Toast Fremantle's 1st Rookie Pick: Matthew Uebergang

Remove this Banner Ad

So I downloaded LOL. I've learnt new terms like jungling and laning. I've played a variety of roles but....

This gaming platform was invented long ago. Warcraft 3 has customizable maps and a few clever souls made a couple of maps with the same gameplay as LOL. I'm sure Warcraft 3 weren't the first either.

Back in the day when people would pay to LAN, you could find a few of these maps at different places around Perth. Counter strike followed by some Warcraft 3 PVP, then a few games of hero only maps (like LOL) was fairly stock standard for a teenager in the late 90's early 2000's.

The only difference between this old school platform and LOL is runes. There were items that you could buy from stores in the map, there were about 20 heroes. You could melee, range or support. Jungling wasn't called jungling. It was called creeping. Jungling is a much much better name.

I'm in my early 30's. Probably too old to be trying a new game. My wife was less than impressed by my 5 hours of game play the last 2 days. But overall I'm dissapointed in the game. No single player campaign to teach you the ropes. Only 1 map to start, wih only 2(?) for the whole game.

The hero variety is superior, and yes it's free. But it feels like it's 10 years too late.

Play Blizzards version called "Heroes of the Storm". It takes you through everything and explains the different controls. There are a heap of heroes but you have to unlock them with in game gold or you can purchase them. There are about 8 maps now I think, and they are all unique with a different objective and a tactical play style.

Also I'm in my early 30's and I still play computer games although with my 1st born just around the corner I have a feeling that this will change. Hahaha

PS. That game you were referring to was called DOTA. The 1st one was a Warcraft 3 mod and it was around for a very long time. The developers made a new one called DOTA 2 (How original I know) and it's not bad. Not as good as a few of the other offerings in my opinion but not bad.

Last edited:
So at the moment, the Wobbegamer's just another character in a game.

Will he have enough credits this pre-season to be his own protagonist in a game like Mario did after conquering Donkey Kong or will be consigned to Luigi status?

In other words, will he do enough to beat Bowser to claim Peach?

Play Blizzards version called "Heroes of the Storm". It takes you through everything and explains the different controls. There are a heap of heroes but you have to unlock them with in game gold or you can purchase them. There are about 8 maps now I think, and they are all unique with a different objective and a tactical play style.

Also I'm in my early 30's and I still play computer games although with my 1st born just around the corner I have a feeling that this will change. Hahaha

Definitely will disappear, only nap time is free time. I got my 2nd on the way.

I understand it's gonna get a lot of negative feedback and just generally panties in knots etc, but the time of the static turn-based combat system just doesn't stand the test of time, it'd just hold the overall progress and development of the game back IMO. I like that it's going to be real-time based and look forward to the challenge of learning the game all over again. :)

I loved the Final Fantasy series as a youngster, but hardly play any games now. Although, Witcher 3 has been awesome. The only other game I have played properly over the last few years was Skyrim.

I loved the Final Fantasy series as a youngster, but hardly play any games now. Although, Witcher 3 has been awesome.
Yeah same. I drifted away from the last few, I got bored of 9, never played 10 or 11, finished 12 and haven't played any since.

Witcher 3 was great, but the amount of bugs in that game and the massive patch updates to fix them is a pain in the arse and a real drawback. :mad:
having played games years ago, dropped off and then recently got back into it a little bit i'm pretty surprised how much things have changed - in that developers and platforms alike are fine with the notion of releasing games that clearly aren't finished.. And are then just content to fix up the biggest issues are they are identified.

I loved the Final Fantasy series as a youngster, but hardly play any games now. Although, Witcher 3 has been awesome. The only other game I have played properly over the last few years was Skyrim.

Loved the Witcher 2 but I was really quite terrible at it. I had to buy a controller and use that instead and I improved marginally.

I'm a bit of a blizzard fanboi and have played a lot of diablo 3, starcraft, heroes of the storm and hearthstone. I used to play world of warcraft but my missus put an end to that. She hated that game with a passion hahaha

Yeah same. I drifted away from the last few, I got bored of 9, never played 10 or 11, finished 12 and haven't played any since.

Witcher 3 was great, but the amount of bugs in that game and the massive patch updates to fix them is a pain in the arse and a real drawback. :mad:
having played games years ago, dropped off and then recently got back into it a little bit i'm pretty surprised how much things have changed - in that developers and platforms alike are fine with the notion of releasing games that clearly aren't finished.. And are then just content to fix up the biggest issues are they are identified.

Yep and the fantastic freemium, pay to win games that are out now are truly awful.

I will have to ask the grandkids what the hell you lot are on about.o_O

Zerg - a large group of angry farmers with pitchforks overrunning the town mayor; the landing at Anzac Cove;
PvE - when you're off exploring the countryside on a lovely hike
PvP - when you're off exploring the countryside on a lovely hike, and a german backpacker coming the other way wants to start a fight
Gank - when that huge bikie standing at the bar king hits an innocent patron
Managing aggro - when you talk to that huge bikie enough to have his undivided attention, but not enough that he ganks you (see above)
DPS - how quickly you can take that bikie down in a fight
Tanking - you are that huge bikie
Camping - when you play hide and seek with the kids, find a devious spot they will NEVER find you in, and wait for the kill; OR when you set up a tent and campfire next to the pig you just shot, in case its friends drop by.
AoE - when you drop your guts and there's a zone around you that suffers
Turn Based - when you play chess, each person waits for the other to make their move
Level Up - when you get that promotion at work
Powerlevelling - when you get your kid a tutor outside of school to improve their learning
Buffed - how you feel after a few beers
Nerfed - your love life once you get married

Games in a nutshell -

Diablo - you're a hero stopping an ancient demon from destroying the world
Skyrim - you're a hero stopping an ancient dragon from destroying the world
ESO - you're a hero stopping an ancient demon from destroying the world (while surrounded by friends)

Last edited:
We'd zerg you ;)

Most of the heavy gamers I know have addictive personalities. Takes one to invest that much time into a game. Especially when you're at the point of building mods, immersed in communities, doing statistical analysis of game mechanics, developing tactics, etc. all to be the best

If Matt is the same, and he applies that same singular focus to his footy - you'll know he won't be left wondering. As long as he always considers it a challenge to beat.
I know some of the people that Ubergang would have had to beat to win the comps he did. So let me say there is no "if". To be a competitive player of LOL the training is all consuming. I understand why he had to resign from his team to play AFL. To be good enough to play e-games for money as he did he would have invested more than 40 hours a week on training and strategy minimum. You need to understand that people who excel at games like LOL for money are not your average school computer nerd.
Games that have high team and/or strategy components such as LOL are successfully played school age kids who are top 10% for academics in school. They won't skip school to play and will complete all homework before putting in 40 hours of training. Most of them tend to be ahead of the class and if there is a computer in class will spend class time writing computer code, developing map strategies, player strategies and reading about tacktics mostly whilst not getting below an A average. They will typically play from 8pm through to midnight every week day and about 10 hours on average each weekend day. Once out of school the they will train up to 50 hours a week and play allied games and relaxants to "manage interest" (yes its a thing) for between 20 and 30 hours a week unless there is a job to get in the way.
Professional gamers struggle to have long careers and usually have to go overseas to be truly successful. There are three reasons for this; one money is poor here, secondly burnout/bordom is a killer and most people can't transition between games so 5-8 yrs is normal. Lastly your reaction time starts to level off and drop in the 30's and games are all about reaction time.
IMHO Ubergang will probably have a personality that is exactly what professional outdoor sports require because you need the same ones in E-sports.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only ever been one computer game in my life. Marathon on the Mac. I started playing so my son and I could have 2 player games together and ended up playing every map I could get my hands on. Still do occasionally when I want to really zone out on something.

Only ever been one computer game in my life. Marathon on the Mac. I started playing so my son and I could have 2 player games together and ended up playing every map I could get my hands on. Still do occasionally when I want to really zone out on something.

Only two for me - the Civilization series and the Football Manager series.

I had a playstation when I was a teen but I got bored of it so I sold it to buy a weights bench, which I then proceeded to use about 4 times a year.

Only really sports games for me these days (FM, FIFA, NBA 2K, Madden etc), which also seem to be our players' games of choice - I've dabbled in a bit of Star Wars Battlefront and Fallout 4 recently too. Never been a big RTS/MMO/MOBA fan.

Also, I still maintain Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis is the best PC game of all time. If you never played it as a kid, download it - you've missed out!

Does anyone know what possie Uber plays and who he'd be similar to?

Was he drafted to be groomed as a successor to Pavlich?

I wouldn't have thought he and Collins were both drafted to play KPD. Surely the intention is to try to groom one of them forward, but I don't know which.

I wouldn't have thought he and Collins were both drafted to play KPD. Surely the intention is to try to groom one of them forward, but I don't know which.

Cheers Jerms.

There's nothing on YouTube showing highlights of his game style for Redland or Queensland.

Cheers Jerms.

There's nothing on YouTube showing highlights of his game style for Redland or Queensland.

My understanding is that he's played mostly as a forward, but that wasn't enough to get him drafted last year - he's since excelled playing back for Redlands this year. However, that could just be a spurt in his development as opposed to necessarily being suited down back. Collins played forward in the VFL GF, but certainly seems more predisposed to playing back than Ueber. Geez I'd love this guy to turn out to be our next star forward...

My understanding is that he's played mostly as a forward, but that wasn't enough to get him drafted last year - he's since excelled playing back for Redlands this year. However, that could just be a spurt in his development as opposed to necessarily being suited down back. Collins played forward in the VFL GF, but certainly seems more predisposed to playing back than Ueber. Geez I'd love this guy to turn out to be our next star forward...

I'd hazard a guess and say that, with exposed form and the familiarity about them, Collins would be in front of Uber.

The way I see it:

Pav.
Matthew Taberner. (Another overage Matthew who was overlooked in his first draft year.)
His Royal Apeness.
Collins or Collins in front of Apeness.
Uber.

Does anyone know what possie Uber plays and who he'd be similar to?

Was he drafted to be groomed as a successor to Pavlich?

Try stay on topic please. This thread is about computer games with lingo I don't understand.

The way I see it:

Pav.
Matthew Taberner. (Another overage Matthew who was overlooked in his first draft year.)

Let's not forget the great man himself was also a Matthew overlooked in his first draft year. That's three we've got now.

Let's hope the King of the Nerds is more Pav than Tabs.

Loved the Witcher 2 but I was really quite terrible at it. I had to buy a controller and use that instead and I improved marginally.

I'm a bit of a blizzard fanboi and have played a lot of diablo 3, starcraft, heroes of the storm and hearthstone. I used to play world of warcraft but my missus put an end to that. She hated that game with a passion hahaha

dont mind a bit of hots, d3 was a bit of a letdown if you were expecting a game similar to d2. in saying that ive still played it a fair bit. looking forward to overwatch too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back