General Sport Discussion (non-AFL)

Remove this Banner Ad

The guy who has just impressed me immensly is Eric Paartalu and to be hones, he would have to be close to Socceroos selection.

Not too many like the big Viking. Cultured passing game. Hard as nails tackler. Gets forward and can have a ping from outside the box. Dangerous from set pieces with his height. And basically plays like a centre half in the current Roar line up allowing the likes of Stefanutto and Franjic to push up. I think he could be a very good option for the Socceroos.

One thing that I think they missed with Broich and Nicholls as the midfielders was that McKay workrate to give the defenders an option coming out of the defensive half. But Ange worked that problem out after about 45 minutes against Gold Coast and since then, Murdocca has played the workhorse role, giving Nicholls/Broich the ability to push further forward.

And how is the goal sense of Berisha? Not sure he has missed a goal opportunity yet.

I turned from the Man U game to watch a game at 2 all between Chelsea and Arsenal. Roger me rigid what an amazing last 40 odd minutes of football. I would watch EPL over any other league in the world.

I was absolutely horrified at what I witnessed, probably sharing similar to thoughts when you watched the game against Man City last week.;)

Defence has been a massive strength for Chelsea over recent years, but we are literally leaking like a sive and just cannot keep a clean sheet.

Not too many like the big Viking. Cultured passing game. Hard as nails tackler. Gets forward and can have a ping from outside the box. Dangerous from set pieces with his height. And basically plays like a centre half in the current Roar line up allowing the likes of Stefanutto and Franjic to push up. I think he could be a very good option for the Socceroos.

I think he is good enough to be in the Socceroos best side right now, would love to see him surrounded by world class players.

And how is the goal sense of Berisha? Not sure he has missed a goal opportunity yet.

I have been super impressed him, has great goal sense and very opportunistic like Smeltz and most importantly is strong and keeps his feet, which he demonstrated with his second and fourth goals on Friday.

I will definitely be getting to the game b/w Victory and Brisbane this week, should be a cracker.

I was absolutely horrified at what I witnessed, probably sharing similar to thoughts when you watched the game against Man City last week.;)

Kinda. I was not impressed but far from spitting my wrists. These things happen once in a lifetime I guess. Considering that I go back to watching Law backfoot into the net to cause relegation this is less painful. We may go onto to win the premiership again. Nothing surprises me much with sport any more.

Fairs fair I guess..

We won France's biggest race (tour de France)

..so they come and win ours (Melb. Cup)

What a race though?!!...Husband had backed Dunaden, Dad had it in the sweep....and me?

I backed the Verminator!:eek:

How did you all go?....any winners or hardluck stories?

Heh I backed both Dunaden and The Verminator. My wife and sister both got Dunaden in their office sweeps as well. Best Melbourne Cup day since both my sister and I picked Might and Power 14 years ago (obviously no wife back then).

Does 1st, 3rd and 4th in the tri count as a hard luck story?

I missed 15% stake of the tri and 5% of the first four because I only boxed Red Cadeaux in 3rd and not 2nd. :(

Dunaden delivered for me. :thumbsu:

Luckily Dunaden covered me in the end. I drew him in our work $5 sweep (which I run - going to be potted a bit at work today methinks) and so was getting 12-1 for the win as opposed to the 8's offered. A mate of mine got him when he was $45 so was quite happy!

Melbourne Victory can get ****ed. Just watched the Fox Sports news article from last nights game. Nothing but blowing on the balls of the Victory who in my eyes, even without Muscat remain the dirtiest team in A-League's short history.

Dirty grubs! Suck my ass barf!

Go Roarcelona! :D

The 2nd card was no way near a straight red, don't get upset when you cant beat us with 12 men on the park against our 9 :p

The 2nd card was no way near a straight red, don't get upset when you cant beat us with 12 men on the park against our 9 :p

Only if you agree that even with your money, Melbourne have a reputation of being the cheap shot kings of the A-League (90% of incidents caused by Kevin 'The Crippler' Muscat) :D

Roarcelona - 33 games and counting!

Still remember the Grand Final this year very fondly. Most amazing sporting atmosphere's I've been in

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will be interesting to see if the Roar fanbase vanishes as quickly as it appeared when they eventually slide.

Considerably bandwagonism in effect, even by Queensland standards. Ditto with the Reds.

Still can't get into the soccer myself. Loving the NFL season so far though. Some perennial battlers doing surprisingly well for themselves.

Dallas are as up-and-down as always, but so is a certain "Dream Team" :p

The crowds don't reflect a popularity surge.

Didn't mention crowds.

Just a lot of people walking around the office talking about being Roar diehards. Can't say I noticed that 12-18 months ago. ;)

Don't think I could get behind another team with Bowers at the helm. He sure does have a knack though at stepping into these roles when clubs are already at the top though. Hope he doesn't fritter away the proceeds of the good times... again.

Will be interesting to see if the Roar fanbase vanishes as quickly as it appeared when they eventually slide.

Considerably bandwagonism in effect, even by Queensland standards. Ditto with the Reds.

Still can't get into the soccer myself. Loving the NFL season so far though. Some perennial battlers doing surprisingly well for themselves.

Dallas are as up-and-down as always, but so is a certain "Dream Team" :p

You rate Romo TBD?

The Packers vs Ravens game today was a ripper. I can't wait for the day someone does a Ray Lewis style pump up speech in the AFL.

You rate Romo TBD?

I love Tony. He bleeds Dallas Cowboys and is clearly a good bloke (unlike... let's say... Michael Vick) but geez he is frustrating. Has a gap between his best and worst so big that he makes Jared Brennan look consistent. This season so far has been a microcosm of his entire career. Gutsy clutch performances while injured snatching victory from the jaws of defeat and then choking from seemingly unloseable positions a week later. Rinse, repeat.

Happy to stick with him in the absence of better options, but he's running out of time to shake the "flaky" tag. It's not all on him though, our defense has been absolutely lost at times, and as for offense, Romo has never had the o-line protection he deserves, and until DeMarco Murray busted out a few weeks ago, we haven't had the running game to help share the offensive load.

Some really good games this week. Ravens vs Steelers today was amazing, right down to the wire... ditto Giants vs Patriots. Absolute nailbiters both games, with clutch final drives by Joe Flacco and Eli Manning respectively.

I love Tony. He bleeds Dallas Cowboys and is clearly a good bloke (unlike... let's say... Michael Vick) but geez he is frustrating. Has a gap between his best and worst so big that he makes Jared Brennan look consistent. This season so far has been a microcosm of his entire career. Gutsy clutch performances while injured snatching victory from the jaws of defeat and then choking from seemingly unloseable positions a week later. Rinse, repeat.

Happy to stick with him in the absence of better options, but he's running out of time to shake the "flaky" tag. It's not all on him though, our defense has been absolutely lost at times, and as for offense, Romo has never had the o-line protection he deserves, and until DeMarco Murray busted out a few weeks ago, we haven't had the running game to help share the offensive load.

Some really good games this week. Ravens vs Steelers today was amazing, right down to the wire... ditto Giants vs Patriots. Absolute nailbiters both games, with clutch final drives by Joe Flacco and Eli Manning respectively.

I agree he seems a likeable guy. But like you said, he is incredibly inconsistent. I loved his gutsy performance with the rib injury a few weeks back - It's so hard not to notice the games he manages to lose though.

Oops I meant to say Steelers v Ravens. Great game. I'm still not 100% sold on Flacco personally. Manning is in great form of late. I still think Packers will be hard to stop this season.

You really need to get that sand out of your vagina TBD. Get comfortable down the bottom of the NFC East.

You really need to get that sand out of your vagina TBD.

Just because he plays for your team doesn't make him any less of a douche.

You realise he can be a douchebag and a good player at the same time right? (Although he's not worth anything near that 100 mil contract).

Get comfortable down the bottom of the NFC East.

Haven't been watching much NFL this year I see? How are we meant to get comfortable down the bottom of the NFC East when Philly and Washington have already set up camp down there. Andy Reid takes up a fair bit of space. :p

If you can beat Chicago tomorrow (which you should) then you'll be equal with us. Then you can start playing with the big boys. :p

Besides, bottom of the NFC East looks like it will belong to the Skins as usual - pathetic rabble that they are.

Oops I meant to say Steelers v Ravens. Great game. I'm still not 100% sold on Flacco personally. Manning is in great form of late. I still think Packers will be hard to stop this season.

Flacco's a bit sketchy under pressure but he seems to have the tools to be consistently solid but I don't think he'll ever be great. He just needs the "consistently" part. Steelers v Ravens always seems to be a great game, good to see Ravens sweep it this year. :thumbsu:

Anyone been watching 49ers' games? That remains my unsolved mystery of the year. How the hell are they 7-1? In theory I know how (impenetrable defense, Frank Gore, disgustingly weak conference and a generally easy schedule), but 7-1? Really? :confused:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back