• Yes

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • No

Votes: 11 45.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

same myth bunyip/yowie terminology is dependant on geographic origin of the user.
think of it like pots and middies.
I think the bunyip was generally a water dwelling cryptid while the yowie was the classic big mountain man, though the names as you say do change a bit with location and over time. There is a very good book called 'The Yowie' which documents hundreds of sighting in Oz. The web site for the book is here http://www.yowiefile.com/The_Yowie_File/Home.html

After reading the book I was convinced that the people where seeing something, but what?

Actually my grandfather claimed to see a yowie, probably 30 years ago now. It was apparently crouched on the side of the road, as he approached in his car it stood up on two legs and walked off into the bush. I struggle to believe that such a thing lives in Australia, but he wasn't one to make things up like that.

Actually my grandfather claimed to see a yowie, probably 30 years ago now. It was apparently crouched on the side of the road, as he approached in his car it stood up on two legs and walked off into the bush. I struggle to believe that such a thing lives in Australia, but he wasn't one to make things up like that.

the mind plays tricks, just look at the woy woy lights. just because you see something especially if it moves quickly or little lighting your brain can fill in what's missing quite dramatically.

You ever see something or someone out of the corner of your eye. only when you look there's nothing there? or thought you recognised someone only when they came closer or turned around you realised it wasn't them?

the principle is the same, Imagine if you don't get a second look or had time to properly process what you saw? could you so easily shake it as an over active imagination or would you struggle trying to make sense of what you saw?

I remember almost shitting bricks a few months ago, walked in the front door two in morning and there was some big campaigner in a coat standing in laundry. I turned on the light and it was my raincoat, gf had hung it up to dry. Felt like an utter ******* for being freaked for no reason. But before turning on that light i would've sworn until i was blue in face that someone was standing there.

the mind plays tricks, just look at the woy woy lights. just because you see something especially if it moves quickly or little lighting your brain can fill in what's missing quite dramatically.

You ever see something or someone out of the corner of your eye. only when you look there's nothing there? or thought you recognised someone only when they came closer or turned around you realised it wasn't them?

the principle is the same, Imagine if you don't get a second look or had time to properly process what you saw? could you so easily shake it as an over active imagination or would you struggle trying to make sense of what you saw?

I remember almost shitting bricks a few months ago, walked in the front door two in morning and there was some big campaigner in a coat standing in laundry. I turned on the light and it was my raincoat, gf had hung it up to dry. Felt like an utter ******* for being freaked for no reason. But before turning on that light i would've sworn until i was blue in face that someone was standing there.

Yeah most likely that's the case, although he saw it for a reasonable period of time and got a decent look at it, he was driving from Victoria to Queensland so he may well have just been behind the wheel for too long. Can definitely relate to being freaked out by hanging clothes in the dark, haha.

Yeah I reckon we've all been done by the clothes in the dark, or the shadow in the corner of your eye. We have a tv on a retractable arm in our bedroom, retracts back into a cabinet. If we have a night watching TV in bed (romantic I know, give me a spell, we have 5 kids...) we usually CBF getting up to manually retract it into the cabinet (it's not automated). So, I'll often turn over in the night and spot this shape in the half asleep periphery. It's a shape with small glowing light on it. s**t! Oh... It's just the ******* tv...lol

Yeah I reckon we've all been done by the clothes in the dark, or the shadow in the corner of your eye. We have a tv on a retractable arm in our bedroom, retracts back into a cabinet. If we have a night watching TV in bed (romantic I know, give me a spell, we have 5 kids...) we usually CBF getting up to manually retract it into the cabinet (it's not automated). So, I'll often turn over in the night and spot this shape in the half asleep periphery. It's a shape with small glowing light on it. s**t! Oh... It's just the ******* tv...lol
My brother used to have an 8 foot cut out cardboard poster of Chewbacca in his bedroom. It used to scare the s**t out of me.

Some guys shot bigfoot but some other guys stole the body.

More than anything 'Bigfoot' is most likely a loner who is quite big and has been shunned by society because he is a freak so has gone to live in the forest and grew a beard and never got his hair cut, the US has hundreds of thousands of homeless and many of them live in forested areas, sure bigfoot exists but so does the big lumbering homeless man that society has shunned and makes fun of.
No doubt scared shitless of the 'hunters' who come looking for him with their loaded guns and bourbon breath.

Ha that video, those stupid rednecks, would have total IQ of 50 between them. They more chance of shooting themselves than bigfoot

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ha that video, those stupid rednecks, would have total IQ of 50 between them. They more chance of shooting themselves than bigfoot

Actually i think there pretty ******* smart, the shows clearly bullshit and yet they convinced a tv network to pay them good money to air it and they have actual profitable merchandise sales.

Reading a scary story thread on another camping website and heaps of people seem to infer a Bigfoot/Yowie type creature stalking them in the Australian outback. Stuff like aboriginal legend and all linked with the commonality of a foul odour appearing and their dogs not being happy ect

Reading a scary story thread on another camping website and heaps of people seem to infer a Bigfoot/Yowie type creature stalking them in the Australian outback. Stuff like aboriginal legend and all linked with the commonality of a foul odour appearing and their dogs not being happy ect
They should probably shy away from the mushrooms.

You sure?

It's a huge, unexplored world out there.
Yeah, I said unlikely.

But surely it takes a bit? Some level or population to keep it going for a century or thousands? And we don't know they exist?

Yeah we find the occasional human colony on a single island or in the amazon but I think attests in Australia we would have some evidence, like bones.

Not saying it couldn't happen though, definitely possible .

imagine the money they made off suckers, making them holiday to s**t places under the illusion they might find bigfoot.

I remember about 20 years back I knew someone who was adament he had seen one out Strathewen/Kinglake way. Just gave him the slow nod of the head with the 'ok' and changed subject. Bloke was of sane mind and never said anything else along such lines. Didn't believe him obviously.
Myself and a few mates saw a black panther at Strath Creek a few years back.

Back