General cycling news and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting to see a few of the protected riders at the Tour de Romandie this week.

Geraint Thomas is hardly going great guns for Ineos
Marc Hirschi makes it look like stage wins for UAE
Steven Kruijswijk looks cooked for GC right now
Damiano Caruso and Gino Mader are as good a bet as anyone
Thibaut Pinot has one top 10 finish so far this year
Ben O'Connor finished 7th in Andalucia and 6th in Catalunya
Aleksander Vlasov is in really nice form
Rigoberto Uran needs more consistency

Overall O'Connor, Mader and Vlasov are probably favourites.

Interesting to see a few of the protected riders at the Tour de Romandie this week.

Geraint Thomas is hardly going great guns for Ineos
Marc Hirschi makes it look like stage wins for UAE
Steven Kruijswijk looks cooked for GC right now
Damiano Caruso and Gino Mader are as good a bet as anyone
Thibaut Pinot has one top 10 finish so far this year
Ben O'Connor finished 7th in Andalucia and 6th in Catalunya
Aleksander Vlasov is in really nice form
Rigoberto Uran needs more consistency

Overall O'Connor, Mader and Vlasov are probably favourites.

Jumbo should be letting Dennis have a go here to keep him happy, his headspace is a huge factor for their TDF chances. Pinot is the wildcard out of the wilderness, better competition here than last week but if he is back to his best he is good to watch because he has a crack. I think Ayuso can get his first Pro ranks win at 19, the last stage mountain TT should be good viewing.

Ala riding La Vuelta. This could be one of the years where it has clearly the best startlist of the three GT's.

Hindley, Carapaz, O'Connor, Haig, Almeida, Pogacar (rumoured), Roglic, Landa, Mader, Mas, Evenepoel, Yates, De La Cruz and Quintana for GC

Could be a seriously exciting race

I doubt Pogarcar will ride the Vuelta - I see no reason why he should ride 2 GT's in a season , unless he want to miss the TDF one season and then he could do a Giro/Vuelta double - There are too many races which he could win to waste 42 days riding two GT's in a season.

The route for the 2023 Route for the TDU has been announced - The key takeaways are an ITT/Prologue in stage one, a finish on Mt Lofty and no Willunga - O'Grady has taken a risk with this route because it's tougher than usual which may detract some big time riders from attending.

I wish they would send the riders up the Old Norton Summit Rd, instead of the "New" Norton Summit Rd.

The "old" road follows the valley out of Magill, before making a nasty steep climb up to Norton Summit.

The "new" road winds relatively gently up, continuously from Magill to Teringie, passing the Morialta falls on the left. The ride from Teringie to Norton Summit is completely flat.

The old road is much steeper, and more worthy of the KoM points, which are on offer just up the road at Ashton.

*** I used to go to school at Norton Summit, when I was much younger than I am now. I used to ride from Teringie to Norton Summit every day. This is the one part of the course that I know very well.

On SM-A5360 using BigFooty.com mobile app

The route for the 2023 Route for the TDU has been announced - The key takeaways are an ITT/Prologue in stage one, a finish on Mt Lofty and no Willunga - O'Grady has taken a risk with this route because it's tougher than usual which may detract some big time riders from attending.
I reckon we'll see mostly Australian/NZ GC guys. Riders like Hamilton, Dennis, Bennett, Haig, O'Connor, Hindley. TDU is still considered the best 1 week race in the early season so I think we'll still see a strong group this year.

I reckon we'll see mostly Australian/NZ GC guys. Riders like Hamilton, Dennis, Bennett, Haig, O'Connor, Hindley. TDU is still considered the best 1 week race in the early season so I think we'll still see a strong group this year.

There is no doubt that many of the Australian/NZ riders will be happy to be home during summer for the first time in three years - You always get a group of neo-pro's who start the season in OZ, along with some overseas riders who enjoy the TDU - The problem will be if BEX is relegated there have no spot in the race under the current arrangements with the UCI. One last point is that Haig has not been in Australia, since he turned Pro, although he will be in Oz for the World Championships.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is no doubt that many of the Australian/NZ riders will be happy to be home during summer for the first time in three years - You always get a group of neo-pro's who start the season in OZ, along with some overseas riders who enjoy the TDU - The problem will be if BEX is relegated there have no spot in the race under the current arrangements with the UCI. One last point is that Haig has not been in Australia, since he turned Pro, although he will be in Oz for the World Championships.
They currently have the points this year to be ahead of Israel for WT invites. Plus there aren't many big points races for Lotto to overtake them

In case anyone's wondering, this is why the coverage of the 15km scratch race heat was cut on the last lap.

60903019-0-image-a-103_1659269594495.jpg

Last edited:
Some startlist for tonights Kampioenschap van Vlaanderen:

Probably the best sprint group this year with all of Merlier (who is out of form badly unfortunately), Jakobsen, Cavendish, Meeus, Ewan, Theuns, Groenewegen, Bol, Casper Pederson, Keukeliere and Attilio Viviani. Kinda wish Ineos were here to have Elia Viviani as well, or that Cofidis took Cimolai.

Yeah it's a bad look. He was one of the most exciting and popular riders on circuit, can see a lot of people losing a lot of respect for him now.
I feel sorry for him. Here he is, trying to sleep, ahead of the biggest race of his career - and ****wits keep banging on his door, waking him up, and not letting him get any sleep. No wonder he lost his temper and pushed them.

Obviously he's guilty of common assault, but it's a crying shame that the ****wits who kept him up all night weren't also charged with something.

I feel sorry for him. Here he is, trying to sleep, ahead of the biggest race of his career - and ****wits keep banging on his door, waking him up, and not letting him get any sleep. No wonder he lost his temper and pushed them.

Obviously he's guilty of common assault, but it's a crying shame that the ****wits who kept him up all night weren't also charged with something.
I agree, but many will look at the fact that he pushed two women and that's all that'll matter

I agree, but many will look at the fact that he pushed two women and that's all that'll matter
I'm firmly of the opinion that he should be suing the parents of the little brats, for failing to supervise their offspring.

Two wrongs do not make a right. It's just a pity that one wrong has been punished, but not the other.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back