Roast Dwayne-Pipe Russell

Remove this Banner Ad

Healy was worse IMHO for bias but they both made me sick last Night. Cannot believe they were that bold about it. Love that Wikipedia article and it should be sent to the FootyShow (if Eddie McGuire would let it go to air).

Russell is hands down the worst AFL commentator I have ever heard (he even makes Steve Quatermaine sound reasonable :eek:). Not only is he crap at calling the game, but he continually over hypes goals & marks calling them goal/mark of the year for something pretty average.

TOOLS of the HIGHEST ORDER! :mad::thumbsdown:

Loved how Russell said that Carrazzo was our best player or midfielder before Judd arrived...Nice backhander to that ex-Port midfielder who could play a bit...And Fevola who had won a Coleman Medal and AA guernseys.

Me and my mates had a good chuckle at this how. What an ignorant piece of crud. What about the two number 1 draft picks or Coleman medal winner we also had on our list?? Fool of the highest order

You either love Carlton or hate them with a passion like Russell, Lloyd, Quarterbrain etc. I'd rather that than being a crap nothing club like Port, Bulldogs etc who no-one gives a toss about.

Ha, dunno who Mark is but BT on AW's Sports Today got very defensive about the Dwayne call. If you believe him, any caller who played for a club has the right to barrack for them every now and then. Wrong. BigFooty got a mention on air, sounds like there's a few readers in media land although BT swore he never read that crap.

What a cockroach Dwayne pig-headed Russel is, every time a team is behind by 50 points in the last quarter, if they kick a couple in a row he acts like they're gonna win "Ohh they've got 2 in a row!!!"

Yesterday was an absolute disgrace I'll be surprised if he doesn't get sacked for his obvious biased crap. Healy's no better at half time he goes to Brad Johnson "can Carlton win?" LOL yeah nah we couldn't win Healy we were too far behind :rolleyes:

You either love Carlton or hate them with a passion like Russell, Lloyd, Quarterbrain etc. I'd rather that than being a crap nothing club like Port, Bulldogs etc who no-one gives a toss about.

That's all good and well. But not when your a commentator, who is meant to be neutral. Same with umpires. Imagine if an umpire went into a game with the "i either love/hate Carlton" (hai umpire (can't remember his name which is a fantastic thing) who hated Carlton, someone fill me in).

Also, in case some idiot comes on with a Robert Walls thread, he is also a knob (commentator)

if you observe big footy long enough, you know that commentator bias can also double as 'does not kiss the arseholes of my favorite teams players when i think he should'. funnily enough supporters are never able to factor in their own bias into criticism...
getting upset at commentary is pathetic. much like setting aside some time before each game to discuss who will be umpiring it.

if you observe big footy long enough, you know that commentator bias can also double as 'does not kiss the arseholes of my favorite teams players when i think he should'. funnily enough supporters are never able to factor in their own bias into criticism...
getting upset at commentary is pathetic. much like setting aside some time before each game to discuss who will be umpiring it.

Very true, people often forget to take their own bias in to consideration. Although, team biased aside, Dwayne's commentary is still ordinary. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I don't think he knows what constitutes "prior opportunity".

In regards to umpires, my favourite argument with my Essendon supporting friend was when he was adamant that Hayden Kennedy was biased against Essendon. I then kindly informed him that Hayden Kennedy is in fact a Bombers supporter (he was my P.E. teacher many years ago). He changed his tune pretty quickly. :rolleyes:

I can't stand Robert Walls as a commentator.

There goes that theory (for my part anyways)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Commentators and umpires both have never particularly bothered me that much to be honest. Russell definitely isn't one of the better ones going around though, not someone i would choose to listen to, bias aside.

In regards to umpires, i make it a mission of mine to not even bother to learn who they are, a shit decision is a shit decision regardless of who blew it. I firmly believe they do their best to call it as they see it, and its a prick of a job, and not one that i would like to have to do, especially with how so many people react to them, and with the increased speed it just makes it harder again.

As long as they add a touch of excitement to a game. I think if we are playing exciting footy even the most perceived biased commentator has to describe it. It's often funny listening to them grind their teeth as we put a team to the sword. Callers like Morphett are the worst for mine. His range is somewhere between dead and dull. Ugh! Whereas Huddo has that edge of hysteria which I really thinks lifts a game. It's difficult to expect a caller to be a wordsmith, get the tone right, love your team and follow the ups and downs of the game accurately all in a single shift. Be good but.

Russell is the only one I can't stand. There's another bloke on Fox who irks me too but only because he continually gets player names wrong, or pauses awkwardly when it's someone he's not sure about. Not sure who, think he's a relatively new play by play commentator.

Walls is one of my favourites. Love his passion for Carlton and how he echoes my emotions when calling us. :)

Ah well, i guess 'dumb's' theory seems pretty correct then.
To me, Robert Walls (as a commentator) is a know-it-all, biased (to Carlton) and monotone

Tim Lane's hypocrisy about not calling games with Eddie cause he is a club president but okay with Blight calling Suns games is a joke and I often feel like he is giving a lecture whilst calling.

Best commentary teams ever was 7 in the 80's and 90's. Peter Landy, Sandy Roberts, Don Scott and Ian Robertson.
People rave on about Commetti's humour but forget Sandy's flair.
No one but Sandy could come up with gems like Aerial biscuit :D

I didn't see the broadcast of the game, so I can't comment specifically on what he said on that occasion, but I can understand people not being a fan of Russell. I don't particularly like him myself. As for what whoever it was said, I don't see what the problem is with discussing umpires or commentary teams. They are all parts of the overall footy experience, and are worth talking about if you have an issue with them.

The worst commentator at the moment by a mile (seeing Underwood is now outside the box). On AFL360 two weeks ago, Robbo asked Gerard who would you rarther be B Taylor or D Russell. When he surprisingly answered Russell, I emailed them just so they know we don't all agree.

For me it's not about bias or the size of his huge nose it's about commentating accurately and professionally on what's happening - he doesn't do that.

I asked them to look at Round 1 WC at home to Nth, when with about 5 mins remaining in the 3rd and WC 5 points up, he said " the home fans sense this one slipping away". WC pretty much dominated the entire game and never looked in trouble whatsoever on my tv.

Secondly all through the NAB cup the amount of times he said "could go for 9" when it was either impossible, inappropriate or at best highly unlikely was ridiculous - when a guy was given a free on the boundary line and would have needed to kick it about 90 metres he still said it - unbelievable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back