General cycling news and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Schultz will end up at Bike Exchange in 2024 - Team wanted him to stay and he tried to get back to the team after B and B collapsed - He was given opportunities by Bike Exchange in one week stage races and could not get the job done.

Someone just muttered something about not being able to see Peter Sagan in this year's TdF as he's retiring?
It’s been reported that this will be his last season, and wants do the MTB Olympics race, so I assume his road season will be reduced. The cool kids on the Cycling News Forum are talking about it

Someone just muttered something about not being able to see Peter Sagan in this year's TdF as he's retiring?

The Slovakian is in the second season of a two-year contract at TotalEnergies, and he indicated that he would ride a familiar programme of races in 2023, including the Spring Classics and the Tour de France.

Sagan also indicated that he could continue to ride under the TotalEnergies banner as a mountain biker in 2024, and that he might ride occasional non-WorldTour road event.

Anyone reading anything into Paris-Nice or Tirreno-Adriatico apart from the Slovakian being dominant?

Gaudu's form looks excellent tbf.

Anyone reading anything into Paris-Nice or Tirreno-Adriatico apart from the Slovakian being dominant?

Gaudu's form looks excellent tbf.

WVA is Jumbo's ace, don't think he can do the Giro and the Tour. I also wonder if Roglic will do both, I think he might. When the Tour route was announced I thought Pog would win by 5 mins, and I haven't changed my mind.

WVA is Jumbo's ace, don't think he can do the Giro and the Tour. I also wonder if Roglic will do both, I think he might. When the Tour route was announced I thought Pog would win by 5 mins, and I haven't changed my mind.
I don't think Jonas can beat Tadej without him.

I'd say he does Giro/Vuelta though. Kelderman should be doing Tour over Giro for them though IMO

How does the rider's radio work on these races.

the commentors often refer to the riders "listening" to the "race radio" after they are dropped off the peloton.

But the riders are often seen using their radios to speak to their team directors.

Obviously they can't all be using the same radio channel

If a rider's team has a specific radio channel, how do they then listen to race radio ?

Do the riders have a multichannel radio ?

the commentors often refer to the riders "listening" to the "race radio" after they are dropped off the peloton.

But the riders are often seen using their radios to speak to their team directors.

If a rider's team has a specific radio channel, how do they then listen to race radio ?

I think race radio is more for the DS and commentators. They pass on relevant stuff to the riders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The race officials or commisaires give information via radio back to the team cars, this is the same channel for all teams, it's sometimes weather info, crashes, abandonments, mechanicals. If a rider asks for their car to come to back of the bunch, the officials organise their car to come forward. Then each team will have their communications with the riders, they can pass info on or give instructions on tactics based on what they have been told or see on the tv screens in the car.

s**t.

Sheffield from Ineos Grenadiers was also taken to hospital as a result of the same crash. :(

s**t.

Sheffield from Ineos Grenadiers was also taken to hospital as a result of the same crash. :(
The shot of Sheffield sitting on the grass bank watching the medics resuscitating Mäder is haunting.

Doping rears its head again... translation of part of the below:

"When I worked with the Festina team where doping was widespread, I had a living laboratory in front of me. This allowed me to set certain limits. I believe that from 410 watts, we enter the area of suspicion. Above 430, the performance is miraculous. Beyond 450 watts, we are in Marvel. The powers developed by Vingegaard and Pogacar are those of real mutants."

dimanche.jpg

Doping rears its head again... translation of part of the below:

"When I worked with the Festina team where doping was widespread, I had a living laboratory in front of me. This allowed me to set certain limits. I believe that from 410 watts, we enter the area of suspicion. Above 430, the performance is miraculous. Beyond 450 watts, we are in Marvel. The powers developed by Vingegaard and Pogacar are those of real mutants."

View attachment 1755831
I get that the history of the sport means any monster performance like can start these discussions, but I’m not sure they’re the massive red flag people present them as. Plenty of people comparing Jonas in the last week to Armstrong, but history shows Armstrong wasn’t some rogue beating a clean field behind, and that essentially most of the peloton at the time were doping.

Don’t get me wrong I don’t think he should’ve kept his tour wins, but the argument that his performances and record were the proof he was doping don’t make much sense to me when once you remove him from the equation the person in second was also doping, then repeat that through most of the peleton.

The time difference across the podium this year isn’t some big anomaly either. Add to that it was one of the toughest routes in decades, and probably the 3rd,4th and 5th best GC riders in the world weren’t there. I’m not saying this generation is definitely clean or dirty, but nothing I saw over the last 3 weeks makes it more or less likely either way.

Whoever wrote that article is pretty out of touch, there is guys who have never made it anywhere near professional level that have FTP's close to 400 watts. Ganna averaged somewhere close to 500 in his hour record. Wiggins was around 450 at his peak. The question mark with Jonas is w/kg, given he is at least 6-7 kg lighter than Pogi. The doctor of doping Ferrari used to have some formula that at around 7 watts per kg, cant be sustained for 1 hour. The calculations from this tour in a few stages has some w/kg numbers which haven't been seen in quite a few years but with the common theme of riders hiding their power numbers, it's just guesswork. Stage 5 and the TT were calculated to be well over 7 w/kg but not for 1 hour.

So on the back of Bendigo not getting a velodrome for the Commonwealth Games, Ballarat are cracking the sads because they are losing the national champs after next year...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back