Review Dees v the Suns - the Good, Bad & Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Brothers, I am suspicious of any sort of record that makes us look good. We have beaten the Suns in every match since 2014. The run comes to an end today. Suns by 17 points.

Please share your thoughts after the game.

My biggest take away is that Petracca was clean shaven at the start of the game and ended the game with half a beard.

Good grind, ecstatic for the win as Melbourne have a tougher draw this year and really happy for the Suns I hope they can make Metricon a fortress (more against any of our contenders for the GF).

And I am, as is everyone, totally with Petracca when he asked Tim Lamb to get the deal done with Jackson.

Good: Dogga, Bowey, Petracca, Joel Smith
Bad: Gawn dropped marks, frustrating as ****
Ugly: Jayden Hunt. Stupid footballer, stupid stupid footballer. Charlie Spargo, a very very shit two weeks for him, if you're not gonna use it well or kick goals, apply pressure.

Bonus: Games in Queensland are putrid, super slippery, makes for average viewing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Glad to get the win in greasy conditions in an away game against the Suns.

Good:
Bowey – What a gun. Really important in the absence of Salem for him to step up into an even more important role. Don’t’ think he put a foot wrong tonight and isn’t afraid to do the tough stuff as well as be so silky.

Dogga – An absolute freak show, love him so much. Thought he was very clever for the out the back goal he kicked, to sum up that we had enough in the contest and that the ball was a good chance to get out the back and he made sure he was there for it. His interview after the game was amazing.

Petracca – Started the year in amazing form and looks hungry to go to an even higher level.

Smith – Kept his man so quiet tonight and even though he didn’t get it a whole lot did the job whenever he was called upon. Starting to think that he is best 22.

Bad:
The commentary. So many puns from Dwayne. “In Harmes way” “come what May” cringe worthy stuff. And Derm and Gerard are just so hard to listen to.

Hunt – Didn’t do anything right tonight and you could see he knew it. Was stiff early when he got legged and got no free kick for it.

Ugly:
Was worried Rivers had hurt his knee again when he came off in the second. Glad he was ok to go back on and got through the game. Wasn’t his best game but good to get this one under his belt after the injury.

Glad to get the win in greasy conditions in an away game against the Suns.

Good:
Bowey – What a gun. Really important in the absence of Salem for him to step up into an even more important role. Don’t’ think he put a foot wrong tonight and isn’t afraid to do the tough stuff as well as be so silky.

Dogga – An absolute freak show, love him so much. Thought he was very clever for the out the back goal he kicked, to sum up that we had enough in the contest and that the ball was a good chance to get out the back and he made sure he was there for it. His interview after the game was amazing.

Petracca – Started the year in amazing form and looks hungry to go to an even higher level.

Smith – Kept his man so quiet tonight and even though he didn’t get it a whole lot did the job whenever he was called upon. Starting to think that he is best 22.

Bad:
The commentary. So many puns from Dwayne. “In Harmes way” “come what May” cringe worthy stuff. And Derm and Gerard are just so hard to listen to.

Hunt – Didn’t do anything right tonight and you could see he knew it. Was stiff early when he got legged and got no free kick for it.

Ugly:
Was worried Rivers had hurt his knee again when he came off in the second. Glad he was ok to go back on and got through the game. Wasn’t his best game but good to get this one under his belt after the injury.
Needed to cross Rivers was my favourite Dwaynism tonight.

Good:

• Held firm against an up-and-coming side which played really well for the most part. These games are easy to drop early in the season, so it showed a lot of maturity to get the job done.
  • Petracca's a freak. These 40 touch / 2 goal games are starting to become routine.
  • Bowey and Jackson were both incredible.
  • Not much else to say. Nice just to bank the wins sometimes and move on.

Bad:

• Not sure what the plan was, but most of our forward 50 entries were just bombs to the top of the square, and I'm not sure that tactic worked once all night. The ball was too slippery to mark, and our small forwards couldn't get near it when it hit the deck. I don't know whether it was due to forward structure, Suns players flooding back, lack of composure or what, but we depended on individual brilliance for a lot of our goals tonight which isn't going to be sustainable most weeks.

Ugly:

• Football in tropical conditions. I'm not sure I've watched a single game from Alice, Darwin or early season Queensland that hasn't been just a slippery, messy slog with everyone running in concrete boots for the last 30 minutes. Just really shit to watch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back