Alex Wright (Norwood)

Jack Tuthill

North Launceston

Ins:

Outs:

Michael Stingel (Norwood)
Tom Bennett
Corey Nankervis

* will only add confirmed as there are obviously heaps of rumours out there.

* post here and I’ll add on

Last edited:
Thx for the explanation, quite strange how Sorell got a spot in the prem league with their shonky ground and lack of support but I guess they'd been around the finals a lot in those years to warrant it.
Trivia question for ya, when was the last time Hobart won a final wearing the Richmond jumper that they wear now? Was it the 90 grand final or was it in 92?
I knew they wore a yellow one last time they won a grand final.
1990 TFL Grand Final!
Start of the following year they started wearing the Glenelg SANFL guernseys and did until 1997.
Wore gold ones from 1998-2004, Brisbane Lions ones from 2005-2008 and the current ones from 2009 when they joined the TSL.
Actually, last time Hobart won a final in Black & Gold was the 2003 Preliminary Final against Clarence, by a point.
Their last finals win was in 2006, against Kingborough, and they wore the Brisbane Lions jumper that day.

Sorell (and Brighton and Kingborough) were more seen as "fastest growing areas" and looked at for inclusion rather than onfield performances, although all three had been perennial finalists pre-split division days so that probably helped a lot.

Thx for the explanation, quite strange how Sorell got a spot in the prem league with their shonky ground and lack of support but I guess they'd been around the finals a lot in those years to warrant it.
Trivia question for ya, when was the last time Hobart won a final wearing the Richmond jumper that they wear now? Was it the 90 grand final or was it in 92?
I knew they wore a yellow one last time they won a grand final.

Sorell is a growing area.

I was at the ground last year. They have new change rooms, upgrading their social club rooms. Council are to build a new indoor sports centre next to the ground.

One would say they have potential. ;)

From memory, Sorell, Brighton and all the other SFL Premier League teams in 2002 were put in the PL for no other reason than finishing higher on the ladder in 2001 than the other sides that were ultimately put in the Regional League for 2002!

Kingpin, do you have the 2001 SFL ladder handy?!

North Hobart by 20
North Launceston by 48
Launceston by 9
With all thats been going on & AFLTas knifing Tassie football agin, I hadn't been thinking much about winners/losers!!

Up to date I've only had a couple wrong. NH beat Lauderdale, Clarence getting belted by NL come to mind.

KT are looking good. C,L'ton,NL are always a chance, L'dale seem to lack a bit but too early to write them off, NHFC have improved, G certainly tried hard last week but too small & inexperienced.

I hope the TSL clubs can get the Government to help them fight back. We need the pathway.

Reports are that Brighton and Huonville have been offered the two spots in the SFL Premier League to join the five returning TSL clubs.
Brighton I totally understand, great junior numbers and facilities.
Huonville, on the other hand don’t have super strong junior numbers, the area isn’t growing overly fast compared to areas within Hobart and their ground/facilities aren’t anything to special.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reports are that Brighton and Huonville have been offered the two spots in the SFL Premier League to join the five returning TSL clubs.
Brighton I totally understand, great junior numbers and facilities.
Huonville, on the other hand don’t have super strong junior numbers, the area isn’t growing overly fast compared to areas within Hobart and their ground/facilities aren’t anything to special.
It’s probably as they are set to not lose a game this year?
They have a 16.5s and 18s and reserves team which is better then Glenorchy.

Assuming Huonville go in to Div 1/Premier League or whatever it is called, it’ll be interesting to see how many stay on as they have an awful lot of ex Kingborough players at the club.

Is Kieran Lovell a Huonville junior? I remember lovells playing there.
Played there until under 12s, then went up to Kingborough because Huonville couldn't fill a under 13s team, played at Kingborough until drafted.

Huonville Div one with a player like him aligned to them when not playing Devils is how local clubs can become more professional and compete. Would be great for the community.
That’s very true, if they get all these things right it could make for outstanding outcomes like this example.

Promo and relegation would be OK for lower divisions, although it's still a s**t concept, but the top division needs to stay settled. The other problem is travel. It's all very well seeing Scottsdale fall out of a division and saying "you're playing that group of teams now", but if that group is Longford, Perth, Bracknell and Evandale, that's a big ask for lower standard sides...you just can't keep the enthusiasm up to build a side, and that's how teams fold. The alternative is to plug away in your own group, but as an example, the thrashings that occur in both the Darwin Association and the NWFA, both comps right next to each other, make promo and relegation look like a positive. It's a tough conundrum, but you're better off ensuring the best players are in elite teams, and the rest have an even chance of winning. At the end of the day, it's all about what the team focus is, and if a team playing for the jumper gets thrashed against elite development focused sides every week, then there's a problem. Instead of Div 2 and Div 3, have NTFA Regional North and NTFA Regional South, or similar, and do the same thing in Hobart. It's tenuous these days, and you need every player more committed to staying for whatever their reasoning is...

In the north and south, I'd only have four teams each. If you're going regional, the standard can't be allowed to slip too far or you risk losing too many good players...if you can't play for the VFL Devils, a statewide development comp won't cut it, and you'll go to the mainland or just ditch it altogether...

North - Launceston, North, South and Rocherlea. North and Rocherlea would have to work out their east and north zones. Longford would probably bang the door down, but both they and Deloraine are country sides who haven't dominated their regional leagues...it took a long time for Longford to earn the status of reigning premiers! And Deloraine is a bit of a no man's land, which is why they've jumped between the N and the NW over the last century with little success...they just can't hang onto enough good players to be a force...

In the South, it's Clarence, Glenorchy, North Hobart and Kingborough. As a much bigger population, you could easily make a case for keeping Lauderdale, who've always been pros, and you'd think some up and comer would want in as the sixth. Someone mentioned Brighton...with no opposition up that end, maybe they'd do a better job solidifying the club and being competitive than they've shown in the last two decades...

The NW do their own thing, no problem. I love the idea of Circular Head being in there, but the reality is not looking great. It's been a long time since the CHFA and and the Saints both did well in the same season. We probably won't see East again, although I did hear a recent rumour. That six is still a good combo...

So - NTFA:
NTFA Premier - North, Lton, South and Rocherlea
NTFA North regional - GT, Hillwood, Bridport, Scottsdale, Lilydale, East Coast, Uni, Bridgenorth
NTFA South regional - Bracknell, Longford, Evandale, Deloraine, Perth, Meander Valley, St Pats, OSFC and OLFC

SFL:
Premier - Clarence, Glenorchy, North, Kingborough
SFL West - Cygnet, Huonville, New Norfolk, Claremont, Hobart + 1...could Sandy Bay make a comeback...?
SFL East - Lindisfarne, Sorell, Dodges, Brighton, Lauderdale + 1...maybe from the Oatlands DFA...?
IF Lauderdale ended up in the top league, either New Norfolk or Brighton would join them...if a four team elite isn't created, six v eight team comps would be better than two sevens. But no promo regardless...

NWFL as is. No one tells the NW what to do...!

I just don’t get why you wouldn’t have the best 7 in one Div and the next 7 in another division.

Shouldn’t we be trying to make comps as even as possible? Actually promote getting the standard higher?

Travel is literally a non issue. New Norfolk go to Cygnet currently. That’s further then North Hobart to Cygnet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back