• J. Riewoldt

Votes: 41 22.4%
  • C.Scott

Votes: 56 30.6%
  • Hardwick

Votes: 54 29.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

In the interests of keeping your back and forth shite fights out of match threads so normal people can talk.

Keep it clean and above the shorts
Off topic rubbish clogging up match threads will be moved here, knock yourselves out.

homero-pelea-simpsons.gif

Last edited:
haha lol didn’t even know you could do that.

That Richmond troll has my respect. He’ll make you go more crazy than me.
Cooney is a good comparison to Dusty actually, bit of a battler with a few good years before fading into obscurity. At least Dusty has a few flags though

In other news, totally not Richmond supporter Lunchtime aka the poster formely known as Carboot/Carblue has finally changed his supported team from Carlton to Richmond after trying his darndest to boost his boy Jack Riewoldt's credentials post retirement in every Tom Hawkins related discussion under the guise of being a 'neutral'.

Great catch! Love your work

Not me. If I did it was banter, keep this on record. I don’t care about Gary’s poor games at his second stint at Geelong.

Whenever you get called out on a really sh*t take you say “it’s only banter”.
Truth is it’s almost always a sh*t take and was not meant as banter.

I’m beginning to think you don’t really understand banter.

I remember Dusty. He used to do that “fend-off” thing a bit.
Nowhere near as well as Harley Reid does it, but not bad nonetheless.
Dusty is just Harley Reid from wish dot com

Cats defiitely going better than Tigers at the moment, congratulations Cats

Shame that never seems to happen in finals. ;)
probably has a lot do with the fact the Tigers have missed the finals in 33 of the past 43 seasons

probably has a lot do with the fact the Tigers have missed the finals in 33 of the past 43 seasons

Now I could just about believe that if only there was any proof in 127 years of the history of the competition that Geelong Cats Football Club could:

1. Outscore Richmond in any given finals series, and
2. Go on to win the Premiership after having done so.

But there is scant evidence of same Woj my man, none whatsoever. :)

....And on the topic of personal struggles, GAJ literally left the 2020 hub for months due to his little boy being sick, with questions at the time if he had long to live.

Personally, I think critiquing either player for their form in years where football clearly wouldn't have been at the forefront of their minds is poor form, but it's not like this thread hasn't stooped to disgusting levels before

For all the banter, these guys are human beings with real struggles. They're no different to anyone else in these situations, including us.

We need to all be better on that front, and for both sides here, if you're going to play that card you can't pick and choose when it applies to you.
Exactly. It's not a personal attack to say Ablett struggled in the second half of 2020 or that Martin has declined in his 30s more than some other veterans. The people who have said Martin doesn't care, is selfish or has no heart - I fully disagree with that. I'm merely pointing out in legacy terms that any player who has life get in the way and are unable to produce their best footy...it is still a factor in rating their overall output. Circumstances influence things, like Ablett Senior only getting to play in one finals series where he wasn't an old man.

Whenever you get called out on a really sh*t take you say “it’s only banter”.
Truth is it’s almost always a sh*t take and was not meant as banter.

I’m beginning to think you don’t really understand banter.
Also seems to have a habit of hitting the report button when he gets offended

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now I could just about believe that if only there was any proof in 127 years of the history of the competition that Geelong Cats Football Club could:

1. Outscore Richmond in any given finals series, and
2. Go on to win the Premiership after having done so.

But there is scant evidence of same Woj my man, none whatsoever. :)
So you're saying you don't believe Richmond has missed the finals in 33 of the past 43 seasons? Do you think it's an opinion of mine or do you not understand how historical data works

So you're saying you don't believe Richmond has missed the finals in 33 of the past 43 seasons? Do you think it's an opinion of mine or do you not understand how historical data works

I am not challenging your submission that Richmond has the lowest losing final to winning Grand Final strike ratio in the period in question at all. You are correct.

The issue is that had Richmond been good enough to make finals in all those non-finals years, the evidence tells us quite clearly Geelong would not have been good enough to beat the Tigers. Which is a shame for your club. :)

Last edited:
I am not challenging your submission that Richmond has the lowest losing final to winning Grand Final strike ratio in the history of the period in question at all. You are correct.

The issue is that had Richmond been good enough to make finals in all those non-finals years, the evidence tells us quite clearly Geelong would not have been good enough to beat the Tigers. Which is a shame for your club. :)
Interestingly Richmond in the AFL era had just one season where they faced sides in a final remotely close in quality to the 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011 or 2022 Cats. Or the other dynasty sides. In 2001 they copped fearful hidings from great Essendon and Brisbane teams. Who was the best side they played in their other finals adventures (2013-2022)? 2020 Port or Cats? The 2017 "staredown" Crows? Wow, that's a low bar. No wonder their finals record was good.

Geelong in finals in the AFL era fronted up against Pagan's Roos, the 90's Weagles, '95 Blues, dynasty Lions, Choco's Power, dynasty Hawks, Lyon's Saints/Dockers, Malthouse's Pies, Longmire's Swans and the dynasty Tigers. Some quality coaches and outfits in there. Some roads to premierships involved beating those sides, with a bunch of other near misses in prelims/grand finals against some great sides of the AFL era.

In other words Richmond's place in the AFL era is a mostly forgotten club who bobbed up in a weak era and cleaned house, only to disappear as quickly as they appeared.

Interestingly Richmond in the AFL era had just one season where they faced sides in a final remotely close in quality to the 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011 or 2022 Cats. Or the other dynasty sides. In 2001 they copped fearful hidings from great Essendon and Brisbane teams. Who was the best side they played in their other finals adventures (2013-2022)? 2020 Port or Cats? The 2017 "staredown" Crows? Wow, that's a low bar. No wonder their finals record was good.

Geelong in finals in the AFL era fronted up against Pagan's Roos, the 90's Weagles, '95 Blues, dynasty Lions, Choco's Power, dynasty Hawks, Lyon's Saints/Dockers, Malthouse's Pies, Longmire's Swans and the dynasty Tigers. Some quality coaches and outfits in there. Some roads to premierships involved beating those sides, with a bunch of other near misses in prelims/grand finals against some great sides of the AFL era.

In other words Richmond's place in the AFL era is a mostly forgotten club who bobbed up in a weak era and cleaned house, only to disappear as quickly as they appeared.

You mean to say Meow that the strongest Grand Final team in the 127 year history of the competition was somehow one of the weakest because you have to be a seriously weak Grand Final winning team to be that far ahead of your opposition? :drunk:

Meow logic. Meowgic. ;)

The AFL doesn't suddenly become strong or weak for an era. The same percentage of games are won or lost by all clubs across the competition every single season.

Nevertheless, it is nice of you to recognise our recent dynasty team was further ahead of their Grand Final opponents across multiple Grand Finals THAN ANY OHER TEAM IN THE WHOLE 127 HISTORY OF the competition. 222% was the unmatched Tiger GF percentage during our dynasty.

But this somehow tells you that Richmond were a weak dynasty.

Attachments

• amazed.gif
    amazed.gif
    69.4 KB · Views: 3
You mean to say Meow that the strongest Grand Final team in the 127 year history of the competition was somehow one of the weakest because you have to be a seriously weak Grand Final winning team to be that far ahead of your opposition? :drunk:

Meow logic. Meowgic. ;)

The AFL doesn't suddenly become strong or weak for an era. The same percentage of games are won or lost by all clubs across the competition every single season.

Nevertheless, it is nice of you to recognise our recent dynasty team was further ahead of their Grand Final opponents across multiple Grand Finals THAN ANY OHER TEAM IN THE WHOLE 127 HISTORY OF the competition. 222% was the unmatched Tiger GF percentage during our dynasty.

But this somehow tells you that Richmond were a weak dynasty.
Which were the top 5 finals sides you've seen Richmond play against after 2001? And would you rank them above/below:

The 2001 Lions/Bombers
The other dynasty sides this century
The best versions of the Blues, Roos and Eagles of the 90s, and the Pies/Saints/Power/Swans of the 21st century?

I know you hate exercises like this and are famous for avoiding them by another hilarious deflection. But I'm willing to give you another shot.

Your answer: "All sides are the same quality! Except for the premiers. I know that Richmond are the strongest grand final side because they won by the most" - 2 year old logic.

Which were the top 5 finals sides you've seen Richmond play against after 2001?

How good a team is cannot be solely defined by how good its opponents were in specific matches. This would be like saying if peak Mike Tyson beat up his missus it proves he wasn't a great boxer. Hey, wait a minute...:oops:

Geelong were definitely our bitches Meow. You need to own that. :)

How good a team is cannot be solely defined by how good its opponents were in specific matches. This would be like saying if peak Mike Tyson beat up his missus it proves he wasn't a great boxer. Hey, wait a minute...:oops:
Just have a go. If you don't you are automatically admitting the challenging pack Richmond faced was not a strong one.

Again, it is staggering that Richmond in the AFL era finals has faced just two sides that could be considered "great" historically. Both in the same season. And was utterly flogged by both of them.

Just have a go. If you don't you are automatically admitting the challenging pack Richmond faced was not a strong one.

Why? What is rating the teams who were not good enough to kick more than 45% of Richmond's score across 3 Grand Finals going to do to alter my view of how good Richmond were?

If those teams got within a bull's roar of the Tigers it might be a worthwhile exercise. But that they were that far behind just goes to establish how far ahead of the whole competition Richmond was at that time. And the competition isn't going to have gotten weaker, Richmond was playing against 17 fully professional clubs with fully funded football departments etc. Geelong's dynasty team was lucky to be playing against 4-5 fully funded football departments.

Why? What is rating the teams who were not good enough to kick more than 45% of Richmond's score across 3 Grand Finals going to do to alter my view of how good Richmond were?

If those teams got within a bull's roar of the Tigers it might be a worthwhile exercise. But that they were that far behind just goes to establish how far ahead of the whole competition Richmond was at that time. And the competition isn't going to have gotten weaker, Richmond was playing against 17 fully professional clubs with fully funded football departments etc. Geelong's dynasty team was lucky to be playing against 4-5 fully funded football departments.
You won't have a go? You won't even name the top 5 sides Richmond played in finals after 2001?

You won't have a go? You won't even name the top 5 sides Richmond played in finals after 2001?

Wtf you are a mess Meow.

You are trying to sell us that the most dominant Grand Final team in the 127 year history of the competition wasn't that good in finals because they were too far ahead of their challengers, 17 of whom happened to have fully funded football departments for the first time in history. LOL.

Attachments

• laughter.gif
    laughter.gif
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
Back