Review Freo Overrun Against the Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

I've ECO'd for finals so now I can just watch for individuals.

I know he missed a few but the vast majority of Henry's work is now good. This is exciting. If he starts hitting all those corridor kicks he'll probably start getting tagged.

I also don't mind throwing the young players in the fire when there is something on the line. Sucks they didn't get it done but great experience for them.

No matter how much stoppage we lose, we almost always win contests down back. He's not talking about our backs. He says backs when he's talking backs. When he talks not being tough enough or winning the contest, he's talking stoppages.

We can't win games when we don't significantly win clearances. We have zero answer to that.

Agree to disagree. This is semantic pedantry at it's glorious best.

Yep. Backs were murdered because the mids weren't doing their job. Certainly alot to like about the midfield, they just got beaten by a better midfield unit.

A quick note on Henry - His turnovers were a bit of a killer at times but they appear to ke to be very different from the Acres turnovers. He isn't just roosting the ball high and long to a contest for metres gained. He is trying to get a release kick into the corridor to open up our attacking options.

It kind of reminded me of Hayden Young in his first 20ish games when he tended to bite off more than he could chew with his kick.

Seemed quite promising.

I think we overachieved last year given our demographics and I think the majority of our current issues relate to inexperience, especially after the mini upheaval of the list last year.

I think people underappreciate how young we are and how poorly teams as young as us usually perform. We're second only to Hawthorn in inexperience most weeks. Everyone expected Hawthorn to be a spoon contender yet expected us to be a top 4 challenger. I think that speaks volumes for how talented our young team is, even if it creates unrealistic pressure in the here and now.

I also think people underrate how much having a hardened, experienced team matters in the AFL. Especially for one who has to travel ever second week.

I think we will easily be top 6 next year, if not top 4. Feel free to @ me if I'm wrong.

Agree and FYI you speak incredibly well.

Do we though?
We are at least one high quality forward short and probably 2 after Walters goes in the next couple of years.
We don’t have the forwards on the list right now to win a flag. You are literally relying on Amiss to kick nearly 100 goals a season (completely unfeasible) as the likes of Schultz, Switta, Treacy, Frederick, jackson, Sturt, Banfield - none of these players can kick more than 30 goals a year. Most of them won’t even kick 15 or 20. Fyfe is not a forward either.
We have no mids with a natural eye for goal.
Against the top sides, it’s just so easy to keep freo to 10 goals a game and that won’t win too much.
Have to agree.

We didn't do enough Good stuff for long enough. There was a lot of the game where we were very good. We had some great contributors. But weren't ruthless enough when we needed to be. The Lobb free and goal was bulldust but that happens. Erasmus giving away x2 frees in a row was a learning moment if ever there was one. We just need to get bigger and stronger.

Yep I'm OK, just apologising for my original comments cos Fyfie has been terrific since he came back, similar to Brownlow form, hope we got him signed up for another two or three (at least). I thought he was outstanding today (again). Can play on until forty I think.
Fyfe isn't producing what we need from him and is probably being carried on reputation at this point. I don't see him improving, particularly with another injury and the fact we can't find a role for him that allows for his slowness. Even if he comes back with a strong preseason I see him as depth only. I freely admit all of that.

But let's be real. He's coming to the end of a long, injury-filled career that saw him used as a proverbial human battering ram. If you think the handful of games he's played in the last couple seasons in any way "tarnishes" what has been an otherwise incredible career then yes, you're a flog. He's a legend no matter what he does from here.

Absolutely lost in the box today.

Treacy in the ruck when Darcy & Jackson were both available is unforgivable. Can probably cop one, maybe 2 at a stretch.

But to leave him in there after 2 consecutive centre square losses - that’s a painfully bad mistake from the head coach.

Really, really costly and poor effort from the box.

Serong is a gun, a workhorse.

The clearance list has Serong on top then...
Five dogs players, basically their entire midfield.

...Then Matt Johnson.

That's where we lost the game. Fyfe wasn't able to win clearances as much as we would like, he ended on the same total as Erasmus..

We have to stop deluding ourselves that Andrew Brayshaw is a centre square mid.

He’s a sheepdog winger, and that’s ok.

Let him run to creat an outlet, let him chase down the oppo.

Don’t ask him to be an inside beast, he’s not. And it kills us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely lost in the box today.

Treacy in the ruck when Darcy & Jackson were both available is unforgivable. Can probably cop one, maybe 2 at a stretch.

But to leave him in there after 2 consecutive centre square losses - that’s a painfully bad mistake from the head coach.

Really, really costly and poor effort from the box.
Think this is probably the only time I'll ever agree with you.

I think we overachieved last year given our demographics and I think the majority of our current issues relate to inexperience, especially after the mini upheaval of the list last year.

I think people underappreciate how young we are and how poorly teams as young as us usually perform. We're second only to Hawthorn in inexperience most weeks. Everyone expected Hawthorn to be a spoon contender yet expected us to be a top 4 challenger. I think that speaks volumes for how talented our young team is, even if it creates unrealistic pressure in the here and now.

I also think people underrate how much having a hardened, experienced team matters in the AFL. Especially for one who has to travel ever second week.

I think we will easily be top 6 next year, if not top 4. Feel free to @ me if I'm wrong.
You couldn’t be more right.

I've ECO'd for finals so now I can just watch for individuals.

I know he missed a few but the vast majority of Henry's work is now good. This is exciting. If he starts hitting all those corridor kicks he'll probably start getting tagged.

I also don't mind throwing the young players in the fire when there is something on the line. Sucks they didn't get it done but great experience for them.
Reckon I'll be there in another couple weeks. We'll probably smash Carlton and I'll get that familiar false hope before it's snuffed out for good the week after.

Think this is probably the only time I'll ever agree with you.
Well said
After Darcy put us on front the next Center bounce was crucial. Bulldogs put all their midfielders guns o. The middle. We sent Darcy to the bench and used an undersized Treacy
Bulldogs score and we double down with an undersized Treacy and 2 19yo’s with about 20 games experience between them

That is the midfield coaches call

Few comments after reading the whole thread so far

Agree with the poster above - brayshaw shouldn’t be in centre bounce, I think he’s a hard working linking mid - hopefully over time the youth replace him

Also we have lost a lot of experience from last year, Lobb acres Taberner Logue Mundy is 1/4 of a team replaced by Omeara, kids and a misfiring fyfe.

This is a different team and will end up better than last years team

Well said
After Darcy put us on front the next Center bounce was crucial. Bulldogs put all their midfielders guns o. The middle. We sent Darcy to the bench and used an undersized Treacy
Bulldogs score and we double down with an undersized Treacy and 2 19yo’s with about 20 games experience between them

That is the midfield coaches call
To take that Mark inside 50 , Darcy had to cover alot of ground and outrun english. Guess after kicking that goal they probably thought best give him bit of a rest before coming back for the run home

To take that Mark inside 50 , Darcy had to cover alot of ground and outrun english. Guess after kicking that goal they probably thought best give him bit of a rest before coming back for the run home
But that doesn't explain why they elected to go with JT in the ruck over Jackson. Who was only used in 2 centre bounces btw. That should never happen.

For those saying we are too inexperienced at what point can we expect sustained success? Next season? the one after? 2026? Im afraid we will lose walters and fyfe by then and it will be another excuse trotted out by the club.
I get the travel is a biggy for the young guys but Im just bloody frustrated.

No problem - if he needs a chop out.

Play the next ruckman, Luke ****ing Jackson, instead of parking him in the square.

Seriously one of the most baffling coaching decisions Ive seen for a long, long time.

No problem - if he needs a chop out.

Play the next ruckman, Luke ******* Jackson, instead of parking him in the square.

Seriously one of the most baffling coaching decisions Ive seen for a long, long time.
Well maybe because Treacy played ruck in the bombers game and did okay, so they thought keep Jackson in the fwd line. Hindsight.....is.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back