Health Depression

Remove this Banner Ad

How's everyone going at Christmas? I enjoy the season but I know a lot of people struggle.

My big one is New Year. I hate it. People celebrate it but it is my worst time of year. I don't know if depressed is the word but I feel melancholic. Like "that's another year wasted", especially if nothing much has happened during the year. As I've gotten older I've felt the same on my birthday. I think I treat myself a bit harshly but I'm a bit of a perfectionist.
Good on you for caring about how others on here are going. Yes, I can empathise with those who are not travelling well, especially when others around them are celebrating and saying Happy Christmas when it's not so happy for many people.
I'm nearly 70 but I have a vivid memory of a programme I saw on CHannel 2 when I was a teenager about a guy in a rock group who was depressed and feeling alienated by the Christmas traditions. I really related to that, though like you it was more like melancholy rather than anything more serious.
I'm going ok now thanks but just recently was feeling a bit depressed with work related stuff.

Best wishes to everyone in here and remember at least there are people in here who care about you and would be up for a chat if you need it.

Good on you for caring about how others on here are going. Yes, I can empathise with those who are not travelling well, especially when others around them are celebrating and saying Happy Christmas when it's not so happy for many people.
I'm nearly 70 but I have a vivid memory of a programme I saw on CHannel 2 when I was a teenager about a guy in a rock group who was depressed and feeling alienated by the Christmas traditions. I really related to that, though like you it was more like melancholy rather than anything more serious.
I'm going ok now thanks but just recently was feeling a bit depressed with work related stuff.

Best wishes to everyone in here and remember at least there are people in here who care about you and would be up for a chat if you need it.
Yes, it is a good little community here and people respect each other.

I get the work depression. It wasn't just me, others suffered too. The place was toxic. I had to get out and did it about 6 years ago. The money set me up but it is not worth your health.

I like the Christmas traditions, but it is the people who have to spend Christmas on their own who make me sad.

You’re a bit younger than my dad Fossie 32 but have a very similar taste in music too him.

Hope everyone is doing ok, I’ve actually felt pretty good the last few days, removing myself from facebook so I don’t have to see all the entitled and attention seeking posts has certainly helped my headspace,

And just as I post all that I find out an immediate relative has been taken to the ED. Depression, on Christmas eve.

I know it isn't Christmas related but what a time for it to happen. :(

EDIT: Turns out she refused to go, but she seriously needs help.

Last edited:
My brother is in a really bad head space and we just can’t get through to him

He’s cut off the whole family and it’s breaking my poor mums heart

He isn’t coming to our family Christmas which is really sad

Kind of at my wits end with it , it’s a combination of family politics, his mental health , some drug use ( not too serious) , some poor life decisions by him .

Families are hard work
Hang in there everyone
Have a great Xmas and try and tap into the spirit if at all possible.
Even if you’re on your own , give yourself a little treat.
It’s the one day a year to just try and enjoy and give if you can

Merry Xmas everyone itt, take care of yourselves 🎄

How's everyone going at Christmas? I enjoy the season but I know a lot of people struggle.

My big one is New Year. I hate it. People celebrate it but it is my worst time of year. I don't know if depressed is the word but I feel melancholic. Like "that's another year wasted", especially if nothing much has happened during the year. As I've gotten older I've felt the same on my birthday. I think I treat myself a bit harshly but I'm a bit of a perfectionist.

Yeah I think I can relate to that. Christmas is fine, I'll be with my family today (just immediate- half of the extended family we are not on speaking terms with, but tbh I'm not all that sad about it anymore. Have just reached that point) and I'm grateful for that.

NYE yeah that's probably different and I'll most likely spend it alone and lonely. Or asleep lol

Kind of at my wits end with it , it’s a combination of family politics, his mental health , some drug use ( not too serious) , some poor life decisions by him .

Families are hard work
Hang in there everyone
Have a great Xmas and try and tap into the spirit if at all possible.
Even if you’re on your own , give yourself a little treat.
It’s the one day a year to just try and enjoy and give if you can

Hope things turn around .

Does anyone experience hangover anxiety? Hangxiety. I rarely drink these days but got carried away on Xmas eve. Ever since I've been feeling stressed, anxious, feelings of regret and absolute dread. Even though I didn't do anything wrong. Just over playing everything I did and said that night. I've always done this but never knew it was a thing. I just thought I was carrying on.

I hope everyone is doing okay.
Does anyone experience hangover anxiety? Hangxiety. I rarely drink these days but got carried away on Xmas eve. Ever since I've been feeling stressed, anxious, feelings of regret and absolute dread. Even though I didn't do anything wrong. Just over playing everything I did and said that night. I've always done this but never knew it was a thing. I just thought I was carrying on.
Yeah, plenty of days after a bender where I've felt very up and down, both physically and mentally. I always felt my chemical balance was way off - meds and alcohol/drugs don't mix. I recommend anyone with mental health problems to try teetotalism.

Families are hard work

Is he at least acknowledging texts and phone calls?? I hope so.

That's no good, i understand when people need space, but it's nice to be nice while doing it, there's obviously some talking needed from your parents and him to get through it, but also, often guys don't like talking about insecurities and stuff. It's a tricky thing, no doubt.

Good luck, i'm sure things can turn around over time :)

If it makes you feel any better, dysfunctional situations within families are verrrry normal, more normal than not, if it's any consolation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel massively better anytime I'm holidaying near water.

I think a lot I'd people are the same.

It's amazingly relaxing just sitting and watching water and relaxing

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
For me it’s in my fruit , flower and veggie garden along with the chickens and dogs

Does anyone in this thread have a situation where they can only engage with and learn from 'Parasocial' relationships? But can't believe any other relationship due to looks/wealth/luck etc?

Not me, just a concept.
Please expand on this question.
Not entirely sure what you mean sorry .

Crap.... My bank card expired at the end of 2023.

My bank claimed that they sent the new card through my mail. I don't recall .

So.... I have to wait 7-10 working days for another card

I always set it to pick up my new card in a branch. I had one go missing before.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back