General Sport Discussion (non-AFL)

Remove this Banner Ad

Broncos pretty impressive tonight. My thinking for much of the season has been that they have plenty of icing, just not sure about the cake. But solid in defence tonight and not many silly options on last tackle.

I still think a lack of finals experience may bring them undone in September (haven't played since 2019, haven't won one since 2017), but good to see them finally on the up. Now if we can just get Reece Walsh to stop passing to the sideline 😂🤦

Losing Farnworth will be a shame. Having a heck of a year.

Broncos pretty impressive tonight. My thinking for much of the season has been that they have plenty of icing, just not sure about the cake. But solid in defence tonight and not many silly options on last tackle.

I still think a lack of finals experience may bring them undone in September (haven't played since 2019, haven't won one since 2017), but good to see them finally on the up. Now if we can just get Reece Walsh to stop passing to the sideline 😂🤦

Losing Farnworth will be a shame. Having a heck of a year.
Also, 2-0 at the Gabba.

seriously - how bad was that ball changeover to the poms. Now i still think they were the better team the whole series but that was just a gift from above!

seriously - how bad was that ball changeover to the poms. Now i still think they were the better team the whole series but that was just a gift from above!
Our bowlers and captain got spooked by Bazball IMO, some of the bowling tactics and field placings were strange, we really missed Nathan Lyon although I like the look the look of Todd Murphy.

All true, but let's not forget why the ball had to be changed in the first place. If Usman actually had the appropriate technique for playing the short ball, he gets out of the way of it instead of turning his head.

This happens so much more often now... It's seems the prevalence of helmets means players think they no longer need to worry so much about short ball technique. Frustrating. Duck or sway. Most importantly, KEEP YOUR EYE ON THE BALL.

Novak Djokovic with 24 Major titles now the greatest player of all time?

Personally I would still go with Rod Laver... "only" 11 Major titles but 2 Grand Slams and missed 5 years of competing for Majors in the peak of his career during the amateur v professionalism war.

Novak Djokovic with 24 Major titles now the greatest player of all time?

Personally I would still go with Rod Laver... "only" 11 Major titles but 2 Grand Slams and missed 5 years of competing for Majors in the peak of his career during the amateur v professionalism war.
Personally I’m not one that ranks the sporting achievements of individuals or teams in eras prior to say the 70’s or 80’s onwards when everything became so much more professional or global or rather accessible to everyone. It doesn’t undermine what anyone achieved but when I hear in AFL circles that Collingwood’s achievements in the 50’s still surpasses the likes of the Lions and Hawks this century, I really do laugh.

For me it’s a shame that Roger or Rafa do not hold such a title but I’ve never been a fan of Novak but it’s still a hell of an achievement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally I’m not one that ranks the sporting achievements of individuals or teams in eras prior to say the 70’s or 80’s onwards when everything became so much more professional or global or rather accessible to everyone. It doesn’t undermine what anyone achieved but when I hear in AFL circles that Collingwood’s achievements in the 50’s still surpasses the likes of the Lions and Hawks this century, I really do laugh.

For me it’s a shame that Roger or Rafa do not hold such a title but I’ve never been a fan of Novak but it’s still a hell of an achievement.
Novak is my favourite of the big 3 of this era.

Just goes to show we all like different traits.

McIvor sorry for being a sticker, but it was Collingwood from the 1920s and Melbourne from the 1950s.
Interestingly, for the first 25 years of the VFL, Fitzroy were one of the powerhouse clubs! We won 7/25 premierships.
Got my clubs wrong.

Absolutely we were a powerhouse and it annoys me when morons in the media say our club has only won 3 flags or 4 Brownlow Medalists. Got to count the Fitzroy stuff and not just the Bears.

Rugby Union has hit a new low in this country. Lose to Fiji and no one really cares. Just show how mismanaging your domestic league and putting everything on pay for view is not the best option in the long term.

Rugby Union has hit a new low in this country. Lose to Fiji and no one really cares. Just show how mismanaging your domestic league and putting everything on pay for view is not the best option in the long term.
I went to a few Rugby Internationals at Ballymore in the 80s/very early 90s.. fantastic atmosphere and entertaining.

Could not be bothered with it at all any longer, too bloody slow and boring, the rules lend itself to the Referee being the centre of attention, too many technical penalties on the books.

NRL preliminary finals have not been that competitive.
Yeah that's relatively unusual in a low scoring code. Was hoping at least one of the Storm or Warriors got up.

I hope Grasshopper17 got to the game?
Arrived just as the Warriors scored their third try on the half hour mark. They didn't score again.

So I saw 3 more tries scored in 50 minutes of action after missing 7 tries in the first 30 😂🤦

But we looked good once I arrived. Don't know if we defend quite well enough to knock off Penrith, but I think we're the only team who could possibly beat them next Sunday.

Hopefully going to both!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back