Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Has any club sacked a coach mid season and gone to appoint their next full time coach straight away? Its always an interim coach to finish the year yeah? I am just trying to get my head around why people are saying be ballsy and get Bucks.
That stress ball squeezing guy at GWS. Only one I can think of.

Although I guess he was interim until he became a genius before season's end. Ironically, his genius may have been postponed had we not lost to West Coast.

TL/DR. Bailey Smith's lack of effort against WC (and Pies and GWS) cost Bont a Brownlow and us finals.

Last edited:
Has any club sacked a coach mid season and gone to appoint their next full time coach straight away? Its always an interim coach to finish the year yeah? I am just trying to get my head around why people are saying be ballsy and get Bucks.
Lol.
Didn't our club appoint Wallace

Bev will be coach to close to the end of the year if not all year.

We clearly have a developing list and the question is not whether Bev has a team that is underperforming but whether he is the leader to develop a consistently strong team.

Our current team is mid table at best, nothing to do with the coach.

Bev has never been able to string 3 good years together so on evidence I am not sure he is the right person to be building our list for the 3rd time in 10 seasons

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

That stress ball squeezing guy at GWS. Only one I can think of.

Although I guess he was interim until he became a genius before season's end. Ironically, his genius may have been postponed had we not lost to West Coast.

TL/DR. Bailey Smith's lack of effort against WC (and Pies and GWS) cost Bont a Brownlow and us finals.

Mark McVeigh was interim after Cameron resigned in 2022.

Kingsley took over at the start of 2023. He beat Yze for the job from memory. Kingsley was at Richmond in 2022

We clearly have a developing list and the question is not whether Bev has a team that is underperforming but whether he is the leader to develop a consistently strong team.

Bev has never been able to string 3 good years together so on evidence I am not sure he is the right person to be building our list for the 3rd time in 10 seasons

He is the right man
People have said this list is a list of generations, they are fantasising..
The fans are whats wrong with our club, not the coaches, not the admin.
Generational players is a myth. We are solid, that's it.

Personally I'd like to wait until the latter half of the season before deciding on Bevo future.

I still think there's some growth in some of the fringe players that we may see before the end of the season and perhaps being a threat.

If internally, there bigger problems than have come out id be comfortable with that decision being made sooner.

Some consistency and on field leadership from some of our other senior players would be a welcome addition too.

One thing I really bemoan under Bevo's tenure is that we appear to be coached really stringently on playing fair and within the rules. I'd like to see a bit more mongrel and professional frees.

One in particular that sticks out is stopping that slingshot turnover carry from our front half. Other teams tend to put a heavy block or bowl over the runner, which sometimes ends in a free but slows the play. We just seem to put an arm across or tackle upon receipt which often turns out ineffectual.

Then I think of how it benefitted us in 2016 and I'm not so sure I should be complaining.

If we do move on from Bevo at seasons end id like to see a more defensively mind coach like Bucks, I dont think these offensive game plans will work forever and I'd be interested to see if we can be at the forefront utilising the strong KPPs we have developing to have another solid tilt.

I think this is right. I'm not demanding or expecting he be shown the door so early in the season. However I think he is now past his use-by date. (Note: I often eat stuff from my pantry that's past its use-by date - it sustains me but it isn't as exciting or nutritious as it was when it was fresh. And it occasionally gives me the sh-ts).

An important consideration will be whether he has begun to lose or alienate any of our key players in the way BMac did. At the moment there's nothing to say he has, although there have been one or two murmurs, possibly just speculation. However the club needs to stay switched on to this possibility. If it became clear that good players would leave if Bevo stays in 2025 we should bring forward the announcement that this will be Bevo's last year, even if he is to stay in the coach's chair until the end of the season.

It would head off a potential exodus. We could manage an orderly farewell and departure. It would give us the opportunity to be searching for a new coach without having to keep it secret, hoping to avoid the distracting media speculation that surrounds an embattled coach. It would also enable us to start that search before any other club joins the coach hunt, hopefully giving us #1 pick in the coaching draft.

I realise the club may play it differently. His contract is until 2025 after all, and he has at least one or two staunch supporters on the board. If that happened I'd be disappointed but I wouldn't burn Whitten Oval down.

Instead I'd continue to be the optimist. I'd be hoping Bevo could manufacture another 2016 miracle.

+1 This
Unless we see a string of like 10 bad losses in a row, Bev will see the year out. Beyond that tho, I highly doubt we go into 25' with Bevo at the helm

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some people saying we wouldn’t be able to get Buckley, I hear he could do with some money? Tania has cleaned him out.
I have zero idea why Anyone would want Buckley anywhere near this team.
Same with Cameron.

Brand new coach please.

In my entire life, we have played in 2 GFs, both coached by Bev.
But still our fans sook it up, our crying culture is the problem
Lets resign him to 2045 if that is the pass mark?
Most of the fan base accepting this mediocre rubbish is a bigger problem, how many clubs have had to rebuild twice after making a grand final 2 years prior?

I am taking Bevos words to mean we are doing a full rebuild and as such lowering my expectations to maybe winning 40% of games.

That’s fine as long as I see some green shoots with our youth and some further changes to team structure.

Has any club sacked a coach mid season and gone to appoint their next full time coach straight away (externally)? Its always an interim coach to finish the year yeah? I am just trying to get my head around why people are saying be ballsy and get Bucks.
Will never happen.

Sometimes the new coach is interviews and appointed before the season but they never take over midseason.

I remember when we sacked Rhode (who continued to coach) and we appointed Rocket a few weeks out. Rocket attended a late a season game as a spectator but not in any official capacity.

If we move on from Bevo someone like Lade will take over. Don’t be surprised if it’s actually Spangher or someone like that because caretaker can be a poisoned chalice - anyone who wants a top job would be wary.

In my entire life, we have played in 2 GFs, both coached by Bev.
But still our fans sook it up, our crying culture is the problem
My view is that none of Bevo, Simpson, Hardwick or Clarkson have suddenly become mediocre coaches. They just aren’t in control of great sides.

Anyone who still thinks our list is an uncut gem is delusional. There is talent on the list but former guns are not as good and there are some very average players getting a game.

I think if you got another very well credentialed coach in charge you’d get the usual dead cat bounce but a quick return to what is going on now. I also think a coach doing things a bit more ‘conventionally’ might not get better results and we might actually get worse.

All that is a separate question to whether Bevo should stay. I think peoples’ memories are a bit short - I still remember what it felt like to believe I might not see us in a grand final. Doing it twice after generations of falling at the last hurdle is not a small thing and not a fluke.

The club should know what is actually going on. I think we’ve made some bad list decisions, there’s been friction in the footy department etc. On the outside you know 10% of what happens inside. It’s plausible that Bev is doing a good job and there are things outside his control. It’s also possible he’s lost the plot or players hate him. We’re all guessing because we aren’t in there.

I do worry the wrong people are in charge of the decision. We’ll see though.

The difference in the teams that are well coached versus the ones that aren't is stark. We are so poor defensively, it's almost as if Bevo doesn't rate defence. A new football structure from top to bottom is needed. However, the club doesn't have the steel to do it. It's too sentimental and has a small club mentality.

I am taking Bevos words to mean we are doing a full rebuild and as such lowering my expectations to maybe winning 40% of games.

That’s fine as long as I see some green shoots with our youth and some further changes to team structure.

That is fine as long as we get an explanation about the boards narrative and his narrative no long ago and why the change and what the board narrative is now 29th April

Remove this Banner Ad

Back