Toast Fremantle's 1st Rookie Pick: Matthew Uebergang

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome. :)

That name will be a handful to type out regularly.

335666-tlsnewslandscape.jpg

Matthew Uebergang possesses terrific agility and speed.

Rookie Draft: Pick 16 - Matthew Uebergang

Club: Redland
Position: Key forward/defender
Date of birth: 6 January 1995
Height: 194cm
Weight: 91kg

From the Freo recruiters
The Redland product has played the majority of his football as a key forward but played primarily as a key defender in 2015. He played for the NEAFL in the state game against Tasmania, won the NEAFL rising star award, finished runner-up in Redland’s best and fairest and made the NEAFL team of the year. Matthew possesses an impressive athleticism for his size and reads the play very well, allowing him to take intercept marks or spoil. He is a beautiful kick and excellent decision-maker. Matthew possesses terrific agility and speed, recording a 2.91 in the 20m sprint. He has clean hands and a great vertical leap (87cm), helping his contested marking ability. At just 20 years of age, Matthew has significant promise, being able to play as both a key forward and defender.

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-09-22/draft-prospect-matthew-uebergang

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-06-30/draft-hopeful-went-from-gaming-to-football

Matthew-Ubebergang.jpg

Young Redland utility Matt Uebergang is proving to be the complete package after another top performance at the weekend earned him the Round 3 Rising Star nomination.

Uebergang collected 18 disposals, seven marks and six rebound 50s in the Bombers two-point loss to NT Thunder at Tidbold Park, and also polled the most NEAFL MVP votes for the match.

The 20-year-old currently sits in fifth place on the NEAFL MVP leaderboard and joins Eastlake’s Nick Fothergill and Brisbane’s Jack Rolls as Rising Star nominees for 2015.

The Ipswich-raised 194cm key position player has come through the Brisbane Lions Academy where his athletic traits stood out.

Uebergang was considered an AFL Rookie Draft chance last year and made the switch to defence this season after spending the majority of his junior career up forward.

He said he is enjoying the switch into the backline as he continues to chase his dream of reaching the elite level.

“I’m definitely enjoying it, it’s freed me up a bit more I guess,” he said.

“Playing in defence it’s more about shutting down your man rather than creating the goals. I feel like there is a lot less pressure.

“There was a bit of disappointment at the end of last year but it gives me more motivation to get out there each week.

“I enjoyed all those challenges and experiences (with the academy program) but it’s also good to stay at the one place for one year.

“I’m really enjoying Redland Football Club, there are a lot of great people and it’s good to have a bunch of young guys who have helped me.”

Coach Chris David said his young talent has been a tower of strength in the first few weeks of the season.

“Matt has been really consistent with his approach to his footy and really leaves no stone unturned when it comes to training,” he said.

“He has worked really hard in the pre-season on his defensive part of the game. He is a really good athlete and moves well, makes good decisions and executes well by hand and foot.

“We felt as coaches he would be best served in defence for the team this season but to also help him become a better footballer all-round.

“We are in a bit of strife with injuries at the moment but Matt has been rock solid for us.”

Uebergang played nine NEAFL games last year, split between Redland (four) and the Brisbane Lions (five).

The Bombers have had mixed results to start the season, with a terrific seven-point win over Sydney University in Round 1 followed by two close losses against Brisbane (seven points) and NT Thunder (two).

But Uebergang said there are plenty of positives to take out of the opening rounds.

“It disappointing but there are a lot of positive signs and as the year goes on we are going to improve. I was really pleased with our last quarter and our ability to hit targets and things like that,” he said.

Last edited:
I would say it's Uber-gang, like Uber taxis. Could easily be You-ber-gang though.

That video package was impressive, extends the dukes and takes the ball at it's highest point, very few chest marks in there.

A couple of nice sidesteps too, a replacement for Michael Johnson when MJ retires?

Highlight package shows all forward yet the commentary above saying he's spent the past year back

Nice option to have - happy with this pick

well theres a KPF for us!!! I remember being really excited about picking up a KPF by the name of Alex Howson a few years ago in the rookie draft, so im kind of just trying to not get to excited and have expectations to high at the moment. But its good to get another KPP in the door.

Looks like a bit to work with between this guy and Collins. Add in Pearce and our talls could be looking healthy in a years time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good looking highlights package.. took some bloody nice contested marks and a handy size. His highlights package makes me think passing on bootsma this year was a good call after all - I doubt bootsma is going anywhere and will stay at port another year ... it also sends him a message to lift his game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back