News EnergyWatch CEO in Race Slur Row - Sponsor dropped

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: EnergyWatch CEO in Race Slur Row

Guys - remember I'm in Cairns - I lack the ability to read the HUN. *Checking HUN Site now*

Syl - I like cometti too man!

I like him too "A black day for the Swans at Sub-i-ac-o" but not when he joins the faux feeding-frenzy.

Jesus.

I understand how St Kilda supporters felt with the 'St Kilda schoolgirl' being mentioned every single time anything happened with her even if it wasn't to do with the club.

But what's irking me is the media using headlines to push their own agenda. 'Melbourne football club racism crisis'. Hold on. Neither a player nor official with the club have been found to be racist - in fact the opposite. The owner and CEO of a sponsor of the club has been found to be and the club may in fact cut them loose as a result of this. The same investigation would be going on at the MCG (scoreboard sponsor = EnergyWatch), Melbourne Victory and the Melbourne Rebels.

And yet it's the media pushing it as Melbourne being a racist club.

What do you think, Striker.

I become less keen on joining the media every day, except for BFN!

What do you think, Striker.

I become less keen on joining the media every day, except for BFN!

Honestly, I become more interested because peddling the kind of one-way AFL-biased tripe that the media have been over the past month drives me insane.

I don't care if Andy D locks down discussion - in fact, his lockdown makes it even MORE interesting and suggests there is something to hide.

I find it very interesting, however, that this has come out the day after the AFL are trying to stifle debate over their own role and shift blame to a MFC player.

Someone's looking at digging up some shit about the MFC. This much is clear.

New coach that openly says what he feels, everything with Watts, Mifsud, and now Pollis - Someone is trying to stir shit for the dees.

We can put on a dress and the lippy and sprucely show this guy to the door - oh, how the wolves will be howling at that point and much of Jimmy's work will be undone - or we can stand by him and tell everyone else, not least those hacks at the Herald Sun, to G&GF with relish.

**** me. When it rains, it pours!

What a week for the club. Polis is a knob jockey of the highest order but it puts us in a bad position - if we allow him to just apologise and we keep them does that make it look like we "condone" his comments?

But then if we sever ties we lose some major money, although I have no doubt we can land another sponsor.

As Brian Taylor would say... "wowee!"

We can put on a dress and the lippy and sprucely show this guy to the door - oh, how the wolves will be howling at that point and much of Jimmy's work will be undone - or we can stand by him and tell everyone else, not least those hacks at the Herald Sun, to G&GF with relish.

i understand your frustration Biff it's backs to the wall time at the Dees but this one is a matter of principle surely? It's not like the guy just sends a cheque in the mail and you never see him (if you really want his money anyway). As a major sponsor he will be at club functions, presentation nights, shaking hands with Neeld, Grimes, Davey and Liam. And he's a walking time bomb, if he hasn't done enough already with specific slurs against current players.

Can your club really afford to be associated with him. Having spent some very small time with that great man and being aware of his work for those less advantaged, l reckon l know what Jim Stynes would have said.

Heard a rumour the CEO may still owe money to the dees and this is his way out of the debt. He has been bankrupt before, not that that means anything. Basically, he wants you guys to pull the sponsorship so he doesn't have to pay

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i understand your frustration Biff it's backs to the wall time at the Dees but this one is a matter of principle surely? It's not like the guy just sends a cheque in the mail and you never see him (if you really want his money anyway). As a major sponsor he will be at club functions, presentation nights, shaking hands with Neeld, Grimes, Davey and Liam. And he's a walking time bomb, if he hasn't done enough already with specific slurs against current players.

Can your club really afford to be associated with him. Having spent some very small time with that great man and being aware of his work for those less advantaged, l reckon l know what Jim Stynes would have said.

J, as always, it is good to hear from you. You know that I respect your views thoroughly.

We need this two mill. Without it, no-one gets paid. Beggars cannot be choosers and sadly that is what we are at the moment on the financial front. It avails us nothing if we cast him off and undo much of the work that has been done over the past couple of years. One can only go to the well of well-heeled supporters every so often.

Everyone is redeemable. I'd much rather this arse-clown spend some time with some quality guys such as Liam in the hope he drops his prehistoric views.

And again, who among us has not made an offensive comment in our lives about any group whatsoever? I have.

Best wishes, as always, B.

J, as always, it is good to hear from you. You know that I respect your views thoroughly.

We need this two mill. Without it, no-one gets paid. Beggars cannot be choosers and sadly that is what we are at the moment on the financial front. It avails us nothing if we cast him off and undo much of the work that has been done over the past couple of years. One can only go to the well of well-heeled supporters every so often.

Everyone is redeemable. I'd much rather this arse-clown spend some time with some quality guys such as Liam in the hope he drops his prehistoric views.

And again, who among us has not made an offensive comment in our lives about any group whatsoever? I have.

Best wishes, as always, B.

Respect as always also. But l think you may be over-estimating the extent to which Mr Polis wishes to truly move on from these views. He's hardly given a response like Matt Rendell who was misunderstood/mortified etc.

I don't think we can afford to keep Energy Watch.

Yes it's 2mil, and yes we need that money, but ultimately how much will that cost us? How many potential major sponsors would be turnded away due to our association with this guy? How badly would his racism be viewed in association with our club in the minds of potential fans, players etc?

Conversely, how many potential sponsors etc would be attracted to the club if we took a tough stance and dumped this guy asap?

Mate, if it is a choice of dying uber-cleanly or living dirtily, I choose the latter.

IF there were other options, I would be happy for the club to adopt the high ground - but we haven't even signed a FOJ sponsor.

Yes, Jimmy would be unhappy, but what would his state of mind be if we fell back into a Norf-like debt?

Best wishes, B.

I don't think it's that bad Biff. We could certainly use the money but I just can't see the club standing by this guy. I'm sure you have read his comments and I know that I would feel uncomfortable if the club stuck by him. Jimmy would be more than unhappy too, there is no way he want them on board after that. He would rather let them go and fight hard and quickly to get new sponsors to the club - I'm sure there are ones out there who would jump at the chance, particularly if we gave Polis the arse quickly.

l don't know mate, it's certainly not my place to speak for Jimmy. But surely it wouldn't kill you? There needs to be efforts made to pursue other options (even the AFL would be sympathetic surely). The guy is a toxic knob and will end up costing you more in every way in my opinion.

Comrades, I hope you're right - I really do.

But in the current climate, $2m sponsors do not grow on trees.

There is a balance of interests here.

Mate, if it is a choice of dying uber-cleanly or living dirtily, I choose the latter.

IF there were other options, I would be happy for the club to adopt the high ground - but we haven't even signed a FOJ sponsor.

Yes, Jimmy would be unhappy, but what would his state of mind be if we fell back into a Norf-like debt?

Best wishes, B.

Biff - You're right - we need this, I don't dis-agree with what you're saying at all - I just don't think the club is gonna want to be near this. And as I stated in another thread to CBH - with everything that's happened (Jurrah, watts, Pollis, and lack of FOJ, and the rnd 1 loss) we look like a rabble.

Whether this is the case or not matters not - the outside perception does, and whether we want to admit it or not the perception is not good, and the worst thing is that if we do piss EW and FSEO off we're gonna really struggle to get new sponsors - hell we can't even get a FOJ because we're apparently waiting for the "right" deal.

In a nut shell - we're damned if we do or don't.

But the club is getting over $2 mil in media talk atm. Sadly its all negative. Kb in sen has just said they will have a press conference this arvo to pull the plug on the energy watch deal. But dont think they can as they will need to strip all jumpers of the logo on the back of the jumper b4 sat?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back