through two other clubs already he might value that pretty highly

Although we still have a few players uncontracted there appears to be only two possible concerns with one being being Tyson Stengle and the other Brandan Parfitt which hopefully won't be issues anyway but I stand to be corrected!

THANKS catempire ⬇️

PLAYERS SIGNED UP BY GEELONG SINCE DECEMBER

• Tom Stewart - until end of 2027
  • Jhye Clark - 2026
  • Oisin Mullin - 2025
  • Zach Guthrie - 2025
  • Mark O’Connor - 2026
  • Max Holmes - 2028
CATS REMAINING OUT OF CONTRACT

• Rhys Stanley - Unrestricted Free Agent (UFA) No concern - one year or retire
  • Zach Tuohy - UFA No concern - retire as one year unlikely
  • Brandan Parfitt - UFA Concern NOT SURE ??? If retains form A MUST SIGN
  • Jake Kolodjashnij - UFA No concern - will sign with years only query
  • Tyson Stengle - UFA Concern NOT SURE ??? A MUST SIGN
  • Phoenix Foster - No concern - VFL form for remainder of year will determine outcome
  • James Willis - No concern - VFL form for remainder of year will determine outcome
  • Mitch Duncan - UFA - No concern - will sign with year/s only query or unlikely retire?
  • Gary Rohan - No concern - will sign one year or retire
  • Jed Bews - UFA - No concern - move onto another club or retire as one year unlikely
  • Tom Hawkins - UFA No concern - one year or retire
  • Oscar Murdoch - No concern - VFL form for remainder of year will determine outcome
  • Patrick Dangerfield - Restricted Free Agent (RFA) No concern - one or two year only query
  • Jack Henry - UFA No concern - how many years only query
  • Ted Clohesy - No concern - VFL form for remainder of year will determine outcome
  • Mitch Hardie - No concern - VFL form & a possible AFL game or two will determine how long but will stay I think
  • Emerson Jeka - UFA - No concern - VFL form remainder of year will determine outcome, although seems to being doing OK
STATUS OF OTHER CATS OVER 30

• Jeremy Cameron - contracted until 2025
  • Cam Guthrie - 2025
  • Mark Blicavs - 2025
  • Tom Stewart - 2027
Good summary

Carlton for sure would be a good fit for both parties but cap is the issue.
They have some really expensive mids and key forwards (we stretched their cap by offering curnow 6 years).
Sorry to intrude but I've seen this mentioned here a few times... according to who?

Curnow came out with Mckay, Cripps, Weitering and Walsh when they all re-signed and stated that they all took less than they could get elsewhere to stick together and bring in more talent. Curnow also mentioned in interviews that he told his manager at the start of his contract talk not to take any calls from other clubs because he wanted to stay at the Blues with Ed.

Our ITK's all said at the time that he, Mckay and Weitering all signed for 800 each with Cook leading the march on following in the footsteps of the Cats re cap management.

Anyway, I don't know if we could afford Stengle but reports are that we're quite interested in Hayward this year, he's not as good as Stengle but he'd be in a similar contract bracket I'd think? Maybe Stengle 50-100 more?

Sorry to intrude but I've seen this mentioned here a few times... according to who?

Curnow came out with Mckay, Cripps, Weitering and Walsh when they all re-signed and stated that they all took less than they could get elsewhere to stick together and bring in more talent. Curnow also mentioned in interviews that he told his manager at the start of his contract talk not to take any calls from other clubs because he wanted to stay at the Blues with Ed.

Our ITK's all said at the time that he, Mckay and Weitering all signed for 800 each with Cook leading the march on following in the footsteps of the Cats re cap management.

Anyway, I don't know if we could afford Stengle but reports are that we're quite interested in Hayward this year, he's not as good as Stengle but he'd be in a similar contract bracket I'd think? Maybe Stengle 50-100 more?

Heywood is RFA .. so im not sure that he cost you less. Considering where Syd finish ... id say they would consider matching.

Heywood is RFA .. so im not sure that he cost you less. Considering where Syd finish ... id say they would consider matching.
Obviously he'd be valued differently internally but a lot of Swans fans are ready to see the back of him. Can't say I know why as I've always thought he's been a good player, but it's not unanimous adoration like Cats fans with Stengle re Hayward.

Might be someone they think would be relatively easy to replace but I agree, chance of matching is definitely a factor.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back