AFLW General AFLW Talk Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

A rhetorical question.

If the AFL was a public listed company would you buy shares if you had the opportunity?

That's ignoring the reality the AFL is 'owned' (metaphorically speaking) by the media and Vic government.

In typical kick-the-can-down-the-road style, they're gonna come up with a one year CBA and carry on negotiating next year :rolleyes:

The Goliath that is the AFL probably has played a part in Super Netball getting itself into financial trouble. Super Netball has upped salary payments as they saw players flocking to AFLW.

As I have written recently, when I talked about targeting tall girls from rowing and other Olympic sports and not just basketball and netball, the $$$ AFLW players will get paid if they become full time by 2026 (as AFLPA want) and the best paid domestic comp athletes by 2030 (as AFL want), will cause big issues for other sports re gaining talent and therefore international results?

The recent pay rise

Australia’s top netballers will earn up to 22 per cent more and remain the highest-paid female domestic club athletes in the country, with Netball Australia, the Australian Netball Players’ Association and the eight Suncorp Super Netball clubs agreeing to a new pay deal.

In a two-year deal that benefits the athletes, the average potential maximum salary of contracted players will increase from $75,167 to $91,500.

The average minimum player salary of contracted players will also rise, by 15 per cent, from $64,167 to $74,000. From the 2022 season, the minimum salary of all athletes will grow by 17 per cent, up to $43,000 from $36,667.

and this arvo, there are more issues than AFLW but TV rights, broadcasters will follow the eyeballs and plenty have moved to AFLW. Supposedly the salary cap takes up 92% of TV/Media rights.

Netball Australia is on the verge of financial ruin with losses and debts amounting to $11 million​

Netball Australia is on the brink of collapse and facing possible foreclosure amid rising bank debts and losses amounting to $11 million combined. How did it come to this and who is to blame?

Australia’s most popular female sport is on the brink of financial ruin with auditors warning Netball Australia is in danger of collapse after years of bad fiscal management dating back to the launch of the Suncorp Super Netball series.
A special News Corp investigation has pored over pages of internal documents and emails that pinpoint key decisions that have left one of Australia’s most popular sports on its knees facing possible foreclosure within 12 months if they can’t clear their debts.

The investigation has uncovered netball has been surviving off special government handouts well before Covid struck after the decision was made in 2016 to walk away from the trans Tasman series to launch the SSN series without a commercially viable plan that delivered strong revenue.

It means Netball Australia is now at a point where it has lost $7.2m over the past two years and has bank debts of approximately $4 million that are due and payable at the end of next year.

In addition to the Trans Tasman impact, Netball’s debts have been exacerbated by:
* The previous broadcast deal.
  • Bank loans on assets.
  • Player pay rises with a salary cap that now consumes 92.85 per cent of the new broadcast revenue.
  • Covid hubs.

The Goliath that is the AFL probably has played a part in Super Netball getting itself into financial trouble. Super Netball has upped salary payments as they saw players flocking to AFLW.

As I have written recently, when I talked about targeting tall girls from rowing and other Olympic sports and not just basketball and netball, the $$$ AFLW players will get paid if they become full time by 2026 (as AFLPA want) and the best paid domestic comp athletes by 2030 (as AFL want), will cause big issues for other sports re gaining talent and therefore international results?

The recent pay rise

Australia’s top netballers will earn up to 22 per cent more and remain the highest-paid female domestic club athletes in the country, with Netball Australia, the Australian Netball Players’ Association and the eight Suncorp Super Netball clubs agreeing to a new pay deal.

In a two-year deal that benefits the athletes, the average potential maximum salary of contracted players will increase from $75,167 to $91,500.

The average minimum player salary of contracted players will also rise, by 15 per cent, from $64,167 to $74,000. From the 2022 season, the minimum salary of all athletes will grow by 17 per cent, up to $43,000 from $36,667.

and this arvo, there are more issues than AFLW but TV rights, broadcasters will follow the eyeballs and plenty have moved to AFLW. Supposedly the salary cap takes up 92% of TV/Media rights.

Netball Australia is on the verge of financial ruin with losses and debts amounting to $11 million​

Netball Australia is on the brink of collapse and facing possible foreclosure amid rising bank debts and losses amounting to $11 million combined. How did it come to this and who is to blame?

Australia’s most popular female sport is on the brink of financial ruin with auditors warning Netball Australia is in danger of collapse after years of bad fiscal management dating back to the launch of the Suncorp Super Netball series.
A special News Corp investigation has pored over pages of internal documents and emails that pinpoint key decisions that have left one of Australia’s most popular sports on its knees facing possible foreclosure within 12 months if they can’t clear their debts.

The investigation has uncovered netball has been surviving off special government handouts well before Covid struck after the decision was made in 2016 to walk away from the trans Tasman series to launch the SSN series without a commercially viable plan that delivered strong revenue.

It means Netball Australia is now at a point where it has lost $7.2m over the past two years and has bank debts of approximately $4 million that are due and payable at the end of next year.

In addition to the Trans Tasman impact, Netball’s debts have been exacerbated by:
* The previous broadcast deal.
  • Bank loans on assets.
  • Player pay rises with a salary cap that now consumes 92.85 per cent of the new broadcast revenue.
  • Covid hubs.

I think that's what led to the hasty, unilateral decision to hold the Netball final in Perth, regardless of which teams are in it - not sure if the WA Government has splashed some of their iron ore royalty riches that way.

I think that's what led to the hasty, unilateral decision to hold the Netball final in Perth, regardless of which teams are in it - not sure if the WA Government has splashed some of their iron ore royalty riches that way.
Yes the GF being played there was about the need for $$$$

Comment: Why selling Super Netball grand final to Perth is the right call​

Selling Super Netball’s grand final to the highest bidder makes economic sense for a code in financial trouble. Upset clubs and fans need to face the reality, writes Selina Steele.

The timing’s not great but the business nous is. With two weeks left to play in Suncorp Super netball’s home and away season - clubs and players were blindsided by the timing of Wednesday’s revelation that the Grand Final had been sold to Perth.

Understandably people in club land were upset. Outside of pandemic interruptions, the winning team of the major semi-final has almost in all cases been awarded the right to host the decider. But outside of the timing, and absence of clear communication, the decision by Netball Australia to profitise the game’s showpiece game is to be applauded.

Let’s be clear - the game we love is in financial trouble. Millions of dollars in trouble. In an candid interview with News Corp earlier this year, Ryan was transparent about the financial challenges facing netball...........

About 8.30 last night jumped in the car to go to the supermarket to buy some milk and bread, to make sure I got home for The Inaugurals doco, knew the crows v Dees game was on 7 and close so thought I'd see if it was on any radio station.

Bugger me it was on the ABC, 5AA had their non AFL calling team there and didn't take the SEN feed, and SEN had their team at the game calling it.

Now with no other footy on it made sense the AFLW game got saturation coverage.

The 5AA and Crocmedia deal after Hutchy signed the overarching radio rights in 2016, before SEN bought out Crocmedia and Hutchy became CEO of SEN in 2018, was that AA would take SEN's AFL Nation feed except for Port and crows game and the same AFL game wont be on both stations except for the last game on a Sunday.

Dont know if they have a similar deal for AFLW, but will be interesting to see if Port games get similar coverage once the men's season is over or when there isn't a men's final on in September.

Just caught the last quarter of the Port vs Swans game today. I must say, I’m quite impressed with the tackling/defensive pressure of the Port team. And I miss Erin already..

For the stats lover, the win of 68 vs 2 is likely to be the biggest winning score percentage so far in AFLW history. A whopping 3400%!

For the stats lover, the win of 68 vs 2 is likely to be the biggest winning score percentage so far in AFLW history. A whopping 3400%!
Dogs actually beat West Coast 68 to 8 in round 9 last season. West Coast scored their 8 points through 1.2.

So while a massive difference in winning percentage, only the one additional score for West Coast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mainly statistical and not much historical fact in this article but some interesting stats.

Just speaks to attitude at Port I reckon. Arnell has done a fantastic job. Not one player shirks a contest.

i don't actually understand that graph? - Port Adelaide (7, 2022) 76.8 - besides 2022 I'm not sure what the rest is referring to?
Port Adelaide is averaging 76.8 tackles per game in Season 7 (2022).

Sydney bounced back from their drubbing at Alberton last week, but it was a dead cat bounce - they scored the first 26 points of the match vs fellow newcomers Hawthorn today, but the Hawks gradually reeled them in and won by 4 points, keeping the Swans goalless after quarter time and now the only team without any premiership points.

Dogs actually beat West Coast 68 to 8 in round 9 last season. West Coast scored their 8 points through 1.2.

So while a massive difference in winning percentage, only the one additional score for West Coast.
While the match you mentioned there was only 1 goal extra, the difficulty here with the recent Port game is keeping an opponent goalless. I’ve seen plenty low scores where a losing side scored 1 or 2 goals, but very rarely have I seen a side not score a goal for the entire game.

All it takes is a few chained dodgy umpire decisions or a 50m penalty and any team can score a goal in a game. So keeping an opponent goalless is a rare AFLW event.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back