Diet, Supplements and Enhancers

Remove this Banner Ad

There is an Australian Sports Nutrition shop in my local shopping centre. I go in there and browse occasionally but I agree with the sentiments that you don't really need that much. I use protein powder, creatine, a magnesium supplement and a greens powder in my protein smoothie each day. That's it.

James Smiths content is top shelf. Recommend anyone trying to drop weight to check his stuff out.
Pretty honest too.
He has other videos talking about trying steroids and clenbuterol in the past. And he seems to live in 'the real world'

Hi all, I need some help please.

30 years no meat, significant health issues followed, practically bedridden all year, weak as piss right now. Like, so weak, I struggle to unwrap a Mars Bar, even the new paper ones. That's not even a joke.

I'm doing weights 5 times a week now as I try to recover some strength back. Unfotunately I have no understanding of supplements or anything like that. What is the best post-workout shake I can get, preferably one that tastes like timtams, and where do I get it?

Keen in mind, I've literally been in bed for months at a time, at my age my health declined VERY rapidly during this period. I'm starting from a very low base!

Eat eat eat - protein shakes are great for convenience but aren't a panacea in themselves.

If you want protein powder, avoid retail and brand names and just go online to Bulk Nutrients. Cheaper and have a solid reputation.

Non meat: Eggs are cheap and have a high protein bioavailability.

Hi all, I need some help please.

30 years no meat, significant health issues followed, practically bedridden all year, weak as piss right now. Like, so weak, I struggle to unwrap a Mars Bar, even the new paper ones. That's not even a joke.

I'm doing weights 5 times a week now as I try to recover some strength back. Unfotunately I have no understanding of supplements or anything like that. What is the best post-workout shake I can get, preferably one that tastes like timtams, and where do I get it?

Keen in mind, I've literally been in bed for months at a time, at my age my health declined VERY rapidly during this period. I'm starting from a very low base!
Are you underweight or overweight? Food is energy, so depending on your body type i'd get some calories in. Supplements are just that.... As in, they're supposed to supplement what your not getting enough of in your diet. So if your getting enough protein in your diet then excess/unused protein is literally just pissed out.

The fact that you are doing weights now 5 days a week is a great improvement so be ecstatic with that. The strength and energy will come with the increased movement, if not.... then it would be worth follow ups with the doc. Iron levels, possible chronic fatigue etc.

Im probably wrong here and havent researched this, but I wouldnt recommend it to a newbie.

I probably tell them to wait for 6months. There is enough gains going with newbies and I think they will enjoy and appreciate the benefits of creatine after they have lifted for a few months.

I had no idea it has all these benefits:

Muscle Growth

Increased Strength and Performance

Prevent Injury and Reduce Recovery Time

Brain Health

Other Potential Health Benefits

Some research suggests that creatine supplementation may aid in lowering blood sugar and help treat nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. More research is needed in these areas.
How did you go with this, do you think it makes a difference?

You are probably a good person to judge because you have moved on to it as a more experienced lifter.

How did you go with this, do you think it makes a difference?

You are probably a good person to judge because you have moved on to it as a more experienced lifter.
I still wasnt convinced after a first few days, even though the literature said it can happen during a loading phase.

However, two weeks in now and definitely noticed 100% lifting a bit more weight and with reps. Its incremental increase but its a great feeling. I definitely look bigger as well.

The irony being is that Ive dropped weight this past week as well.

I did look and feel bloated during the loading phase. Its the first and last time I will ever do that phase.

I am actually glad I didnt take up creatine earlier tbh. These gains I have had and been having, are lot more appreciated and valued now, then maybe a year or two back. In fact I probably wouldnt have noticed them, because I was so focused on trying to improve technique. That any gains back then, could have been attributed to being more skilled in executing the movement.

Recovery also is really good. Usually on Day 6 of Push,Pull,Legs Im cooked. I felt fine to go in today and feeling fine afterwards.

Motivation can only take you so far, Discipline is really the key variable, however being able to recover to go in at 6am on a Saturday without any fatigue issues is an awesome feeling.

I will be cooked tomorrow though, lol. :D

Could I please get your thoughts (or anyone else as well, go you pups ) about these two protein powders?

I take casein before my workout and before bed time. Never had any issues with them and like the taste. Importantly it keeps me fueled for my workout and at night time it fills me up.

During the day I take the isolate.
Never been a fan of the Optimum Nutrition bandwagon, this is more of a cultural decision rather than a nutritional one

I'm sure it'd be fine, if you can get it at a good price go ahead

I generally will lean towards Max's for Casein (Anabolic Night), but having WPC, cottage cheese or yoghurt would give similar slow release benefits I'd imagine

Never been a fan of the Optimum Nutrition bandwagon, this is more of a cultural decision rather than a nutritional one

I'm sure it'd be fine, if you can get it at a good price go ahead

I generally will lean towards Max's for Casein (Anabolic Night), but having WPC, cottage cheese or yoghurt would give similar slow release benefits I'd imagine
Casein in general has been a game changer for me.

I bookend the days with it. I have it in the morning before a workout and it keeps me lasting till lunch and in the evening I take it, which lasts me till morning.

I usually yogurt YoPro with blueberries/blackberries with honey and peanut butter protein powder as a post lunch snack.

Shawn Baker on the latest Joe Rogan Podcast.:eek: On the capturing of the USDA and garbage "scientific" studies... only 13 minutes of a much longer chat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just started a proper diet interested to see what effect it has on my body and training loads. (Note I am massively struggling to eat all of this 😅)

Reason - Been struggling for energy, particularly on days where I would have H.I.I.T or Weight training in morning and fencing in the afternoon.

Breakfast: Protein shake coupled with Porridge, Weet-Bix or Oats (With serving of nuts, yoghurt)

Snack morning - Yoghurt, Fruit

Lunch usually sourdough sandwiches or wraps (Chicken, avacado, cheese, tomato, lettuce, onion, sauce and light cheese)

Pre training snack, maybe an up and go and rice cakes

After training chocolate milk immediately afterwards (advised by dietician)

Dinner (Pasta, Protein Pizza, Stir fry, healthy chicken burgers, include 2 cups of veg).

Supplements: Creatine, Protein, L-Carnatine, Collagen.

Last edited:
Just started a proper diet interested to see what effect it has on my body and training loads. (Note I am massively struggling to eat all of this 😅)

Reason - Been struggling for energy, particularly on days where I would have H.I.I.T or Weight training in morning and fencing in the afternoon.

Breakfast: Protein shake coupled with Porridge, Weet-Bix or Oats (With serving of nuts, yoghurt)

Snack morning - Yoghurt, Fruit

Lunch usually sourdough sandwiches or wraps (Chicken, avacado, cheese, tomato, lettuce, onion, sauce and light cheese)

Pre training snack, maybe an up and go and rice cakes

After training chocolate milk immediately afterwards (advised by dietician)

Dinner (Pasta, Protein Pizza, Stir fry, healthy chicken burgers, include 2 cups of veg).

Supplements: Creatine, Protein, L-Carnatine, Collagen.
Love the diet, please keep us posted and or tag me in, Im interested in your results.

Does your diet include the opportunity for a cheat meal and or fasting opportunity?

Love the diet, please keep us posted and or tag me in, Im interested in your results.

Does your diet include the opportunity for a cheat meal and or fasting opportunity?

Yeah got options for a cheat meal here or there :)

I can always fast breakfast if I want, but I have to at least have a smoothie.

Going for an athletic performance diet with the world cup in March, so will see how I go.

Eat eat eat - protein shakes are great for convenience but aren't a panacea in themselves.

If you want protein powder, avoid retail and brand names and just go online to Bulk Nutrients. Cheaper and have a solid reputation.

Non meat: Eggs are cheap and have a high protein bioavailability.
Have you ever bought frozen egg whites? Are they any good. I was only thinking about these the other day

Have you ever bought frozen egg whites? Are they any good. I was only thinking about these the other day
I haven't tried them TBH.
I find it's pretty quick to whip up an omelet anyway - just eggs and a little Tabasco. I don't add anything else except salt & pepper once it's done.

The most obvious question after reading this (and the study itself) is “How does this translate in practice?”.
Really you’d need to run an RCT comparing placebo, 25g protein & 100g protein over an 8-12 week period to see if muscle growth was (protein) dose dependent.

Fish Oil, Protein, multi vitamin, creatine
The rest suck and you re better off throwing money in the toilet.

Don't be fooled kids.
Most of the **********s that peddle all these garbage supplements and make money off you, are on anabolics.

Last edited:
Fish Oil, Protein, multi vitamin, creatine
The rest suck and you re better off throwing money in the toilet.

Don't be fooled kids.
Most of the **********s that peddle all these garbage supplements and make money off you, are on anabolics.

Agree, though one caveat is that there are plenty of other useful supplements eg. Vitamin D, B12, Iron etc… that can be beneficial for specific individuals and their needs.

So I'm committing to Feb Fast or Dry Feb or whatever, don't drink during Feb.

For a few reasons, mental, physical, work just to see the effects and help to cut down in the future.

At the same time I want to try and get in to the calories in v calories out mindset.

Now, I don't follow anyones advice in particular but that annoying guy from EBT pops up on my insta feed constantly. I ended up at his website using the macro calculator, and it spits out this:

1706073888417.png

For me I'm just concerned that 2549cals for weight loss seems high to me... am I wrong?

Thoughts?

For me I'm just concerned that 2549cals for weight loss seems high to me... am I wrong?

Thoughts?

2600cals would be barely maintenance for me at 86kg so it’s likely well into a deficit at 115kg.
In reality though the only way to know is to stick to it for a while and see whether you start dropping weight or not and adjust from there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back