Society/Culture Elon Musk - Takeover of Twitter?

Remove this Banner Ad

Relevance? Many people take issue with censorship ideals of the wacky left.
the 'wacky left' dont seem much different to Musk. Who is well known for banning people who criticise him and suing non for profits who point out the rise in Neo Nazis on his platform.
Ultimately it's a privately owned platform that people are free to use or not use - I don't see a problem if legal boundaries are maintained.
Thats right ultimately it is. He can do what he wants, as he has.

But the coalition created the esaftey commission to deal with these things

So at the end of the day, if they have an issue, there is an issue.

the 'wacky left' dont seem much different to Musk. Who is well known for banning people who criticise him and suing non for profits who point out the rise in Neo Nazis on his platform.
Ultimately that's up to the leadership and lawmakers to act upon. Advertisers and users can push for change too.
Thats right ultimately it is. He can do what he wants, as he has.

But the coalition created the esaftey commission to deal with these things

So at the end of the day, if they have an issue, there is an issue.
Australia's internet censorship rules should only apply to Australian IP addresses. Those of us who want to work around that should be able to.

Ultimately that's up to the leadership and lawmakers to act upon. Advertisers and users can push for change too.
Absolutely, they should and they do.

Musk then blames them for destroying Twitter and his legion of drone fans just agree with him.

You've forgotten all the complaining about woke ?
Australia's internet censorship rules should only apply to Australian IP addresses. Those of us who want to work around that should be able to.
Its an Australian image of and Australian crime, of course Australia has jurisdiction.

I cant understand why Musk gets people supporting him so hard.

Perhaps imagine X was owned by some wacky leftist you dont like.

Absolutely, they should and they do.

Musk then blames them for destroying Twitter and his legion of drone fans just agree with him.

You've forgotten all the complaining about woke ?

Its an Australian image of and Australian crime, of course Australia has jurisdiction.

I cant understand why Musk gets people supporting him so hard.

Perhaps imagine X was owned by some wacky leftist you dont like.
Agreeing with Musk in this and some other issues does not make one a fan. I certainly don't consider myself a supporter despite your conclusions.

It's my understanding that the reaches of Australian jurisdiction are set to go before the courts - and I will be supporting Musk in this instance.

Agreeing with Musk in this and some other issues does not make one a fan. I certainly don't consider myself a supporter despite your conclusions.
Yes im aware you are a 'centrist'

But it's not just you, i was referring to.

Musk seems to be the newly appointment RWNJ leader.
It's my understanding that the reaches of Australian jurisdiction are set to go before the courts - and I will be supporting Musk in this instance.
Its completely bizzare that any decent human could be supportive of these video being kept up in this accessible format

It's got nothing to do with freedom of speech (imo)

Last edited:
Yes im aware you are a 'centrist'

But it's not just you, i was referring to.

Musk seems to be the newly appointment RWNJ leader.

Its completely bizzare that any decent human could be supportive of these video being kept up in this accessible format

It's got nothing to do with freedom of speech (imo)
That's where I beg to differ. It has everything to do with freedom of speech/information and this is a test case. Government overreach in Australia is beyond ridiculous - whether I see the video or not should be my decision, not my governments.

There's been a lot worse content freely available online for decades including very graphic cartel and ISIS footage.

That's where I beg to differ. It has everything to do with freedom of speech/information and this is a test case. Government overreach in Australia is beyond ridiculous - whether I see the video or not should be my decision, not my governments.

There's been a lot worse content freely available online for decades including very graphic cartel and ISIS footage.
So you're happy to support a bloke like Elon Musk and believe that he is acting in good faith because I'd argue that's pretty questionable over bipartisan and long standing Australian policy which nobody had really concerned themselves with until now.

There isn't a thread for this, seems semi related

To be honest it just sounds like a central ID database hanging on the coat tails of social media.

Also could lock out poorer people, immigrants etc.

So you're happy to support a bloke like Elon Musk and believe that he is acting in good faith because I'd argue that's pretty questionable over bipartisan and long standing Australian policy which nobody had really concerned themselves with until now.

Vaccinating against woke mind viruses is more important to folks like Elon and evolved. They build their identities around that.

I'm quite confident he's not acting in good faith. Regardless, his claimed views align with mine in this instance.

Vaccinating against woke mind viruses is more important to folks like Elon and evolved. They build their identities around that.
I desire to live free from influence of the over-sensitive left and over-sensitive right. Don't like the video - don't watch it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Advertisers and users can push for change too.
He tells them to * off though.

He's got a cause now. No matter how many people he has banned - worldwide - just for criticising him, he will ride this hypocrisy for all its worth.

I don't think it's a freedom of speech issue, I think it's been framed as such when it really isn't. You can after all, talk about the event as much as you like, as we are doing here. So there is no limitation to our freedom of speech. I think it fits more into the conversation about government control of media, which government's have done since the year dot. That is really a very different conversation.

I would ask you to consider 2 questions.

Does any harm come from you not being able to see it?
- probably not, but you can correct me if your wrong.

Does any harm come from being able to see it?
- possibly, I can think of 2 ways. The first would be exposure of minors to this violence, we already accept censorship of what material kiddies have access to. The second is copy catting. Copy cat crimes are well recognised. In fact we seem to gong through a spate of terrible knife attacks in Oz, which may have influenced each other though portrayal in the internet and the media. I suspect this may be the reason the government is keen to censor it.

I agree there has been much worse footage. I'm not sure it has helped anyone seeing that except the Gore fans. I watched some of those videos and really wished I didn't. I still have nightmares from the images of the decapitated girl.

Anyway, it's a complex issue made more so by the intervention of Musk, a man on the spectrum, without a skerrick of empathy, whose invested tens of billions of dollars into a platform he is mismanaging. There is a lot going on.

He tells them to * off though.

He's got a cause now. No matter how many people he has banned - worldwide - just for criticising him, he will ride this hypocrisy for all its worth.
That's his prerogative as long as he's operating within confines of the law and structures of accountability within the organisation.

There's a lot of educational free content on twitter so i hope it survives, but it's interesting to watch Elon act in ways that are counterintuitive to standard business practice.

I don't think it's a freedom of speech issue, I think it's been framed as such when it really isn't. You can after all, talk about the event as much as you like, as we are doing here. So there is no limitation to our freedom of speech. I think it fits more into the conversation about government control of media, which government's have done since the year dot. That is really a very different conversation.
That's a fair point and I don't disagree. I'd say it goes beyond that into the reach of Australian law to a global scale. If Twitter complies with Australian law by blocking content from Australian IP addresses, I view that as a reasonable response.
I would ask you to consider 2 questions.

Does any harm come from you not being able to see it?
- probably not, but you can correct me if your wrong.
I haven't viewed the video and probably wont. That question misses the point here.

Would I be harmed by an alcohol ban? No, of course not. Do I want the freedom to drink alcohol? Yes.
Does any harm come from being able to see it?
- possibly, I can think of 2 ways. The first would be exposure of minors to this violence, we already accept censorship of what material kiddies have access to. The second is copy catting. Copy cat crimes are well recognised. In fact we seem to gong through a spate of terrible knife attacks in Oz, which may have influenced each other though portrayal in the internet and the media. I suspect this may be the reason the government is keen to censor it.

I agree there has been much worse footage. I'm not sure it has helped anyone seeing that except the Gore fans. I watched some of those videos and really wished I didn't. I still have nightmares from the images of the decapitated girl.

Anyway, it's a complex issue made more so by the intervention of Musk, a man on the spectrum, without a skerrick of empathy, whose invested tens of billions of dollars into a platform he is mismanaging. There is a lot going on.
As you say, there are worse videos online that can already be accessed by children. I can easily find content made by ISIS and shared on gore sites; if copycat crimes are an issue, how will the issue be made worse by a single and less graphic video being shared on Twitter?

The content that offends or traumatises one person doesn't necessarily traumatise another. I've spent time looking for the most offensive movies, gore content, comedy - very little of which bothers me at all. Yet I'm not violent and the worst thing on my police record is a speeding ticket.

I respect the right of Australian governments to make laws for Australia within current political framework. Beyond Australian borders (including IP), nah.

No doubt these things are available and still will be, to me it's just removing it from an easily accessible place. It seems perfectly reasonable.

Twitter already limits violent videos, which you can get elsewhere.

The only difference here is Musk has decided since hes been asked hes going to say no.

Its just Musk trying to feel important again, like he did in Brazil.

To be honest it just sounds like a central ID database hanging on the coat tails of social media.

Also could lock out poorer people, immigrants etc.
That's what i was thinking, it seems far more worthy of debate than the removal of a graphically violent picture being removed from an easily accessible app.

the sad part is, the very public debate about this video will likely make more people support the idea of this kind of verification.

That's a fair point and I don't disagree. I'd say it goes beyond that into the reach of Australian law to a global scale. If Twitter complies with Australian law by blocking content from Australian IP addresses, I view that as a reasonable response.

I haven't viewed the video and probably wont. That question misses the point here.

Would I be harmed by an alcohol ban? No, of course not. Do I want the freedom to drink alcohol? Yes.

As you say, there are worse videos online that can already be accessed by children. I can easily find content made by ISIS and shared on gore sites; if copycat crimes are an issue, how will the issue be made worse by a single and less graphic video being shared on Twitter?

The content that offends or traumatises one person doesn't necessarily traumatise another. I've spent time looking for the most offensive movies, gore content, comedy - very little of which bothers me at all. Yet I'm not violent and the worst thing on my police record is a speeding ticket.

I respect the right of Australian governments to make laws for Australia within current political framework. Beyond Australian borders (including IP), nah.

Assuming you are outraged by what can be seen on twitter today - videos of riot police arresting peaceful anti-genocide protestors at US universities. The land of free speech!

Weirdly, Elon hasn't mentioned it either.

The stabbing video is more important, yeah?

Assuming you are outraged by what can be seen on twitter today - videos of riot police arresting peaceful anti-genocide protestors at US universities. The land of free speech!

I feel like Elon has looked at the people who dominate the Australian media landscape and decided he wants in on it too.

I'd rather focus on the stabbing video for a number of reasons.

It's fascinating that a QLD'er who took so much pleasure at heavy policing of peaceful Victorian protesters during the pandemic is upset when the same response is used against his team.

The seeds you plant yesterday help create your environment today.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back