General Sport Discussion (non-AFL)

Remove this Banner Ad

With many of us into a range of various sports, the need for a general discussion thread was long overdue.

That being said, and CJ will feel my pain, but the Red Sox fell into an absolute heap with its worst September since 1952 and winning only 7 of 27:eek: and failing to qualify for the play-offs in an almost un-losable position and being overtaken by the Rays who were 10 games behind only 5-6 weeks ago.

I also saw your boy TBD, Tony Romo, get absolutely crunched by big Bobby Jackson in an incident that looked 10 times worse than getting hit in your car from behind...ouch!

I'll be watching the Giants trying to finish top of a very strong NFC East Division (with lots of banter between myself TBD and RUL), Oregon Ducks trying to go one better and in soccer I'll be hoping to see Cardiff City finally qualify for the EPL. Likewise if the Roar can be he first team to win back-to-back A-League titles.Will be tuning in soon to the Presidents Cup - don't mind a bit of golf, especially matchplay.

I'm actually really excited about the upcoming A-League season.

TFB, did you see Cardiff's game last week? For some reason I have always been a fan of Rob Earnshaw, he was in everything in his 15 minutes on the pitch, saving a goal, potentially could have been awarded a pen and as usual was terrier before unfortunately injuring something. Do you rate him?

With many of us into a range of various sports, the need for a general discussion thread was long overdue.

That being said, and CJ will feel my pain, but the Red Sox fell into an absolute heap with its worst September since 1952 and winning only 7 of 27:eek: and failing to qualify for the play-offs in an almost un-losable position and being overtaken by the Rays who were 10 games behind only 5-6 weeks ago.

I'm pretty sure that was just a dream.

right?

right?

:eek::(

I can't wat to see Harry's debut for the Victory next weekend
The A-League cops a bagging but I reckon it gets better every year. The Roar set a massively high bar last year but by season's end, Central Coast were good enough to challenge them. This year, with Kewell and Emerton, Sydney and the Victory should be quality while Fred at the Heart will have them thereabouts. Adelaide may surprise. It is a shame Culina won't be playing for Newcastle because that would have them right up there. The Roar still have Broich who is as good a player as I've seen locally. And Perth has bought up big again.

Should be a great season.

This year, with Kewell and Emerton, Sydney and the Victory should be quality while Fred at the Heart will have them thereabouts.

While Kewell and Emerton are massive signings for the A-League in general, the Fred signing has gone largely unnoticed. He was electric in his time at Victory a few seasons back. I watch a lot of A-League games and whilst the atmosphere and support gets better and better each season, Gold Coast United are just a blight on the competition...who knows, the Suns could end heading down the same path.:p;)

TFB, did you see Cardiff's game last week? For some reason I have always been a fan of Rob Earnshaw, he was in everything in his 15 minutes on the pitch, saving a goal, potentially could have been awarded a pen and as usual was terrier before unfortunately injuring something. Do you rate him?

Missed the game Dylan so have not caught him since he transferred from Forest. I never really saw him in his first stint with City as they were in 2nd & 3rd div then. We've had a lot of outs like Bellamy and Bothroyd, so we need someone with a bit of spark. Sadly I think last year was our best chance to go up.

Missed the game Dylan so have not caught him since he transferred from Forest. I never really saw him in his first stint with City as they were in 2nd & 3rd div then. We've had a lot of outs like Bellamy and Bothroyd, so we need someone with a bit of spark. Sadly I think last year was our best chance to go up.

I'd have to agree that last year was the golden opportunity missed, especially with a quality player of Bellamy's standing, who was well and truly a class above the league...not to mention, as you said Bothroyd and even Chopra...all big losses. Kenny Miller goes ok, being quite a prolific scorer for Rangers, however both he and Earnshaw will need to fire for City to push for the top 6. There are a lot of good sides in the Championship, with sides like Leicester and West Ham (who are pushing to get Tevez back for 3 months prior to the Jan transfer window), Southampton, Forest and even Brighton...must hurt even more that City's bitter rival Swansea gained promotion.:(

CJ, as much as I hate the Yankees, Robinson Cano's grand slam against Detroit was impressive today...October's just aren't the same without the Red Sox in the play-offs.:(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CJ, have you caught any of the last few innings of the World Series?

Absolutely fantastic game, especially when Texas needed one more out to clinch the World Series in the 9th and Freese struck a double to tie it and still the battle continues into the 11th innings. Anyone's game at this point. From a selfish point of view, I'm hoping it goes to a 7th game tomorrow.

I'm following on twitter at work sadly...

If you have Fox, be sure to watch the highlights, especially from about the 7th innings onwards, cracking game which is precariously hanging in the balance.:thumbsu:

As I type, St Loius win. The hometown kid David Freese hit a cracking solo home run...we go to game 7.

I must say, I have also been a long time admirerer of the commentary team of Joe Buck, Tim McCarver and Ken Rosenthal...if only we had such commentary teams in the AFL.

Unbelievable display of football by Brisbane Roar. To go down a goal early to Adelaide, this last 20 minutes of football has been irresistable with 5 goals and it isn't even half time.:eek::cool:

Unbelievable display of football by Brisbane Roar. To go down a goal early to Adelaide, this last 20 minutes of football has been irresistable with 5 goals and it isn't even half time.:eek::cool:
For 45 minutes last week, I thought that they had come back to the pack. Tonight demonstrated what a quality side they are.

Ange must be one hell of a manager.

Simply astonishing play. It's set the bar high for all the other teams. I thought losing McKay would leave a gaping hole in the side, plus Barbaouses departing & Solarzano defecting. Berisha has slotted in seamless

Will be interesting to see how they fair with the Champions League next year.

I thought losing McKay would leave a gaping hole in the side, plus Barbaouses departing & Solarzano defecting. Berisha has slotted in seamless

Ange must be one hell of a manager.

I too thought they may be brought back into the pack but as POBT said, Ange is bloody good. The guy who has just impressed me immensly is Eric Paartalu and to be hones, he would have to be close to Socceroos selection. Broich is just a phenomenal player and interesting to hear how highly rated he was in Germany back in the day on Fox Sports FC the other night.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back