AFLW General AFLW Talk Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Crows look like trumping that % today against GWS - leading 97 - 1 late in the final qtr :eek:
That's the final score. Flicked on for ;ast 30 seconds and they said its a record margin. 15.7 v 0.1

Will be tough next week.

Hopefully we get some priority picks in the draft next year. We need them. The SA U18 draft cohort this year looks especially good this year with Young (U18 All Australian as a 15 year old) and Goody (AA as an underager) available this year. Two picks before the Crows would be nice. Maybe even three.

Abbey Dowrick's sister McKenzie kicked four goals for the Crows today. I never understood at the time why we didn't sign her to our inaugural squad (she had been delisted by the Crows) and it looks like she is having a good season after they re-drafted her. It's a shame we couldn't have had another pair of sisters playing together for us. They will be opponents next week instead!

In today's press there is a story about Denni Varnhagen losing her court challenge to the State Government's vaccine mandate. I shook my head at the last sentence, Varnhagen, who has been benched by the Crows, is tipped to be eyeing a return to AFLW with rivals Port Adelaide.

I hope there is no substance in that report.

In today's press there is a story about Denni Varnhagen losing her court challenge to the State Government's vaccine mandate. I shook my head at the last sentence, Varnhagen, who has been benched by the Crows, is tipped to be eyeing a return to AFLW with rivals Port Adelaide.

I hope there is no substance in that report.
Between Denni and Jr Rioli it feels like the "no dickheads policy" has been completely turfed

Wonder if the AFL is worried, new boss is going to come in with this comp going backwards in crowds and off the cliff in tv ratings/interest. I thought the port vs Crows game might get in the top 20 last night but no and did s**t on the fox footy too.

Comment from Ben Dixon yesterday, that was a good tackle, gave the Suns player no chance to get rid of the ball. Holding the ball, good decision by the Umpire. If the player took possession and had no chance to get rid of the ball how has she had prior opportunity? It was in fact a poor decision and Dixon was following the Foxtel policy of covering up the Umpires mistakes.

The holding the ball interpretation in the AFLW is a joke and the game would be better served if the Umps swallowed the whistle, let the girls play and only penalised the blantant holding the ball. They get too technical early in the game and then have to be seen to be consistent.

Between Denni and Jr Rioli it feels like the "no dickheads policy" has been completely turfed
Denni isn’t really a dickhead.
She just doesn’t want to be vaccinated for whatever reason.

That shouldn’t stop her being a footballer, especially now it’s all over.

It’s not as if she’s an abuser or an addict.

I was really looking forward to Port being in this comp. I have coached womens teams and was a foundation member.

Some footy instead of cricket etc. playing it straight after the mens season however has turned me right off. I needed a break from footy and was looking forward to balmy summer evenings at Alberton.

Awful move to have it played during the ‘bullshit trades’ and finals time.

I was really looking forward to Port being in this comp. I have coached womens teams and was a foundation member.

Some footy instead of cricket etc. playing it straight after the mens season however has turned me right off. I needed a break from footy and was looking forward to balmy summer evenings at Alberton.

Awful move to have it played during the ‘bullshit trades’ and finals time.
My tip - watch replays. Its much easier to not get spoiled and you don't have to sacrifice prime-time. My approach for many games so far has been to watch them the next morning over a coffee.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My tip - watch replays. Its much easier to not get spoiled and you don't have to sacrifice prime-time. My approach for many games so far has been to watch them the next morning over a coffee.
I don’t really watch footy on TV, way too much bullshit. I like going to games.
Hence looking forward to a summer beer and meal at the club to watch games.

It’s also why no gap in the season becomes a bit tiring/annoying.

From Rucci's article today some snippets comparing the 4 new teams.

The 4 new teams have only won 5 games, 3 among themselves ie Ess beat Haw Rd1, Port beat Syd Rd 4 and hawks beat Syd Rd 5. The 2 wins outside the new teams have seen last years wooden spooner WCE get spanked by Ess in Rd 3 in Perth at Lathlain Park by 52pts 84-32 and Hawks beat WCE by 3 pts at Frankston last week.

In consecutive weeks Essendon at home and Port away drew with Carlton in Rds 2 and 3 respectively.

The game tonight v Hawks determines who joins Essendon in the 9th-14th positions or stays in the 15th-18th positions come end of season.

Last week Essendon lost to Brisbane in Qld 3.0 v 8.14 and we lost the showdown 0.3 v 8.15, so the 2 best AFLW teams had similar sort of domination against the new girls.

So far, after six rounds, the premiership table tells of the new quartet -

ESSENDON, 10th with two wins [and a draw] - including the season-opening triumph against Hawthorn. It was the first of the new entries to score a win against an established team (Season 6 wooden spooner West Coast) [109.7%]

HAWTHORN, 15th with two wins - both in the past two rounds and including the ice-breaker against Sydney [49.1%]

PORT ADELAIDE, 16th with one win and a draw - the win collected against Sydney. It also has taken points off an established team, Carlton. [81.1%]

SYDNEY, 18th of 18 with no win - and losses to fellow new teams Port Adelaide and Hawthorn [28.1%]

Form lines -

Port Adelaide, LLDWLL (losing to West Coast by 12 points, losing to the Western Bulldogs by 19 points, tie with Carlton, beating Sydney by 66 points, losing to Gold Coast by 14 points on the road and falling to Adelaide by 60 points in the first AFLW Showdown); [81.1%]

Hawthorn, LLLLWW (losing the grudge match with fellow expansion team Essendon by 26 points, losing to St Kilda by 53 points, losing to Richmond by 35 points, losing to the Western Bulldogs by 30 points, scoring first win by beating Sydney by four points and following up with a three-point win against West Coast at the weekend). [49.1%]

Ive just finished watching the last quarter and a bit of Brisbane v crows game from Metricon. Brisbane won 8.5 v 4.7 and with two games to go, go a game clear of the crows at the top of the ladder.

High quality contest and shows how far we are behind both teams. Both sides have a lot of players who know what to do, but more importantly can execute what they need to do.

We are several years away from catching these 2 teams. They both have a lot of depth. As they should as they are the best 2 teams over the 7 seasons of AFLW

******* hell, beyond embarrassing.
parklands umpires as i called them in a Footy Industry thread, why the AFLW is struggling for crowds. I am putting some screen shots together for the Hannah Ewings thread and you will see another example of poor positioning by the female goal umpire. unnecessarily positioning herself inside the playing area.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back