Review Dees v Wee'n'Poos - the Good, the Bad & the Fugly - Rd 10 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apart from the obvious (Frawley, Garland, Dawes, Jones, Rodan), I thought Trengove was promising without dominating. I saw some spring in his legs going for marks, which can only be a good sign. Seven tackles too, so he keeps on working hard inside.

Bail and McKenzie need to be dropped asap.

Fitzy was ordinary, but I want him to be given a few games.

Sad thing about Bail is I think he's got a decent footy brain and tries to spread and get into good positions, but he's slow, relatively short, not strong over the ball and his disposal is ordinary. He'd be 24 or so now? He's had plenty of chances and it's time to move him on.

Hello guys, as a fellow struggling club I just came by to say solid effort in today's game. Although the margin was big, the effort was there.

I know a lot of the media in recent times have called for Neeld to be sacked. I believe that Neeld is the candidate that can drastically improve your side. What people fail to realise is that improvement on the field does not happen instantly, you cannot bring in a new coach and expect them to magically give you results. It's a collective effort from all members of staff, and from where I'm standing the people who were letting you down were your sacked CEO and your recruiters. It's also the responsibility of the players to give their best every round.

Melbourne have a very capable list as far as I'm concerned (bar the shockers from last year and Watts). Some basic skills need to be polished, vision needs to be improved on but you're moving forward. All the best for next round guys.

Came to have a look about what you all thought of Neeld after the loss, my beloved Dogs being in a similar position after the loss against Gold Coast 3 weeks ago.
Mark Neeld spoke of his desire to turn the Dees into the hardest team to play against in the competition. I think the players today had a real crack - they never shied away from a contest, and while their disposal was there, it was obvious they were all trying to emanate that hardness that Neeld spoke of. His message appears to be getting through, but perhaps they just lack the football education and skills to execute it at this stage. With clever drafting, a straightforward message from Neeld set in stone for the next 3-5 years and a player pact to take pride in the jumper and never lose interest no matter the margin, Melbourne can play finals in that time.
Sacking Neeld would be far and away the worst decision this club has made in 10 years bar the tanking debacle. They have bucked the cyclical trend of AFL football, poor drafting and blaming of the coach rather than disinterested players being the cause. The dismissal of the coach would just send the Dees into another 5 year rebuild of a rebuild of a rebuild, and continue the downward spiral.
Mark Neeld was, perhaps with the exception of Brenton Sanderson, the best coach available when Melbourne signed him up. His footballing nous is second to none, but at this stage he doesn't have a great deal to work with. He was handed a poisoned chalice at the end of 2011 and he cannot be expected to have turned them into a side capable of getting even close to a team that by all means should have won last years premiership, among other sides, in just 18 months.
I'll be there on the Queen's Birthday in the MCC members as a neutral supporter hoping that the Dees can be competitive. Hopefully by that point Neeld is still in charge.

This season we've beaten a bunch of kids and our percentage is a smidge over 50. The only established team we've beaten during Neeld's reign is Essendon by a bee's dick. We've never been further from being the "hardest team to play against" in the comp.

But yeah, sacking Neeld, bringing someone else in and destroying them as well isn't going to do much for us.

Good: syl as water boy in the corporates curtain raiser :p
Dawes
I get to write a match review for the Footy Almanac (making a name for myself, look out for it)
Rodan
Chip (even though he ran past Smith as he's running into goal in the second quarter - super fugly)
Garland again
Kent
N.Jones
Effort was there in the first half... still 70 points down
Won the third quarter - top two material :p

Bad
We still got done
Pedo in the backline

Fugly
McKenzie
Watts
Neeld's probably gone - but word is...

Super Fugly
...Jade Rawlings may be replacing him. That's right - same coach who barely coached Richmond to a win against a team who were apparently tanking.

...Jade Rawlings may be replacing him. That's right - same coach who barely coached Richmond to a win against a team who were apparently tanking.

Success has not followed him since he left Hawthorn as a player.

Do not see any point to any mid season movement on Neeld if Rawlings becomes the caretaker.

He was coach of the team that you tried to lose to and only managed to do it after a kick on the siren. Is that really moving upwards from Bailey.

Neeld's probably gone - but word is...
Super Fugly

Word I have heard from someone very close to the situation is that if Neeld goes tomorrow night, something his is expecting, that Neil Craig will step into the role for the remainder of the season. Normally don't put my neck on the line but it's from very close to the situation.

JGood: I sat with your fans and cheered you on with one eye, and at the very least it was clear to me that the players were having a crack.

Yes the skills weren't there and there were infuriating turnovers (believe me, before the Ross Lyon era I was used to it) but it looked like more effort was there than last week.

Also greatly admire the supporters who show up week in/week out. I could feel their passion even in the low moments.

Fugly: The Hawks fan who kept holding up that stupid target behind goals.

Best of luck for the rest of the season. Go Dees :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i watched the game all the way through, because i'm loyal. the only exciting thing that happened was melbourne's effort in the final quatre to just avoid +100 margine. for me that was the only exciting thing i saw and in the end the only thing i could barrack for.

Word I have heard from someone very close to the situation is that if Neeld goes tomorrow night, something his is expecting, that Neil Craig will step into the role for the remainder of the season. Normally don't put my neck on the line but it's from very close to the situation.
Given PJs emphasis on experience I wouldn't be surprised. We could do worse IMO in this situation.

Is this source a current employee?

i watched the game all the way through, because i'm loyal. the only exciting thing that happened was melbourne's effort in the final quatre to just avoid +100 margine. for me that was the only exciting thing i saw and in the end the only thing i could barrack for.

Chris Dawes' performance didn't float your boat mate?

Funnily enough, I think the Dees played better today than against GC, or almost every other game this season.

The endeavour was there, we were let down by dreadful disposal.

At this stage, if the boys go into each match and give it an honest go (more Chris Dawes bumps please), I'll be content - that is all we can ask for at the moment (at least until Clark comes back, anyway). Baby steps.

good
Dawes - felt like he finally gelled today. Worked his arse off, although that wasn't reflected on the scoreboard.
n jones is a given
terlich
garland - he seems to have got his confidence back and it shows
kent
evans
general team effort
the confidence that showed in patches

bad
the confidence was only shown in patches

fugly
95 point drubbing

I'll keep it brief. No need to reiterate bad and fugly.

Good
-Garland and Frawley. <3
-Dawes tries hard all day
-Rodan's endeavour
-Joel MacDonald - I like the cut of his jib.

It seems a while since we've actually talked tactics/gameplan on this board, since we're mostly pre-occupied with how much we'll lose by/when Neeld will be sacked, but when we actually roll the dice and try and go up the middle we can look alright. As soon as we eliminate a few a lot of those disposal howlers, and have Clark back up front, we may even resemble a football team again.

Good - Dawes, N Jones, Garland, Howe tried hard all day

Bad - match felt like a training drill for the most part

Ugly - 28,000 crowd and the vast majority, probably 75% or more were Hawthorn supporters despie this being our home game. Was a sea of yellow and brown, not much red and blue. Huge backlash by our supporters this week. Im very worried for QB.

Good:
Dawes - was huge... great recruit IMO
N Jones - was ever bigger, what a man.
Garland and Frawley - big effort under the pump
Rodan and Davey - solid contributions
Watts - I thought he at least looked like he wanted to be out there. Played with more confidence, clunked some good marks and used the ball well in general.

Bad:
McKenzie and Bail - neither offer much at all. Evans in the same boat somewhat, less exposure though.
Strauss - was poor defensively, which was a shame because he got a bit more of the ball and used it pretty well I thought
Fitzpatrick - looked like a deer in the headlights, would be surprised if he made it as a player at this stage. Happy to give him a few more weeks though.

Fugly:
A 95-point loss doesn't seem that bad...

did anyone else notice in the hawthorn cheer squad there was a banner that was a target? one i find it slightly insulting and two the hawthorn player aimed for it near goal with set shots and when melbourne was kicking that way it was no were to be seen. a bit unfair as it helps with hawthorns accuracy a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back