Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah we definitely don't have a bad list IMO. It has some weaknesses like all lists that could make it hard if we had unlucky injuries. Losing Liam Jones would be hard to cover. Losing Bont, Ads, or Richards would be a challenge. Our wings are a work in progress.

Some of the comments are comical in here from the pro-Bevo mob.

When we lose it’s because we have a bottom 8 list and we aren’t underperforming. He can’t go out there and kick the ball for them.

When we win we hear how stat x y and z means we are a top 4 team that’s been unlucky in a few games. And he’s a coaching genius.

It’s a good laugh of a Sunday morning

Some of the comments are comical in here from the pro-Bevo mob.

When we lose it’s because we have a bottom 8 list and we aren’t underperforming. He can’t go out there and kick the ball for them.

When we win we hear how stat x y and z means we are a top 4 team that’s been unlucky in a few games. And he’s a coaching genius.

It’s a good laugh of a Sunday morning
I don't think anyone can say anything as ridiculous as some of the commentary of wanting a coach sacked with 17 games to go in the season or whatever.

I don't think anyone can say anything as ridiculous as some of the commentary of wanting a coach sacked with 17 games to go in the season or whatever.

This is what the pro-Bevo people fail to comprehend. It was never a 6 game sample size and it isn’t solely performance based.

Majority who see Bevo is at the end and needs to move is in relation to the continual deficiencies across 3 years. The failures to correct game plan and structural issues and the complete backflip of the coach on where the club is at 1 game into a season.

Did some get carried away and want him gone immediately yep absolutely but clearly born out of frustration for 3 years.

I’ve been staunchly anti-Bevo for the last 2 - 3 years. I still believe our board has much to answer for in failing to recognise the rinse and repeat issues and to take action since 2022.

I’m starting to see some real change in some of the way we are going and I feel some sense of optimism for the back end of the year. Would love to see us win a final and have Bevo go out with a bang. Would be ideal for all parties. He’s still been our coach for too long and I believe has had too much influence internally but the new coaching group seems to be making some inroads. Excited to see how we match up against Sydney this week.

I wanted Bevo gone after the last two years of rinse and repeat style performances so it is with a sense of trepidation that I allow my self to be optimistic.

Maybe the extra support put in place is actually having its desired effect and I am simply impatient. Harmes is settling in as well as the young guys and selection seems more consistent.

These things take time.

Two weeks ago, many denied that this list is a potential top-four team. The Bevo supporters can't have it both ways. We are either a potential top-four underperforming list or a mid-ranked list performing at par. Neither is a compelling argument supporting Bevo.
or perhaps neither is true. We may have been searching for the right mix of players and game plan, adjusting on the run.

Our defensive structure has been great with Keath in defence and Richards providing that speed in the midfield

Dogs won't fire Bevo and everything is in his court

If we manage to clip Swans on Thurs
Our second half of the year will be interesting to watch

Our defensive structure has been great with Keath in defence and Richards providing that speed in the midfield

Dogs won't fire Bevo and everything is in his court

If we manage to clip Swans on Thurs
Our second half of the year will be interesting to watch
We do seem to have stumbled/happened on a better mix. I’d be interested to know if it’s luck or by design and who has been responsible for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is what the pro-Bevo people fail to comprehend. It was never a 6 game sample size and it isn’t solely performance based.

Majority who see Bevo is at the end and needs to move is in relation to the continual deficiencies across 3 years. The failures to correct game plan and structural issues and the complete backflip of the coach on where the club is at 1 game into a season.

Did some get carried away and want him gone immediately yep absolutely but clearly born out of frustration for 3 years.
People were at pains to say that Bevo maintained a winning record over the entirety of a coaching record and from 2019, that even a feels-bad shitty season won more games than he lost in 2023, and at any given week, in terms of a fairly assessed power rankings that seek to even out goalkicking inaccuracy, home ground advantage effects, strength of team opposition and opposition player injuries, at no any individual round over the last several years were we considered worse than about the 11th best team in the league, ie, we were not multiple weeks consistently outside of just outside finals, which is a pretty good position to bottom out.

All of which is to say far too hand-wringing and overreaction was made to moderately bad performances - and complaining about "deficiencies" which aren't really deficiencies all of the time. We were never really truly that bad, and the natual extension of that is that two excellent performances.

We've had numerous coaches that have barely won a game over several years and the criticism of someone who was winning more than they're losing was completely ridiculous.

In many respects I don't want to run laps around the fact we've played well two weeks in a row, because in a sense, I don't think we've actually played a mile this season. I just think were were never that bad, so a small improvement can launch us into the top 4 of power rankings, even if I agree with everyone else that it's only a small improvement.

I’ve been staunchly anti-Bevo for the last 2 - 3 years. I still believe our board has much to answer for in failing to recognise the rinse and repeat issues and to take action since 2022.

I’m starting to see some real change in some of the way we are going and I feel some sense of optimism for the back end of the year. Would love to see us win a final and have Bevo go out with a bang. Would be ideal for all parties. He’s still been our coach for too long and I believe has had too much influence internally but the new coaching group seems to be making some inroads. Excited to see how we match up against Sydney this week.
I find it strange that you would want a coach that had just coached a winning final - and likely to be one of the league's better coaches as a result - to also leave immediately thereafter. Common sense would dictate that the coach that we use to replace them would be a worse coach than the one who just won a final, and irrespective of the extent of their control, influence or whatever, that ultimately, we would be less likely to win games.

So now there are actually teams, the pro Bev team and the anti Bev team.

There are aspects of coaching that need improvement. On the other hand too many of our better players are still very much developing.

It is happening before our eyes and it may or may not end up with is being successful. However, if the best you can do is defend your position based on your bias and then try and defend it, not sure you will ever be happy with the club, coach amd team.

This is one of the hardest most even professional football leagues in the world with drafts and salary caps. As a smaller club since 2004 we have batted pretty well with really poor seasons counted on one hand.

Anyway keep supporting your pro or anti teams, the rest of us will just enjoy the ride with more players moving towards a high level of consistency than we have ever had

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

or perhaps neither is true. We may have been searching for the right mix of players and game plan, adjusting on the run.
Still don’t think we are top 4, but we are a lot better than sacking the coach bad

I found Bevo's post-game presser interesting, in particular: "We don't usually play a surge, grubby game. We like to share it and create". Well, we finally beat a contender playing a surge / grubby game (imagine if our goal-kicking was "on song").

I hope we play the same way against the Swans next week.

Most power rankings have us as a clear top 4 team right now. Uneven draw and the losses doesn't mean we should finish top 4, but on form, appear to be a top 4 team.

Two weeks ago most of this board wanted the coach sacked.

I’m sorry but no power ranking would have us too 8 at the moment

People were at pains to say that Bevo maintained a winning record over the entirety of a coaching record and from 2019, that even a feels-bad shitty season won more games than he lost in 2023, and at any given week, in terms of a fairly assessed power rankings that seek to even out goalkicking inaccuracy, home ground advantage effects, strength of team opposition and opposition player injuries, at no any individual round over the last several years were we considered worse than about the 11th best team in the league, ie, we were not multiple weeks consistently outside of just outside finals, which is a pretty good position to bottom out.

All of which is to say far too hand-wringing and overreaction was made to moderately bad performances - and complaining about "deficiencies" which aren't really deficiencies all of the time. We were never really truly that bad, and the natual extension of that is that two excellent performances.

We've had numerous coaches that have barely won a game over several years and the criticism of someone who was winning more than they're losing was completely ridiculous.

In many respects I don't want to run laps around the fact we've played well two weeks in a row, because in a sense, I don't think we've actually played a mile this season. I just think were were never that bad, so a small improvement can launch us into the top 4 of power rankings, even if I agree with everyone else that it's only a small improvement.

Deficiencies that aren’t really deficiencies?

In the past 18 months the only team to give up more runs of 6 goals against are North and West Coast. Now to give up 6 goal runs either you have ordinary players or inexperienced players meaning that structurally you can’t get things right. Clearly North and West Coast fall in that bracket.

We do not have poor and inexperienced players that rank 16th in the comp, so therefore it’s that your structures are not correct to combat and shut down opposition momentum. That’s a coaching issue.

We generally get beat by what we know, whether that be the oppositions intercepting defender or the oppositions midfielder and it’s because we choose not to tag. The choice of locking down or choosing the right player to lock down is again coaching. Prime example: against Fremantle Fyfe dominated us on the inside feeding their runners, solution applied was CD to go to Fyfe post stoppage when we have Harmes in the team who has done a similar job multiple times and in the centre bounces. Again that’s coaching.

Opposition transition from their defensive 50 to their forward 50 has been poor for 18 months and continues to be an issue in which our zone is constantly cut apart whether through chain of hands or through uncontested short kicking we get carved up routinely. Failure to fix that across 18 months or longer goes to coaching.

Add to that the public views on the sub combined with the constantly poor choice of sub and not utilising the sub to its maximum potential is yet again coaching and a coach letting their personal feelings on a rule prevent them utilising it as well as others in the league

But yeah we have no deficiencies and neither does Bevo

I tend to think this one is right. Timing, like most things in life, applies to footy. The timing of the cohesiveness and effectiveness of the list.

With so many players in their infancy, consistency is hard to come by.

The top 4 list narrative is another way of saying genuine flag threat. I don't think we are this year, not when you consider the season and then finals series the young players would have to physically and mentally endure to make it happen. Anything is possible but it seems quite unlikely.

Next year and the year after .. different story...if we develop the younguns well in the interim and also draft/trade well. The window then, as they say, opens.

lets not get carried away,

i like that we have a promising group of under 50 games players, playing some decent football for 2 weeks with some key players out. gives us a chance to improve the list again in the pre-season (a young key back, a small defender, and a mid aged B+/A- mid if possible, Rayner, Worpel)

I think were overrating the GWS team that was fielded yesterday, got them at the right time, as we did Geelong and Essendon. Sydney are a different story, get within 3 goals and ill be very pleased.

i would still have Bevo out tomorrow if i could, its not about his ability to coach, its his fit right now for this group and the club, we need a change.

Two weeks ago, many denied that this list is a potential top-four team. The Bevo supporters can't have it both ways. We are either a potential top-four underperforming list or a mid-ranked list performing at par. Neither is a compelling argument supporting Bevo.
Bevo non supporters can’t have it both ways. If we do well, it’s because we have a top 4 list. If we do poorly, it’s because we have a rubbish coach. No matter the result, there is reason to keep Bevo bashing.

In the past 18 months the only team to give up more runs of 6 goals against are North and West Coast. Now to give up 6 goal runs either you have ordinary players or inexperienced players meaning that structurally you can’t get things right. Clearly North and West Coast fall in that bracket.
But why is this a more important statistic, or a representation of a good team, than the ultimate contribution to wins and losses?
We do not have poor and inexperienced players that rank 16th in the comp, so therefore it’s that your structures are not correct to combat and shut down opposition momentum. That’s a coaching issue.
Inexperience is only a very weak correlation to playing badly.

You're pointing out the rest of our deficiencies in the rest of the post but the net overall result - measured by points for and points against - has us as the second best team this season. I know it's an easy draw, junk time etc. but at the end of the day we've played well this season and have been somewhat unlucky in how the net overall performance across all games has distributed itself within the season. If we had only beaten Richmond by 40 points but won against Hawthorn and Essendon, for example, we would be higher on the ladder but I would argue that we're actually a worse team (given that our more recent performance was actually worse).

If the second best percentage can have deficiencies, contributing to points for and points against, by definition I could point to similar (but worse) deficiencies for 16 other teams, if I knew those teams better. For instance, GWS barely kicked a goal outside of Hogan and Greene, so their forward line outside of those two players is clearly a deficiency. Geelong have the worst stoppage clearance differential in the league - that's clearly a deficiency. Etc. etc. etc.

Last edited:
Deficiencies that aren’t really deficiencies?

We generally get beat by what we know, whether that be the oppositions intercepting defender or the oppositions midfielder and it’s because we choose not to tag. The choice of locking down or choosing the right player to lock down is again coaching. Prime example: against Fremantle Fyfe dominated us on the inside feeding their runners, solution applied was CD to go to Fyfe post stoppage when we have Harmes in the team who has done a similar job multiple times and in the centre bounces. Again that’s coaching.

Opposition transition from their defensive 50 to their forward 50 has been poor for 18 months and continues to be an issue in which our zone is constantly cut apart whether through chain of hands or through uncontested short kicking we get carved up routinely. Failure to fix that across 18 months or longer goes to coaching.

Add to that the public views on the sub combined with the constantly poor choice of sub and not utilising the sub to its maximum potential is yet again coaching and a coach letting their personal feelings on a rule prevent them utilising it as well as others in the league

But yeah we have no deficiencies and neither does Bevo
You need to go back and have a look at the number of games played by the players in our team. We have a lot of young and inexperienced players (particularly leading up to and including the Hawks loss) it’s no surprise to me that we’ve improved since ditching the two inexperienced backs in JoD and Buku together model. Before you say what about Daniel…he’s cooked at the moment and way out of form

Remove this Banner Ad

Back