Review Rd 9: Freo keep rolling against the Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Really hope right now the fact that the team is full of confidence means we can get back on track, even if it has been against less than impressive teams. Our whole first month was against crap teams but we still looked far from where we are now. Even this win should've easily been 40 points without our end of quarter fade outs. We were up 30 with 2mins left in the third and let them kick two, and were up 30 with like a minute left in the game and let them kick two quick. Score definitely flattered them, but those fadeouts could prove costly. If the players are getting tired/thinking the siren will go soon just play kick mark and hold possession.

too good to be true disney GIF
Is that a unicorn?

I know...horn envy!

Was Scarlet commentating? I thought one of them sounded like Lee Montange and was very good.

Scarlett very much was not commentating. The bloke doesn't do media.

Really hope right now the fact that the team is full of confidence means we can get back on track, even if it has been against less than impressive teams. Our whole first month was against crap teams but we still looked far from where we are now. Even this win should've easily been 40 points without our end of quarter fade outs. We were up 30 with 2mins left in the third and let them kick two, and were up 30 with like a minute left in the game and let them kick two quick. Score definitely flattered them, but those fadeouts could prove costly. If the players are getting tired/thinking the siren will go soon just play kick mark and hold possession.
Red time goals we give up has been a worry for a long time.

Was Scarlet commentating? I thought one of them sounded like Lee Montange and was very good.
Montagna I think.And calling from the luxury of the Melbourne studios of FOX Sports.
Dermis also did the comments on the game after.
Rupe again saving on travel.Worrying about his billions he could get against him.

Sad if this is true....

You don't usually shed a tear for a player at the end of their career unless it's a club legend or player that at least work hard and busted his a** to help the club.

When Taberner retires, I will miss him. I think he is contracted until 2024 anyway. Even then, Tabs body isn't great.

There are other guys that want to play in his spot in Jackson, Tracy and Amiss.

Jono Griffin wasn't an all time great ruckman. But he at least tried his guts out. So when he retired in 2017, you knew younger rucks like Sean Darcy would fill his spot.

Then you got guys like Nick Suban, Clancee Pearce and Matt De Boer all being cut at the end of 2016. All 3 were from the 2008 draft. All 3 served 8 seasons.

None of them were picked up as free agents. I would of kept one of them as depth for another season.

Taberner's a lock for next season assuming his injury is treatable. Even if the team would prefer Treacy (which I doubt), there's no way you get rid of the only other key forward on your list.

But his back injury has been ongoing for 2-3 years now, if the surgery doesn't fix it then he is probably done.

Taberner's a lock for next season assuming his injury is treatable. Even if the team would prefer Treacy (which I doubt), there's no way you get rid of the only other key forward on your list.

But his back injury has been ongoing for 2-3 years now, if the surgery doesn't fix it then he is probably done.

Yeah I don’t know. Treacy played the role pretty well yesterday & he’s got a much better football brain than Tabs. Better field kick, booming set shot & he’s basically the incumbent now. I think he arrived yesterday.
It’s always been on show in the WAFL but he was mentally challenged by the step up in level. Early days but he showed enough to say he belongs.

Very true. It’s a long Freo tradition though to give up very late goals in quarters!😜

A niggling concern is amiss set shot routine. He is starting to spray the ball out to the left a lot now. I don’t really trust him yet to nail those kickable set shots from 30m out so he’s got improving too so there. But the rest of his game is excellent

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I don’t know. Treacy played the role pretty well yesterday & he’s got a much better football brain than Tabs. Better field kick, booming set shot & he’s basically the incumbent now. I think he arrived yesterday.
It’s always been on show in the WAFL but he was mentally challenged by the step up in level. Early days but he showed enough to say he belongs.

Sure but he's got to be able to reproduce it. He's played 21 games and that was his first good one. There's a good chance he'll be better than Taberner eventually, the question is will it be by next season?

Sure but he's got to be able to reproduce it. He's played 21 games and that was his first good one. There's a good chance he'll be better than Taberner eventually, the question is will it be by next season?
Let’s give him the rest of the season to figure it out. Premiership is clearly off the table this year, but if we continue to pump games into Treacy and he improves, we got a very handy side in 2024

It is not going to be a case of is he better or not. If the forward line functions a lot better with Treacy than Tabs then Treacy has to be there next season instead of Tabs.

Watched the replay this morning.

Those run down tackles by Schulz and Brayshaw turned the tide. Absolutely brilliant as Sydney love to run through the middle of that midget ground. They're confidence was shot.

7 goals from the smalls and 7 from the talks, what more could you want?

Such a shit ground. 50m and you’ve gone from the back half to having a shot.

Such a s**t ground. 50m and you’ve gone from the back half to having a shot.
Same for both teams...I like the variety.

SCG same as the Gabba...
ten metres shorter than Perth,
With Mcg and Docklands midway between them.

Kardinya is the longest, smallest in area and the narrowest. All by a lot!

Last edited:
Let’s give him the rest of the season to figure it out. Premiership is clearly off the table this year, but if we continue to pump games into Treacy and he improves, we got a very handy side in 2024
Why is a premiership off the table?
Sure we need to make finals first, but winners THINK they can win it from seemingly hopeless positions & sometimes get there.
For mine, I want our goal 2 always be 2 win every game (of course it already is), but the obvious next step is to win the flag.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Same for both teams...I like the variety.

SCG same as the Gabba...
ten metres shorter than Perth,
With Mcg and Docklands midway between them.

Kardinya is the longest, smallest in area and the narrowest. All by a lot!
I also like the variety, it's part of football!

Thought there were a lot of positives out of the game, most of them already mentioned.
Dangerous thing to do, but one thing I haven't seen called out which has been very good over the past few games is Jackson's set shots.
Which was good because they deserted Amiss in this one.

We'll need at least 3 wins out of the next 5 to stay in touch which is quite a challenge.
Hope they're pushing it hard internally though, hard to see finals from here but it's a good chance to dig in and have a real crack.

Annddd you are forgetting the most important part! Thank you JLo for keeping Treacy in the side and backing him to build on his performance. Normally JLo is conservative with selection so good to see from him.

Seriously, ask him if he knows what a flat punt is and how to kick it. Its what Doug Wade and Peter Hudson kicked and they never missed. It's literally a dying skill.

what he did say, is he doesn't recognise the game today

a cross between all over red rover and rugby. sadly I tend to agree.

I feel the custodians of the game have changed the rules resulting in a less enjoyable spectacle of high pressure around the ball, forcing a turn over and then chipping to an uncontested position.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back