AFLW General AFLW Talk Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Good on them their AFLW setup is obviously pretty rock solid, we'll be pushing shit uphill for years probably.

Gotta give it to the crows.

SA women's footy was poorly developed, SANFL ignored it and was light years behind the WAFL and what the WAFC did in terms of $$$ and development programs, and even behind AFLQ. Its why SA was in Div 2 at National champs and didn't even dominate them.

Its why the AFL were only going to start with 6 teams 3 from Vic and 1 from the other Div 1 states ie WA, Qld and NSW.

The decision to partner up with the NT women's footy and the NTFL was a master stroke by Fagan.

It meant that SA and NT gave the AFL wider coverage and a 4th Vic team could start in the initial 8, which the AFL loved, because they had to give Melbourne and Bulldogs a licence, Collingwood were always going to get one so another big Vic club got a chance, ie Carlton

They lucked out and got the best Women's footballer in the country in Erin.

Brilliant decision to go and pinch Chelsea Randall from WA, a multiple All Oz champion from the carnivals and a rock in defence.

The SANFL changed and finally got rid of appointing dross from the clubs and starting appointing independent commissioners, and several have been women, who have championed the women's game in SA and allowed for funds to be put into women's footy and the SA talent pool has exploded.

If there was a national championships now, SA would be able to push Vic and WA hard unlike only 5 years ago.

There are now 3 independent of club loyalties women on the SA Football Commission and a 4th woman was on there a few years ago.

Appointing Doc Clarke as coach was a smart move. Was a smart AFL ruckman with limited talent but used his smarts to get a 250 game career. Being a vet, he is a little bit different than the average male footy coach, and he obviously knows how to work with women well. And the big advantage was he worked with the men's side, still does and also with the women's. So he has obviously been a big driver in a full club integration.

We will be doing it tough the first few years. But get Erin to play for a year or two to inspire the kids and then have her in the coaching group, pinch a few experienced players from the crows and other teams, which we are allowed to do, go find a general for our defence like Chelsea Randall, get a good smart teaching coach, and a couple of excellent skills development coaches and we should be competitive from very early on.

Last edited:
Or the opposite...

We are the most likely to raid them, and if South Australian talent is this good we could be on the same train they are.
More so just the head start and they've snagged 3 flags already, it's a young league I don't mean to impart my current Port induced footy depression on it.

Or the opposite...

We are the most likely to raid them, and if South Australian talent is this good we could be on the same train they are.

It will be interesting to see what happens because so far the only expansion team to have any level of success has been North. We'll need to be very sharp with our recruiting or it could be a long build.

The crows are the side to raid if you are an expansion team. In today's team they had

3 flags + 1 losing 2021 GF - 6 players
3 flags............................ - 1 player Chelsea Randall (missed 2021 GF due to concussion protocols)

2 Flags + 1 losing GF - 4 players

1 Flag + 1 losing GF - 6 players

That's 17 of the 21 players out there today.

Plus on their inactive list they have 2 players who have won 2 flags + a losing GF, Dani Varnhagen no vax issues and Angela Foley who did her ACL in last year's GF.

Daisy sucks. Erin is 10x the player she is but the media loves tossing Daisy off.
I think Daisy gets a lot of credit because for a long time she was the face of women's football and the best player in Australia. Her more prominent achievements are with Darebin and she was really already past her peak by the time the AFLW actually came in to being. So she built her profile and respect in this time, and those that were around pre-AFLW want to see her be successful.

In short:
Erin is an AFLW superstar
Daisy is a women's football superstar who plays in the AFLW

The crows are the side to raid if you are an expansion team. In today's team they had

3 flags + 1 losing 2021 GF - 6 players
3 flags............................ - 1 player Chelsea Randall (missed 2021 GF due to concussion protocols)

2 Flags + 1 losing GF - 4 players

1 Flag + 1 losing GF - 6 players

That's 17 of the 21 players out there today.

Plus on their inactive list they have 2 players who have won 2 flags + a losing GF, Dani Varnhagen no vax issues and Angela Foley who did her ACL in last year's GF.
Hatch is surely target #1 for us. Port supporter who was the Norm Smith equivalent and could potentially be the best player in the league next year.

Found it interesting to hear that Jasmine Simmons will be playing basketball with Hatch + Phillips. I don't know much about her beyond her being a recent draftee, basketballer and was in the GF sprint.

Any chance those are the three we get across? Hatch, Simmons, Phillips?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adel 4 GFs = 3 flags
Bris 3 GFs - 1 flag
WB. 1 GF - 1 flag
Mell 1 GF
Carl 1 GF

Of the other original 8 sides Freo were the best in the cancelled 2020 season and have made finals in last 2 years since top 6 has been introduced. Collingwood have also made finals the last 2 years since they have had a rop 6.

GWS' best season was 2020 and only season they have won more games than they have lost.

North are the only expansion team to have done well. They are the only expansion team to have made top 6 the 2 seasons we have had it and were top of their conference in 2020 winning 5 of the 6 games before the season was cancelled.

The 2 expansion sides in the AFL locked in the Hawks dominance as 30 to 40 top end players were taken out of the pool to help sides challenge the Hawks.

The 4 expansion sides in AFLW will do the opposite and weaken some of the dominate sides.

If the expansion rules stay the same, Port and Sydney will be able to sign 8 crows and GWS players and Hawks and Bombers sign a max of 4 players from any Vic team.

Last edited:
Hatch is surely target #1 for us. Port supporter who was the Norm Smith equivalent and could potentially be the best player in the league next year.

Found it interesting to hear that Jasmine Simmons will be playing basketball with Hatch + Phillips. I don't know much about her beyond her being a recent draftee, basketballer and was in the GF sprint.

Thats Anne Hatchard. yes she would be a good get. Another Morphettville Park product.

They were the dominant team in the last few years of the SAWFL and the crows drafted 8 or 9 players from there in their first draft in 2016, and still have 8 on their list who came from there.

Triple premiership players - Hatchard, Ebony Marinoff and Justine Mules. Double premiership players - Eloise Jones and Dani Vanhagen and single premiership player Dayna Cox.

Most Morphettville Park players would be living in the West Adelaide or Glenelg zone as their home ground Kellett Reserve is just inside the Glenelg (side) - West Adelaide zone border. West Adelaide zone is linked to our NGA.

Last edited:
I get the feeling we will have to put a line through Noff. Too connected, all set to be the face of the Crows once the others leave and already working in media. Seems the intelligent type that will be an ambassador/commentator/coach post-football and the way she achieves that is to stay at the franchise.

Vernhagen the club wouldn't touch with a 20 foot pole.

Not to say there wouldn't be a bunch of other great picks there if we do get to raid 8 of them.

I get the feeling we will have to put a line through Noff. Too connected, all set to be the face of the Crows once the others leave and already working in media. Seems the intelligent type that will be an ambassador/commentator/coach post-football and the way she achieves that is to stay at the franchise.

Vernhagen the club wouldn't touch with a 20 foot pole.

Not to say there wouldn't be a bunch of other great picks there if we do get to raid 8 of them.
Yeah she isn't leaving. At 24 she has a large chunk of a footy and non footy career to build over the rest of the decade, as a crows player and face of the crows, not just AFLW but as a club.

Last edited:
If the expansion rules stay the same, Port and Sydney will be able to sign 8 crows and GWS players and Hawks and Bombers sign a max of 4 players from any Vic team.
Small nitpick: If the previous rules are applied, the Crows and Giants can each lose up to 8 via FA expansion signings in total to any new club, the rest can each lose up to 4 " " ".

That's important to note particularly for Port, since there are about a dozen SA players currently spread out across non-Adelaide teams. So that will absolutely be a recruiting source, similar to how the Swans have already locked in Sydney product Maddy Collier to return from the West Coast Eagles. Plus, a good player from the Lions, for example, with no previous connection to SA might just want to come if they get a nice offer, and the rules would mean they easily can.

However, there have been reports about the rules potentially changing to a points system in which the AA panel gives each player a value, ensuring clubs aren't disproportionately affected (there's a reason why this proposal didn't get up the last 2 times though, and I won't be surprised if it has failed again). In any case, Port can still trade away draft picks to bring players over from a club that has already lost its quota to FA (4 of the 6 expansion teams did that to some degree for their initial list build).

Anyone is a chance to come over, really.

Simmons is an interesting case. She played footy when she was younger, but then focused on basketball. She only really started playing any footy again around a year ago. She's super athletic, but seemed a bit lost in her few matches this year. In the vicinity of the ball but not really impacting it, that kind of thing. I think she would benefit from being given a set position, but the Crows are pretty flush for talls so she was left to mostly just roam around. I imagine it would be easy to get her across if you want her, given that she wasn't making the starting side for the Crows.

Phillips is obviously past her peak, but she still has enough smarts to contribute well and she brings oodles of experience for a young group, both as a footballer and also just as a world class athlete. Obviously there is the Port connection there and she has nothing left to prove at Adelaide.

And Hatchard is probably the best player in the competition, with apologies to Emily Bates, and she only just turned 24. You'd have to assume she will be in the highest-paid tier at Adelaide, so Port would need to either find some other avenue to get her more money, or offer her something she isn't getting there. I'm not sure if she has leadership aspirations? Or she may just be enthused by the challenge of something new.

If I'm the Crows, I'd be moving heaven and earth to keep Hatchard. That would be the biggest prize you guys could get.

Anyone is a chance to come over, really.

Simmons is an interesting case. She played footy when she was younger, but then focused on basketball. She only really started playing any footy again around a year ago. She's super athletic, but seemed a bit lost in her few matches this year. In the vicinity of the ball but not really impacting it, that kind of thing. I think she would benefit from being given a set position, but the Crows are pretty flush for talls so she was left to mostly just roam around. I imagine it would be easy to get her across if you want her, given that she wasn't making the starting side for the Crows.

Phillips is obviously past her peak, but she still has enough smarts to contribute well and she brings oodles of experience for a young group, both as a footballer and also just as a world class athlete. Obviously there is the Port connection there and she has nothing left to prove at Adelaide.

And Hatchard is probably the best player in the competition, with apologies to Emily Bates, and she only just turned 24. You'd have to assume she will be in the highest-paid tier at Adelaide, so Port would need to either find some other avenue to get her more money, or offer her something she isn't getting there. I'm not sure if she has leadership aspirations? Or she may just be enthused by the challenge of something new.

If I'm the Crows, I'd be moving heaven and earth to keep Hatchard. That would be the biggest prize you guys could get.
Thanks for the info on Simmons in particular.

Agree on Hatch. I dont read too much in to the b&f, from what Ive seen I dont reckon Id have Bates in my top 5 players in the AFLW, I just think she plays for a side that wins a lot but doesnt have many teammates that have the kinds of roles where they take votes off her.

In term of her motivation, surely Hatch being a passionate Port fan and good friend of Phillips would give her good reason to want to play for Port, no? Or do you think thats all in the past now?

In term of her motivation, surely Hatch being a passionate Port fan and good friend of Phillips would give her good reason to want to play for Port, no? Or do you think thats all in the past now?

Her being a Port fan growing up might mean something. I must admit, I'm not across who most of our players supported when growing up. I would assume that playing for the Crows and developing bonds there for the last six seasons supersedes that, but who knows? It gives you guys something to approach her with, anyway.

She's friends with Phillips but I wouldn't have thought she is closer to her than anyone else in the side.

She's played her cards close to her chest so far, as opposed to say, Marinoff who has outright said she doesn't intend to leave the Crows. Read into that what you will I guess!

Her being a Port fan growing up might mean something. I must admit, I'm not across who most of our players supported when growing up. I would assume that playing for the Crows and developing bonds there for the last six seasons supersedes that, but who knows? It gives you guys something to approach her with, anyway.

She's friends with Phillips but I wouldn't have thought she is closer to her than anyone else in the side.

She's played her cards close to her chest so far, as opposed to say, Marinoff who has outright said she doesn't intend to leave the Crows. Read into that what you will I guess!
Yeah to be fair I'm not across who most of your players supported either, just two :)

I guess we will see how it plays out. My gut is saying she comes to Port, but I've been wrong before.

A rhetorical question.

If the AFL was a public listed company would you buy shares if you had the opportunity?

That's ignoring the reality the AFL is 'owned' (metaphorically speaking) by the media and Vic government.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back