Health Depression

Remove this Banner Ad

Yikes. Is that the only bank card you have? And do you have alternative means (cash aside) to pay for things?
Yeah it was my only bank card. it expired on december of last year.

It has come at the worst possile time too. I am sick and also my car rego runs out around the 19th of January. Its stress ful some times

I do have cash. I got a good habit of that too.

It has come at the worst possile time too. I am sick and also my car rego runs out around the 19th of January. Its stress ful some times

Depending on which bank you are with, you may be able to access the new card straight away using the banks app.

So sorry to hear this - sounds like a difficult period you're going through. How's your sleep?

Just checking in with you MP - would love to hear how your week has been. If you'd rather message me, by all means. Will open my inbox.
I’m actually quite good, wife and I are dieting, have reduced coffee intake and have exercised the last three days and dropped 1.5kg over the last ten days. I still have issues ruminating over things and am just busting to get me a psych appointment so I can talk about all the stuff I need to get off my chest.

I’m actually quite good, wife and I are dieting, have reduced coffee intake and have exercised the last three days and dropped 1.5kg over the last ten days. I still have issues ruminating over things and am just busting to get me a psych appointment so I can talk about all the stuff I need to get off my chest.
Fantastic work, well done mate. I wish I had the discipline to cut down my coffee intake! Losing 1.5kg is a huge deal - you should feel very proud of yourself. Remember, small changes over time lead to huge results. :clapping:

Fantastic work, well done mate. I wish I had the discipline to cut down my coffee intake! Losing 1.5kg is a huge deal - you should feel very proud of yourself. Remember, small changes over time lead to huge results. :clapping:
Cheers, how many coffees do you have , I am sometimes 6-7 a day

Cheers, how many coffees do you have , I am sometimes 6-7 a day
During the peak of my depression I was downing 6+ coffees a day - didn't help with the anxiety haha

Crap.... My bank card expired at the end of 2023.

My bank claimed that they sent the new card through my mail. I don't recall .

So.... I have to wait 7-10 working days for another card

a lot of banks now let you set up a new card on your digital wallet, once its been sent, you dont have to wait for the physical copy anymore, and you just use paywave

i would go through your banks app setting and see if this can be set up

I have had a lifelong battle with depression and anxiety and also work as a peer worker in mental health. Let me just say i really only just discovered this thread recently and think it's great there are good people willing to give their time to support each other. Hope you are all well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I lost my 10 month old pup hit by a car last Friday and it’s been awful dealing with how much I miss him, seeing the incident, and the guilt of how I didn’t protect him enough (the last part I know isn’t totally rational).

I loved him so much and he gave me so much joy and living by myself, he has helped me get less isolated and withdrawn as I have been too much so since Covid times.

I have organised some counselling for myself too, it has brought out other emotions as well, and made me realised I had been too withdrawn and not open enough to loving and getting attached to people.

I have spent a lot of time with friends and family and opened up about a lot of things since my dogs passing and want to try and find and live my life not afraid of being open and loving. In a way I feel that would be a great way to honour my little mates passing.

I do want to get another puppy as well, as I want to see one through to adulthood as I didn’t get that chance with this one.

I will say to anyone who is struggling with purpose in life or lonely how great having a dog can be. Making you care for another being and having to act in a selfless manner can be incredibly rewarding as you are putting positive energy into the world.

I feel horrible still, but want to find a way to make my future as positive as can be for me and those around me.

I lost my 10 month old pup hit by a car last Friday and it’s been awful dealing with how much I miss him, seeing the incident, and the guilt of how I didn’t protect him enough (the last part I know isn’t totally rational).

I loved him so much and he gave me so much joy and living by myself, he has helped me get less isolated and withdrawn as I have been too much so since Covid times.

I have organised some counselling for myself too, it has brought out other emotions as well, and made me realised I had been too withdrawn and not open enough to loving and getting attached to people.

I have spent a lot of time with friends and family and opened up about a lot of things since my dogs passing and want to try and find and live my life not afraid of being open and loving. In a way I feel that would be a great way to honour my little mates passing.

I do want to get another puppy as well, as I want to see one through to adulthood as I didn’t get that chance with this one.

I will say to anyone who is struggling with purpose in life or lonely how great having a dog can be. Making you care for another being and having to act in a selfless manner can be incredibly rewarding as you are putting positive energy into the world.

I feel horrible still, but want to find a way to make my future as positive as can be for me and those around me.
That's absolutely heart-breaking :( . I'm so sorry for your loss.

I'm glad you have already organised some counselling, and have been spending time with loved ones

I have never owned a dog, despite having wanting one for as long as I can remember. When I was younger I was never allowed one as my mum hates them/is terrified of them, and then as an adult the timing has never been right (with working long hours, never living in my own home and always renting or living with family, and having moved across the country 4 times in 5 years). I plan to someday, when my life is more stable and I can give my future dog the time they need.

Having a bit of a day where I feel like a headcase. Sometimes you have to have faith that other people think like you do and you're not alone out there just nuts as haha

Sorry for your loss.

I'm a massive dog lover I know what it's like losing a four legged friend heart breaking is an understatement.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Please go easy on yourself. :heart:

Thank you all for your kind words, it means a lot.

I’ve taken today off work as I’m just mentally exhausted and actually feel like I can rest. I still feel scared to spend time on my own in my own house.

And yes heartbreaking barely begins to cover it.

Thank you all for your kind words, it means a lot.

I’ve taken today off work as I’m just mentally exhausted and actually feel like I can rest. I still feel scared to spend time on my own in my own house.

And yes heartbreaking barely begins to cover it.
How was the rest of your week/weekend? You holding up okay? Sending love from one Gooner to another :heart:

How was the rest of your week/weekend? You holding up okay? Sending love from one Gooner to another :heart:

Thanks man, yeah I just miss him heaps. Like I guess I just assumed he’d be around for a long time, so I feel cheated. it’s still a shock to the system, but as I said before I think getting another dog soonish will help me heal.

I’ve just been keeping busy and doing positive things. Saying yes to more things to catch up with people, which is helping a lot.

Also being open about my feelings with people has been good and I’ve also been able to help discuss other friends and family’s problems in their lives and feel like I am helping them too.

Let’s hope we can beat West Ham tomorrow morning

Saw this quote today and whilst i have been feeling ok it really hit me hard

"I don't think people realize how hard it is to discover the person you were before depression, or even try to remember your own personality"

i am actually not sure when the last time was that i truly felt normal, maybe there is no normal for me. I'm 47 and i've had mental health issues from probably 16 years of age. I think my normal periods have been when i've pushed my issues deep inside for months maybe years at a time. i'm amazed my wife has stuck with me since we met at 21.

Recently finished reading 'Tribe' by Sebastian Junger which looks at the struggles of US veterans to reintegrate into society after the war. Among this he also explores the different roles in society and how the current US/Australian/western societal structure causes much higher rates of depression than other parts of the world or than other societal structures throughout history.

Central to this is that there's no feeling of belonging and value. If you're not spending quality time with those around you then you're more likely to be depressed. Likewise if you feel like you don't have a defined role or purpose in life you're more likely to be depressed. This, along with the growing disparity between the haves and have nots and the lack of 'in this together' feeling in communities are believed to be the key external contributing factors to depression.

I appreciate he's not a psychologist or an expert by any means, however it made for an interesting short read and there were a couple of very valuable learnings for me in there in terms of how I approach life, my mental health, and other people.

Got a fine review rejected where the officer lied and a bit upset about it. These sorts of things can send me into a bit of spin. Feel like driving my car through my local police station, but I know I can't do that of course.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back