Coach Emma Kearney - will join Clarko's coaching team as development coach and player development co-ordinator

Remove this Banner Ad

No shes not.

Emma Kearney won the equivalent of the Brownlow in a premiership year.

She's been All Australian every season she's played.

Barlow was a 6.5/10 dreamteam player, Lynch a handy mid/forward connector, 7.5/10

Neither of them are even close to her in footy achievements or ability.

That's she's learning to be a coach while still captaining a side to a grand final is like ... der.

Are Barlow and Lynch still playing?

No, they're not. Maybe that's why they have more senior roles, because they've retired after middling playing careers lol.

Yes they have?

Tom Lynch has run a VFL program for 18 months and been a senior development coach for North during that time.

Mick Barlow was the VFL coach of the year last year and led a non aligned VFL club to the grand final on a 17 game winning streak. He's now Head of Development at North.

Emma has?

Yes, because they retired years ago, Emma is still playing.

She was there last year mate in a coaching role.

I've watched plenty of training.

She's akin to a work experience kid getting some valuable experience to be a long term asset to the womens program imo.

She doesn't take drills, she's not vocal at all at training.

It's a mentorship, assistant coach in name only.

I have no problem with her position, but she's not Tom Lynch or Barlow, anyone who has watched even a second of training would realise that.
I've seen her run drills.

pppfffft,

there you go letting facts get in the way of a good story again!

"Kearney's position is not a problem and the least of our issues, but stop making s**t up, she's been there for 2 years and she's not in any way an assistant coach or a line coach. Shes a "development coach" as in "watch and learn" shes very much a developing coach herself.

Hopefully one that I think will be a great asset to the AFLW program or maybe the AFL mens program long term."

Barlow was a 6.5/10 dreamteam player, Lynch a handy mid/forward connector, 7.5/10

That's she's learning to be a coach while still captaining a side to a grand final is like ... der.

No, they're not. Maybe that's why they have more senior roles, because they've retired after middling playing careers lol.

Emma > Anthony Stevens then.

AFLW runs from September to November and is semi-professional.

I don't think her duties during this period have held back her coaching career.

In fact she left her full time role as a teacher to work for North.

I think that probably had a little to do with it. lol.

Last edited:
Oh gawd you ppl make me laugh.
The Horizons_00 just asked what she brings not that she’s not good enough.

We very part of the club is getting scrutinised at the moment - no need to jump at shadows

I honestly didn’t mean it for everyone to get there knickers in a knot.

I don’t live in Melb, I can’t see much in regards to training etc

To call it woman bashing is insane. No one would be protected from criticism just because of what is between their legs haha

Everyone on this list needs to be questioned imo not just Emma. I should have made a seperate thread to tip toe around everyone’s sensitivity idk.

IMG_5942.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kearney is so, so far down the list of coaching/footy department concerns.

Monkhurtst, Clarke, and Adcock would be where I'd start if you want to start peeling back assistant coach performance issues.

Ok but why is she so far down on the list of concerns?

My bad, I thought she was a development coach as in she is responsible for developing our players / youth haha

My bad, I thought she was a development coach as in she is responsible for developing our players / youth haha

She needs to be separate from the others, because she is separate from the others.

She isn't included within the soft cap, so the alternative would need to be another female coach.

Given her contribution to the AFLW program, she is deserving of the post.

It's an initiative to develop the female coaching ranks, which is a good one.

I honestly didn’t mean it for everyone to get there knickers in a knot.

I don’t live in Melb, I can’t see much in regards to training etc

To call it woman bashing is insane. No one would be protected from criticism just because of what is between their legs haha

Everyone on this list needs to be questioned imo not just Emma. I should have made a seperate thread to tip toe around everyone’s sensitivity idk.

View attachment 1968147
i was sort of referring to myself sarcastically in the 3rd person with the woman bashing quip... wasnt directed to you,

Comparing AFLW to AFL players on ability is insane. The worst AFL players would dominate. Mick Barlow was an absurdly good footballer, went from playing for Werribee to winning 13 Brownlow votes in his first 12 games of footy and Tom Lynch contributed to changing how tall forwards play the game, averaging near midfield numbers while still good for over a goal a game. Kearney wouldn't get a touch in AFL, she would be too slow and weak by magnitudes.

She might end up a decent AFL coach but it'll have nothing to do with her ability as a player compared to the men she's coaching.

Comparing AFLW to AFL players on ability is insane. The worst AFL players would dominate. Mick Barlow was an absurdly good footballer, went from playing for Werribee to winning 13 Brownlow votes in his first 12 games of footy and Tom Lynch contributed to changing how tall forwards play the game, averaging near midfield numbers while still good for over a goal a game. Kearney wouldn't get a touch in AFL, she would be too slow and weak by magnitudes.

She might end up a decent AFL coach but it'll have nothing to do with her ability as a player compared to the men she's coaching.

Careful.

If you don't consider Erin Phillips as good as Gary Ablett Jnr in the eyes of some, you risk being labelled a misogynist.

Before we start, let's just clarify something; what is it you think a development coach does?

Careful.

If you don't consider Erin Phillips as good as Gary Ablett Jnr in the eyes of some, you risk being labelled a misogynist.
"Erin Phillips is as good a 14-year old as I've ever seen play football" says John Cahill.

When it was a fair fight, she ran rings around the boys, and so did other freak players like Emma Kearney. To say they aren't all-time great footballers is the same as discrediting Manny Pacquiao for not being a heavyweight.

Kearney is so, so far down the list of coaching/footy department concerns.

Monkhurtst, Clarke, and Adcock would be where I'd start if you want to start peeling back assistant coach performance issues.
I think Patch taking over Jordan Russell's role has been one major heck up we made over summer.
Patch has shown nothing to be promoted to handling the midfield and so far it looks like an absolute s**t show.

Reality is he is not getting any heat because hes a much loved son of the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back