Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting, I’ve read conflicting reports. The process I have a lot of concerns for. How can you medically retire people, whilst at the same time have rules that allow for legitimate knocks in the head e.g. knee to the head in marking contests. Feels very each-way bet to me.

Take young O’driscoll, if that had have been Harley Reid, do you really think the AFL would have retired him as well so soon?
Which is why I hope the Dogs and Aiden both got independent Doctors to review the case. As opposed to relying on AFL supplied Doctors. It would not be beyond the AFL to pay off Doctors to fudge reviews to make it look worse than it really is, and push a player out of the game to protect their own interests.

6 hit the post and 7 rushed behind skews the figures abit. 8.22 looks horrible but it isn't as bad once it's broken down.
17 to 27 shots on goal.

Most power rankings have us as a clear top 4 team right now. Uneven draw and the losses doesn't mean we should finish top 4, but on form, appear to be a top 4 team.

Two weeks ago most of this board wanted the coach sacked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So top 4 finishes and good recruiting is the sign of a good rebuild? That sounds to me like it's the sign of a good system for sure, but the rebuild starts when the club is initially not having those things, and rebuilds to then have those things, surely.

Our best 22 was turned over between 2016 and 2021 fairly comprehensively, with 60% of the team playing in the 2021 grand final having not played in the 2016 grand final - and us having the 12th youngest list in the 2018 and 2019 seasons.

I'd simply ask which clubs you think in the last 20 years have truly rebuilt without things like AFL assistance or priority picks? Sure, we've had our father sons and NGA academy picks but it'd be grossly unfair to suggest those players at this stage of their careers should have moved the needle for the club.
Which we don't, is it that difficult to understand?
By your definition, a successful rebuild entails going from bottom to top. Under Beveridge, we never reached the top through a "rebuild" and never will.

Who cares if he turned the list over? Anyone can turn a list over. You still can't call him a good rebuilder if he continually fails to sustain consistency. Then he has the gall to suggest the list isn't good enough, the same list he was "rebuilding", and had a lot of say in recruitment.

Go and look at Sydney for a good example of rebuilding. Bottomed out in 2019-2020, got better in 2021, great year 2022, hiccup year in 2023, and now the undisputed flag favourites this season with an excellent young list.

I owe Bevo an apology. I have constantly said he has no plan B when playing, but he showed today that he has other ways to win. What's more, the other plans are ones the team are more than capable of carrying out.

Credit where it's due.

On SM-G990E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Or credit is due when he has a decent list of assistance coaching staff working with him

On CPH2305 using BigFooty.com mobile app

The ironic thing is that we all talk about getting rid of Bevo we might find Bevo walks from the Bulldogs. Could be a list of AFL clubs looking for a new coach at the end of the 2025 season. Saints Brisbane Lions Fremantle Adelaide and even throw in the Demons as a maybe

On CPH2305 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Most power rankings have us as a clear top 4 team right now. Uneven draw and the losses doesn't mean we should finish top 4, but on form, appear to be a top 4 team.

The close losses and terrible draw will come back to bite us in the end. We’d be 5th if we had taken care of the Hawks.

Like a lot of previous seasons, we’ll likely finish in that 7-10 range as we typically do.

Which we don't, is it that difficult to understand?
By your definition, a successful rebuild entails going from bottom to top. Under Beveridge, we never reached the top through a "rebuild" and never will.

Who cares if he turned the list over? Anyone can turn a list over. You still can't call him a good rebuilder if he continually fails to sustain consistency. Then he has the gall to suggest the list isn't good enough, the same list he was "rebuilding", and had a lot of say in recruitment.

Go and look at Sydney for a good example of rebuilding. Bottomed out in 2019-2020, got better in 2021, great year 2022, hiccup year in 2023, and now the undisputed flag favourites this season with an excellent young list.
So I ask for an example of a rebuild without AFL assistance and your only example is a team with the most ridiculous academy access in the league.

Thanks.

Hitting the post 6 time doesn’t skew the results though. It’s a miss. Skill error.

I recall one Jason Akermanis saying he never looked at how many behinds he kicked but rather by how much he missed.

As long as he was just missing he would continue to do what he did as the misses would eventually become goals

Two weeks ago, many denied that this list is a potential top-four team. The Bevo supporters can't have it both ways. We are either a potential top-four underperforming list or a mid-ranked list performing at par. Neither is a compelling argument supporting Bevo.

The last two weeks don’t change my view on Bevo. I don’t really think GWS was a scalp given their soft draw having inflated their ladder position.

With Bevo for me it’s not about the results it’s about our deficiencies which haven’t changed for 3 years.

The only thing that will change my view are an improvement in defending opposition transition, a structure that stops frontal exits from stoppages, selection integrity, limiting opposition players through a tag when they get hot in a game and stopping run ons of goals against.

We beat Brissy in round 3 in a horrible scrap and GWS and Carlton in rounds 7 and 8 before they hit their straps.

Those are your subjective thoughts.

However;
Fact: We held Brisbane to their lowest score of the season.

Fact: Brisbane won their next 7 straight.

Fact: In that run they defeated Collingwood (33), GWS (21) and Carlton (36) [The other 3 Prelim teams], and averaged 112 ppg, with an average winning margin of 42.

Will we look back at last night's win as "a horrible scrap"?
(Guess it'll depend on what narrative is being pushed, right?)

Inconsistent? Potentially.
Miles off it? All evidence suggests that is simply not true.

Two weeks ago, many denied that this list is a potential top-four team. The Bevo supporters can't have it both ways. We are either a potential top-four underperforming list or a mid-ranked list performing at par. Neither is a compelling argument supporting Bevo.
Alternatively it's a very even competition, and we are trying new things and new players (which people wanted) - but with that will come some inconsistency. I'm happy to stay on the fence at this stage, some concerns, but also some positive signs.

Or maybe we have a bad list that a good coach might take to finals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back