Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Bevo continues to motivate the team to get up once in a while to extend his tenure. We've been a mid range side at best since 2016, bar a decent 3 weeks in 2021. Just * him off already. :sleeping:

Too harsh on 2021. We were one of the best two sides for 19 weeks. Only had three bad weeks because we don't want to finish top 4 under Bevo or have Bont win a Brownlow.

But yeah its the same old story in 2020, 2022, 2023 and now looking like 2024. Look a million bucks when the game is on our terms but look drab and stale when we have to fight. Biggest issue is still that our role players don't have roles. Too reliant on our best players to dominate and can't win when they don't.

This is about our level for this season, a lot of huffing and puffing but we ain’t getting our hands on the prize .

I don’t know if a change of coach with do anything. I’m just bored of watching this .

Of course it would.

A decent chunk of the problems are due to infantile defensive tactics, inappropriate team selection and consistently poor forward line coaching. There might be issues with our players and list in general, but ffs let’s not absolve the ******* coach of responsibility for things that are the coach’s responsibility.

Bevo continues to motivate the team to get up once in a while to extend his tenure. We've been a mid range side at best since 2016, bar a decent 3 weeks in 2021. Just * him off already. :sleeping:
It's unlikely he'll be leaving before the end of the season. The team is average as a whole and it's unlikely they'll change things around to be a threat in finals.

Too harsh on 2021. We were one of the best two sides for 19 weeks. Only had three bad weeks because we don't want to finish top 4 under Bevo or have Bont win a Brownlow.

But yeah its the same old story in 2020, 2022, 2023 and now looking like 2024. Look a million bucks when the game is on our terms but look drab and stale when we have to fight. Biggest issue is still that our role players don't have roles. Too reliant on our best players to dominate and can't win when they don't.
Harsh on 2021 perhaps by a matter of weeks, that's it. Otherwise we've been nothing but a middling side at best for 8 seasons. It's unacceptable.

We have some soft kills the next two weeks in Hawthorn and Richmond, where we'll look like a million bucks again and the optimism will flow back in. Then a month of GWS (A), Sydney (H), Collingwood and Brisbane (H), which will determine if we are mid table or lower table.

I don't think the fixture could've broken for us much better again this season. The Geelong game and the game tonight were so winnable but we didn't get it done.

What if the next bloke we bring in as coach fails to make us better than a mid range team? :screamcat:

Tread tread tread

Then so ******* what! The aim is to build a premiership team, right?

Bevo literally invoked the Einstein “if you continue to do the same thing and expect a different result” argument and yet he should stay?

We need a flag team. However it happens.

Meh. It's very apparent that this club has no actual aspirations beyond maybe finishing 8th or 9th. The end of last season was so terrible required more severe actions than what took place. And here we are yet again - unable to do anything other than beat s**t teams. We couldn't even be called fraudulent because it's the third straight year of us essentially being flat track bullies.

It's pretty obvious that Bevo isn't going to be coaching here in 2025. That would require success which is very nearly off the table considering our fixture. It's making for a very drawn out, painful death by thousand losses to top 8 sides.

Out of respect for 2016 they should pick an easy game and let him go out with a win, then start to move on.

Our draw from here is : Hawks, Tigers, Giants, Sydney, Collingwood, Brisbane, Freo, North, Port, Carlton, Geelong, Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, North, Giants.

Bolded are likely wins, Italic 50-50, others we probably start as outsiders. That would leave us at 7-15 or 9-13 (depending on the Italic game).

We probably pop up for an extra win or two in there but can anyone see us making the 8 here?

Last edited:
Our draw from here is : Tigers, North, Giants, Sydney, Collingwood, Brisbane, Freo, North, Port, Carlton, Geelong, Sydney, Melbourne.

Bolded are likely wins, Italic 50-50, others we probably start as outsiders. That would leave us at 6-13 or 7-12 (depending on the Italic game).

We probably pop up for an extra win or two in there but can anyone see us making the 8 here?
No - this was always the easiest part of our draw and we needed to bank wins and cause an upset against the Dees or Cats.

We have double up games against all 4 top teams and only 1 double up against bottom 4 teams. Horrible fixture.

Our draw from here is : Tigers, North, Giants, Sydney, Collingwood, Brisbane, Freo, North, Port, Carlton, Geelong, Sydney, Melbourne.

Bolded are likely wins, Italic 50-50, others we probably start as outsiders. That would leave us at 6-13 or 7-12 (depending on the Italic game).

Nah, we needed to win this and probably have the luck go our way against the Cats.

You’re missing the Hawks game next week. As it stands, I would have that one as 50/50. I can see us maybe getting to 8-8 but then losing those last four and our fate being sealed.

Nah, we needed to win this and probably have the luck go our way against the Cats.

You’re missing the Hawks game next week. As it stands, I would have that one as 50/50. I can see us maybe getting to 8-8 but then losing those last four and our fate being sealed.
Yeah has Norf and Horf mixed up. Should win but even if we do it means little. We'd need to win several against teams which currently look significantly better than us just to scrape in, let alone compete.

Season is cooked, so is the coach. Now is the time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No - this was always the easiest part of our draw and we needed to bank wins and cause an upset against the Dees or Cats.

We have double up games against all 4 top teams and only 1 double up against bottom 4 teams. Horrible fixture.

It’s a horrible fixture if we’re not a good team. A genuine flag threat would be 6-1 and looking forward to the next two months but unfortunately we’re not that team.

Yeah has Norf and Horf mixed up. Should win but even if we do it means little. We'd need to win several against teams which currently look significantly better than us just to scrape in, let alone compete.

Season is cooked, so is the coach. Now is the time.
Dogs also need a positive win-loss record against top 8 sides to be any convincing chance in finals.

Were the club to move on Beveridge, I wouldn't mind seeing Edge have a crack. The Footscray players play for him, and he gets the most out of an ever changing side. Other than that, I'd throw the line out to Cameron, Hansen, and King.

On SM-G990E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Our draw from here is : Hawks, Tigers, Giants, Sydney, Collingwood, Brisbane, Freo, North, Port, Carlton, Geelong, Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, North, Giants.

Bolded are likely wins, Italic 50-50, others we probably start as outsiders. That would leave us at 7-15 or 9-13 (depending on the Italic game).

9-13 feels right. We'll lose one or two we should have won and win one or two we should have lost.

I don't think Bevo gets sacked for a 9-13 season. It's mediocre but good enough for everyone to keep their jobs. I don't think he'll get extended beyond 2025 though unless we had a miraculous turnaround next year.

As supporters it's frustrating to be mid-table and horrible to watch, but those running the club are very risk averse, and if they feel that the coach is 'good enough', then they won't risk replacing him with someone who could be even worse. There's no incentive for KWW or Ameet to take a big risk for the chance at glory - they don't get a big bonus if we win a flag, but they might lose their positions if we become a bottom 4 side. Better for them to maintain the status quo and keep those comfy positions as long as possible.

What if the next bloke we bring in as coach fails to make us better than a mid range team? :screamcat:

Tread tread tread

I think we all want a bit of hope. We all want an end to the dumb selection policy, the playing of a group of coach's pet VFL standard project players year after year, the deer in the headlights in game day strategy, the wasting of the best years of Bontempelli, the 'why do we make things look so difficult?'.

It doesn't have to be this hard, it shouldn't be this hard, but we make it this hard. We need a change, like the coach said about the definition of insanity...

But who am I kidding? Those in power are so risk averse things will just drift and drift and one day we'll wake up and Bont will be retired.

Criminal.

Last edited:
I’m just sceptical, I don’t see how changing the coach will change the ability of our players. Maybe they are just not very good. Look at North, they went through a string of coaches then obtained the most decorated coach ever and the team is just the same as it ever was.

Were the club to move on Beveridge, I wouldn't mind seeing Edge have a crack. The Footscray players play for him, and he gets the most out of an ever changing side. Other than that, I'd throw the line out to Cameron, Hansen, and King.

On SM-G990E using BigFooty.com mobile app
One thing stands out to me watching Footscray over the past couple of seasons is that they play a different type of game to our AFL team. They exert more pressure around stoppages and their transitions both ways generally work very well. As an observer, I can understand what the team is trying to do, I think I get their 'brand'. Not so for our AFL team. It all looks so messy too often.
If Stuart Edge was in charge of the team would it be any better? I really don't know, but if we did get to the stage when we are looking for a new coach, I'd be very comfortable considering him as a candidate.

I’m just sceptical, I don’t see how changing the coach will change the ability of our players. Maybe they are just not very good. Look at North, they went through a string of coaches then obtained the most decorated coach ever and the team is just the same as it ever was.
If this were true coaches wouldn’t exist and the best players would simply win every year. If you don’t see how good coaching can get the best out of players and a team I don’t know what to tell you

As Bevo has said we are going through evolution, the first step is getting rid of him.
I don’t think changing the coach will save us and put us back into premiership contention but we desperately need fresh ideas and voices.
Bevo apart from the first 2 years has been tactically poor for most of the tenure and his main strength of motivating the group is clearly starting to wear thin.
We are such a soft football club, when the going gets tough we absolutely fold and roll over which is a disgrace considering some of the guys in the past we have had who put it all on the line for the jumper.
As someone highlighted above I think it’s a mixture of poor list management/balance, coaching and administration.
Geez that first rounder this year would be handy.

We once had a coach who had bad tactical skills but could motivate a team to play hard aggressive, selfless football.

We still have that same tactically weak coach, but now he seems to not be able to motivate the group at all.

2016 feels like it was 20 years ago now.

We had proper leaders in Dale Morris, Matthew Boyd, Easton Wood, Bob Murphy even Jordan Roughead and Clay Smith.

Look to today’s team? Who are the leaders ? A burnt out Bontempelli, Libba and maybe Liam Jones.

That’s it. Everyone else just look like passengers. Nearly all of our players seem like non-leadership types.

Big failure of Bevvo not to develop more leaders. Josh Dunkley would’ve been one.
Wouldn’t Lipinski have been a handy name in the midfield rotations.

We don’t have a brand anymore. We’re so mediocre.

GWS was mediocre 2 seasons ago. They only changed 1 thing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back