Preview Episode XIX - Return of the Jordy (Swans vs Crows - Sat 23/7 13:45 AEST @ SCG)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloods86

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 7, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Adelaide United, Everton, Socceroos
Alternative Title - Premiere Episode of Dawson's Cheek
“If you have to eat crow, eat it while it’s young and tender”
- Thomas Jefferson

Match Details - The Fitzy and Tippett Cup

Round 19 - Sydney Swans v Adelaide Cows* at the SCG
Saturday 23 July 2022 - 1:45 PM (AEST)

The History

The Crows have a strong, rich culture and history, having been lawyered into existence from a court-room, after SANFL clubs threw a tantrum about Port entering the national league. This was also the first iteration of the club's “Power Stance”, albeit in this case it had greater success.

Both clubs have had remarkable players over the journey. Of course, when we recall such names as Kelly, Davis, Mattner, we think of a courageous captain, final quarter heroics, brilliant chase down tackles to save a premiership (and my profile pic). The Crows recall unrewarded investment, among a very long list of players to want out. Although to be fair, they have had some success the other way, with Betts' tenure a highlight (reel), and recently, some less ambitious types joining.

Anyway, the Crows have been part of some of my favourite footy memories as a Swans fan. The 2012 QF here in Adelaide. The 77-point murder here in 2013, where even one J White torched them* (Tippett was still serving his suspension at home with family on the Gold Co... in Sydney). The 2016 Semi Final. The 2017 thriller (here) as underbirds. Them standing us up at the big dance in '05 and '06.

Sorry... uh this should be the recent history between the two clubs. Maybe not some overflowing of resentment, a result of growing up in SA (albeit ~400km from Adelaide), and not barracking for the media and fanbase favourite. Whatever. While I like Port (est. 1870) doing well, welcome to the preview featuring my most loathed club.

Past 5

1658033555399.png

Not a lot to read into there, as both teams fell away after finals runs, though we've noticeably improved since. The 2020 match was played as COVID-19 prevented the Crows "19th man" making any noise. That didn't stop Paps going in for high fives, with the fans missing, not unlike Tex "Top Bloke" Walker's late shot for the lead. The 2021 match was part of our brilliant start, where we probably should have put them away by more, but a fair showing, given the Crows had stunned the Cats the week before. It was nice to temper the local hype immediately.

The Form

Swans - W W L W L
Crows – L L L W L

We're back in form, after kicking the Dogs, and dismissing the Dockers. Can we get 3 in a row for only the 2nd time this year (Roos, Eagles, Hawks)? Chad's gone beast mode, Gulden and Hayward had their best games in a while, Paps is buzzing, and the McCartin's keep doing what they do. Florent's found a role, and Fox is on a roll. I forced myself to watch the early parts of the Crows lead-in matches (Hawks and Pies to add to the joy). The Crows got done over by a then out-of-form Hawks, and handled the Pies better than those Tippett Balfours commercials* that resulted in club sanctions, but couldn't ice the cake.

The Match-ups

T McCartin/Rampe vs Walker - Odd for such a young side, that they rely on a Walker to get anywhere. “The Texan”, or “Tex” as he's known, among several pejoratives, is averaging 2.77 goals per game, with some other lesser threats all capable of kicking a few when allowed. A younger, in-form Rampe would be the ideal solution for when Tex roams up around/beyond the 50, but closer to goal and more likely to blunt his influence is Tommy Mc. We should be able to tie up their other forwards pretty tightly. There's no trees handy on the SCG, but we'll make do.

Hayward vs Dawson – Clarke isn't to be dismissed, but Hayward might be better combating that guy who nets us a gun in 4 months time. Hayward has the aerial capability that Clarke doesn't, is sometimes seen running up the wing as an outlet option anyway, and can dish out some crunching tackles. Now, I'm far less vengeful about Jordan leaving to come back to his home state than many. I'm bemused with how some Swans fans feel about him personally, as crushing as it was. He was, alongside Hewett, as my (then) favourite players. There's no evidence he intentionally misled us, and he'd have been blasted either way, for disrupting our season or the B&F, if he'd actually made his mind up / announced his exit earlier. Hopefully he gets tagged into the ground though, I wish him no success at the Crows. Maginness and Sidebottom were given the job recently, the former more successful. Fox is the backup plan, albeit a loss in defence after his recent form. Clarke can go to Smith, their other key rebound and distribution threat.

The Crows have some accumulators, some defenders who are capable of cleaning up if we enter F50 poorly, and some small forwards that could have career best games if we let them, as we know we can. Berry (and Laird) embrace their tackle-work clearly (17 and 20 last outing, with Berry averaging 9). But if we stay committed all over the ground during the periods they have momentum, with a collective mind-set, all should be OK.

Some Stats

Despite their lowly ladder spot, the Crows fly in a couple of categories (below), even if they fall apart elsewhere. Expecting somewhat of a stoppage heavy game, if they are in control, as both they and opponents tend to rack up the related stats. Expect O'Brien to win the hitouts, although playing mostly a lone hand, was edged in number by Cameron and Cox on the weekend. So the keys will be matching the pressure at stoppages, requiring a team effort, that collective mind-set I mentioned, and as always with us, effective F50 entries. Although probabilities say we'll have more entries at least.
  • Ranked 1st in Tackles, but 17th in least Opponent Tackles​
  • Ranked 5th in Hitouts, but 15th in least Opponent Hitouts​
  • Ranked 2nd in Clearances, but 16th in least Opponent Clearances​
  • Ranked 15th in Team to Opponent Inside 50s Differential (also 15th for I50s in general)​
Our Changes

None (if possible). Sheldrick, Logan and Gould were the ones to press their case for selection in reserves. But I just can't justify any changes. Amartey was fairly lively for his size and kicked a couple of important, not so easy goals. Reid was quieter, some good contests and marks, but exceptional last week and the main backup to Hickey against O'Brien (2nd to Witts on ave. hitouts). Clarke's pressure was good, if not his composure at times (though maybe Paps shouldn't handball to teammates that will immediately be set upon). He's got the job on Smith for mine. Even Stephens, who hadn't reaped many rewards for his running, had a late cameo to get us all up and about.

Sheldrick is getting up to speed, maybe another week or two to focus on tidying up ball use, but should be in the frame soon. Cunningham and Campbell need to go back and get some playing time after a couple of weeks without much/any. Hard to pick a sub, since the 2 Cs, Sheldrick, JPK and Roberts just need to keep playing, and the reserves are earlier on Saturday. Form-wise you'd go Sheldrick.

Final Word

Simply a must win game, and if switched on, we should. If we aren't, the Crows can trouble us. There is some forecast rain next Saturday, not monsoonal, but the Crows were able to compete with Collingwood in admittedly wetter conditions than is forecast. I expect the Crows to get a few periods of momentum where they bang on a couple quickly, but if we can limit those, and actually convert when on top (!!!), all will be well. I hope the crowd isn't too harsh on Jordan, and the players keep the personal stuff to a minimum... keep in mind, he’ll have heard worse from his new club over the summer anyway. Hopefully he'll have no relevance to the result.

Swans by 34.

Bonus Content*

Tippett ‘Balfours’ ad #1
Tippett ‘Balfours’ ad #2
Adelaide “Cows” Snickers ad
Jesse White vs Crows 2013
Player Heatmaps (for those who want to know where Dawson's been playing)

Last edited:

62879865.jpg

Top preview. We must win this and by a decent margin.

The Cows have a poor list that I think our Matty Nicks is doing a good job with. Nicks will put plenty of work into keeping his distributors free and combatting our systems.

Top preview. We must win this and by a decent margin.

The Cows have a poor list that I think our Matty Nicks is doing a good job with. Nicks will put plenty of work into keeping his distributors free and combatting our systems.
Yeah I thought about bringing Nicks up, but I still don't like associating him with the Crows.

Clarke to B Smith

Rowbottom to Laird

Hayward to Dawson ( Who, at times, played 20-30m behind the last line.

It will be 100% man on man game.

I don't know how you do 45 PA's in a game.

Highest this year for us is Rowbottom 37 and Mills 35. We normally don't get into the 30s every week.
a0660d41b0a2d38c67aa2a79fe6e5b13.jpg
354e9e1a7e2a517d8d536bda44d3cd71.jpg

Sent from my SM-G990E using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Laird is still the Crows’ best.

Ryan Clarke, meet Rory Laird.

Laird is still the Crows’ best.

Ryan Clarke, meet Rory Laird.
IDK, feel like Clarke's only doing jobs as a defensive forward. Not sure we're going to sacrifice a mid to do that. Rowy a fair chance though.

IDK, feel like Clarke's only doing jobs as a defensive forward. Not sure we're going to sacrifice a mid to do that. Rowy a fair chance though.
Actually, you could be spot-on there.

I’m still used to seeing Laird off HB (I confess, I don’t bother watching the Crows much these days, as they’re a non-event*), but if he’s in the mids, then yes, Rowy might be the man for the job.

* except when they’re pineappleing us at the trade table. For that, I take great delight in their ongoing uselessness.

Last edited:
Hopefully Hickey will be good to go next week and fit. The only other solution is to maybe ruck Amartey with Reid ? Maybe bring back Logan. Could be too tall.
Wouldn't change a lot apart from that no one deserves to go out after that game.
Should spend one full session this week on goal kicking has been an issue for a few games.
Be nice to see Buddy get back into form a bit , he lives close to the edge of still being brilliant but also at that stage where he can't quite do the things he used to. He's probably due a bag or a suspension if he gets frustrated.
As normal we should win against lower ranked team out of form but it's the Swans and it's the SCG. Still much more confident after the last two games.

Amartey only had 54% TOG may be a possible out.
Hurt his shoulder after Buddy slammed into the back of him. Hope he comes up okay, I've liked him in our forward line and that kick from the sideline the other night was fantastic.

Crows have pushed Magpies and more than a few other teams this season. Need to play our contested ball best to make sure there are no chances offered.

Despite all the talk up pre-season of Dawson playing in the mids when push came to shove they've thrown him down back because they'd be stuffed if he wasn't playing there.

Can't afford to give them a sniff.

Crows form is only slight ahead of the Eagles and the Kangaroos in the last 11 weeks. They are the only teams they have beaten in this period. If it wasn’t for the abysmal form of those clubs the spotlight would well and truly be on them.

We should account for them even if it is on a Saturday afternoon time slot where we have played our poorest football this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back