EDFL Premier Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I understand why people like to pot EK and DP but surely the level of vitriol is over the top?

Bit of a distraction to this thread at the moment.
If you are going to trash talk like those clubs have it’s obviously going to come back pretty hard when things go south.

Pat was beating his chest for 2 years telling us all they were going to shake this comp up, all he has achieved is to set fire to a lot cash and turn away a lot of good EK people. I know of more than one loyal EK men who weren’t upset that they lost today, they want it to end and get the clean up started. Pats support is down to single figures within the club! There was so many passionate EK posters on here that got caught up in it and defended him for as long as they could, but you can see in the last 12 months those posts have disappeared. Feel for those supporters of a once solid club. On paper stronger than opposition again today but Prendegast pulled his pants down and wore them down over 4 quarters.

As for Deer Park, the EDFL can take FULL responsibility! Why on earth they let them and St.Albans in will always baffle me

I understand why people like to pot EK and DP but surely the level of vitriol is over the top?

Bit of a distraction to this thread at the moment.
Today when I read that Deer Park seniors were defeated by 124 points and their reserves gave a walkover, I could not be more happy or satisfied. Fortunately I remember Deer Park as an ordinary club who couldn’t win anything in the WRFL but over the last 9 years it seems their delusional administrators and supporters think that they have become the smartest and greatest club by annually spending between $450K to $500K to recruit mercanaries to win flags against clubs who have spent about a quarter of that budget. Deer Park are now demonstrating on field what a pathetic, dumb witted and unprofessional club they are by not investing in juniors, not playing within the allocated salary cap and simply not having enough foot know how to be successful. Deer Park left the WRFL having earnt ZERO respect and admiration for there so called “trophy cabinet” and they haven’t enhanced their reputation in the EDFL so far - footy is great again.

At the end of day Keilor won the flag last year and yes they will be hard to beat again this year. But it’s hardly a dynasty.

All the sooking on this page about how lopsided the competition is, maybe a few clubs need to roll the sleeves up and get to work. Obviously Keilor did going back 4-5 years ago and they reaping the benefits.

Keilor just have one of the great teams ever in the competition, hasn’t been forever, won’t be forever. Something drastic would need to change for it to be a competitive GF this season. Can either suck it up and get better, or whinge.

Still plenty of interest, and lots of big games to play out every week. How much is there between Abers, Pacco & Mores ? And might be even less between Greenvale, Douttas, East Keilor, Avondale, Deer Park and Airport West.

If Deer Park do get relegated, we could be starting a viscous cycle of up/down for years. The Deer Park mercernary method works at the 2nd tier/WRFL but gets completely shown up in a real Premier comp.
Mercenary method worked in wrfl for one reason only money ,wrfl clubs aren't financially stocked like some of edfl clubs in abers,keilor,strathmore, greenvale ect they have come crashing back to earth with a thud .

Well based upon what I have read on here and today's scores there are three certainties:
1. Deer Park are shite and will be relegated.
2. East Keilor are shite and might be relegated.
3. Keilor are an exceptional side in beating Pacco by 20 goals and I need to reassess my view that either Echuca or Yarrawonga would get near them no matter where it was played!!
Did you know airport west & avondale heights play in the competition haircut?

Mercenary method worked in wrfl for one reason only money ,wrfl clubs aren't financially stocked like some of edfl clubs in abers,keilor,strathmore, greenvale ect they have come crashing back to earth with a thud .
It worked in the wrfl because the points system wasn’t around the first few years when they win flags.
Then it took a few years for the points system to do its job and they got a few more flags in the meantime.
Now that they’re losing their base with one pointers leaving every year, they can’t compete

I have quite a bit to add to the conversation tonight gents.
1. Aberfeldie are a class outfit that play a quality brand of football showing respect to their opponents. Clearly they are well coached and well supported. It was pleasing to see a crowd of supporters not hurling abuse at the opposition. Well done to Aberfeldie and I think you can beat Keilor if you make the big dance and get the early jump on them.
2. Deer Park has been destroyed by Covid this week. Might go some way to answering any questions about the failure to field a seconds team and the performance of the senior team. Deer Park do not make excuses so you will not hear anything on this officially.
3. Shannon Byrnes - A quality person and player. What is it with people who are questioning why he wants to play a game he clearly loves. He is fit and healthy. The league should be thankful that a dual AFL premiership player is willing to line up. He had a lot of the ball today.
4. I reiterate that the loss by Deer Park of Luke Goater and Bailey Morrish to the US of A basically ended their season before it started. They would both be in the best 22 in the EDFL and probably in the first 8 picked.
5. I keep hearing the EDFL and WRFL merger is on the cards. Reality is there are too many teams in the same boat with lack of numbers, lack of supporters and lack of people prepared to get in and do the jobs a club needs done by volunteers. The only solution is to merge the 2 leagues and force club mergers to form super clubs like Keilor. i.e. Bring Keilor Park, Tullarmarine and East Keilor together.
6. Keilor will get done in the GF. Xavier will go down early with a torn quad and mighty Mick will be hissing like a death adder and all the Keilor faithfull will be running home to mummy.

1. Aberfeldie are a class outfit that play a quality brand of football showing respect to their opponents. Clearly they are well coached and well supported. It was pleasing to see a crowd of supporters not hurling abuse at the opposition. Well done to Aberfeldie and I think you can beat Keilor if you make the big dance and get the early jump on them.
2. Deer Park has been destroyed by Covid this week. Might go some way to answering any questions about the failure to field a seconds team and the performance of the senior team. Deer Park do not make excuses so you will not hear anything on this officially.
3. Shannon Byrnes - A quality person and player. What is it with people who are questioning why he wants to play a game he clearly loves. He is fit and healthy. The league should be thankful that a dual AFL premiership player is willing to line up. He had a lot of the ball today.
4. I reiterate that the loss by Deer Park of Luke Goater and Bailey Morrish to the US of A basically ended their season before it started. They would both be in the best 22 in the EDFL and probably in the first 8 picked.
5. I keep hearing the EDFL and WRFL merger is on the cards. Reality is there are too many teams in the same boat with lack of numbers, lack of supporters and lack of people prepared to get in and do the jobs a club needs done by volunteers. The only solution is to merge the 2 leagues and force club mergers to form super clubs like Keilor. i.e. Bring Keilor Park, Tullarmarine and East Keilor together.
6. Keilor will get done in the GF. Xavier will go down early with a torn quad and mighty Mick will be hissing like a death adder and all the Keilor faithfull will be running home to mummy.
Taking the thumping well down at the den I see 😂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh dear.

The other thing I would say about the EK game is how dead it was in the crowd in the last quarter.

Haha oh Longblow the gift that keeps on giving

Today when I read that Deer Park seniors were defeated by 124 points and their reserves gave a walkover, I could not be more happy or satisfied. Fortunately I remember Deer Park as an ordinary club who couldn’t win anything in the WRFL but over the last 9 years it seems their delusional administrators and supporters think that they have become the smartest and greatest club by annually spending between $450K to $500K to recruit mercanaries to win flags against clubs who have spent about a quarter of that budget. Deer Park are now demonstrating on field what a pathetic, dumb witted and unprofessional club they are by not investing in juniors, not playing within the allocated salary cap and simply not having enough foot know how to be successful. Deer Park left the WRFL having earnt ZERO respect and admiration for there so called “trophy cabinet” and they haven’t enhanced their reputation in the EDFL so far - footy is great again.

One flag in 50 years.

Not sure Keilor would be able to match it with the top EFL sides, Balwyn, Noble Park, Vermont.
Keilor WOW…. EDFL need to stop letting them absolutely rape the junior program…know of 3 top gun u/16kids … they contact the parents …and nek minute they are Keilor “ kids” and become 1 pointers…
Seriously fat Mick and his endless money pit 🤦🏼‍♂️

Keilor just have one of the great teams ever in the competition, hasn’t been forever, won’t be forever. Something drastic would need to change for it to be a competitive GF this season. Can either suck it up and get better, or whinge.

Still plenty of interest, and lots of big games to play out every week. How much is there between Abers, Pacco & Mores ? And might be even less between Greenvale, Douttas, East Keilor, Avondale, Deer Park and Airport West.

If Deer Park do get relegated, we could be starting a viscous cycle of up/down for years. The Deer Park mercernary method works at the 2nd tier/WRFL but gets completely shown up in a real Premier comp.
Couldn't have articulated it better Gremlin. Keilor are in the midst of a purple patch atm, much like Abers, Strathmore and Greenvale have been at times in the past. Going back further, Douttas and several other clubs who have eventually been relegated. Oak park had time in the sun at one stage. I can't think of a club that's had continued success using the mercenary method and the club culture is always the worse for it when it's employed.

If Deer Park do get relegated, we could be starting a viscous cycle of up/down for years. The Deer Park mercernary method works at the 2nd tier/WRFL but gets completely shown up in a real Premier co

It’s a fair point you raise, however If Deer Park get relegated - they would need to recruit a huge amount of players to be a Grand Final winning chance in 2025, even in Div 1 from what we have seen this year.

I reckon West Coburg and Marby would beat them by 10 goals this year..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back