2nds Crows in SANFL season 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

I think I posted in August that Port were losing their Reserves team. I work with a guy who's son was playing in that team and the players knew midway through the season there would be no team in 2019.

My work mate also told me they were also told both us and the Power will be in either the VFL or an AFL Reserves comp by 2021. We could be in it in 2020, but Port want to be in the SANFL for the 150 years celebration.

I feel we will both move together in 2021.

Seems the SANFL are trying to milk the last drops of non SMA sourced revenue from us.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
So are they gonna run a SANFL Magpies team AND a VFL/AFL Reserves team? Or just the VFL/AFL one? I can't see how they can afford to run two state league teams and i'm sure that'll make all the diehards very happy with their "One Club" stuff.

Draw released. We have the most tv games

Crows – 5 Games
Port - 4 Games
South – 3 Games
Centrals – 3 Games
Eagles – 3 Games
North – 3 Games
turt – 2 Games
Norwood - 2 Games
Glenelg – 2 Games
West - 1 Game
Good. I'd genuinely follow the seconds a bit if I could see it more.

You know, I really enjoy barracking for the top up players and the up and comers. First year, we had a couple of top ups that were pretty good!

So are they gonna run a SANFL Magpies team AND a VFL/AFL Reserves team? Or just the VFL/AFL one? I can't see how they can afford to run two state league teams and i'm sure that'll make all the diehards very happy with their "One Club" stuff.

Nope, if the AFL create a national reserves comp, the magpies will be dead

Do you think having the Power in the AFL at the expense of killing off the Magpies in the SANFL will be seen as a good deal by the Port faithful?

The die hard Magpies fans, that all but ignore the Power, will be livid, however they are very much in the minority ala the 'No AFL in the SANFL' parrots.

I'd expect there to be little resistance to the destruction of the Magpie brand from most Power fans though

The die hard Magpies fans, that all but ignore the Power, will be livid, however they are very much in the minority ala the 'No AFL in the SANFL' parrots.

I'd expect there to be little resistance to the destruction of the Magpie brand from most Power fans though
All the whole rubbing one out over Russell Ebert, Fos Williams and 119 years or whatever it is

Nope, if the AFL create a national reserves comp, the magpies will be dead
I wouldn’t be so certain with that. I’d expect they’d have some sort of bullshit academy team in the SANFL at some level.......with all the subsequent “it’s unfair, they’re trying to kill us, we need better access to players etc etc” bleating that comes hand in hand with it.

I wouldn’t be so certain with that. I’d expect they’d have some sort of bullshit academy team in the SANFL at some level.......with all the subsequent “it’s unfair, they’re trying to kill us, we need better access to players etc etc” bleating that comes hand in hand with it.

5 years ago I'm pretty sure they would've.

Now that they've killed their academy side in the SANFL Reserves, I reckon they'll happily kill the Magpie brand for the right price now.

5 years ago I'm pretty sure they would've.

Now that they've killed their academy side in the SANFL Reserves, I reckon they'll happily kill the Magpie brand for the right price now.
Yes. Their chairman who lives in Sydney and ex-Redleg CEO will have no issue killing off the magpies.

You almost feel for the traditional port fans

Almost

Nice pick up for 2019 by the Panthers in KPF/Ruck Hayden McLean, saw quite a bit of this lad playing for the Sandringham Dragons and Vic Metro a couple of years ago...can play, very strong overhead and decent kick for a big lad. Goes some way to replacing Keegan Brooksby and Nathan Kreuger though more a forward than a ruck.
https://www.safc.com.au/blog/key-forward-signs-with-the-panthers

Posted elsewhere, but I'll repeat it here since it's relevant

Apparently we've signed McAdams brother Ash Johnson to our SANFL side next year. He was playing for Scotch Old Collegians Div3 side last year.

Also grabbed Jy Farrer, who is also from Halls Creek and was playing with Scotch Old Collegians. He seems to have a bit more hype about him.

Marcus Hamilton, who surprise surprise, is from Halls Creek, and is the brother of Sam Petrevski-Seton, is also playing in the SANFL next year, though not sure if that's with the Crows or not.

So with the SANFL eligibility changes of the contracted supplementary list players of 10. Does that mean we have 3 listed Wright, Johnson and Farrer. Can we still bring in 4 from interstate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So with the SANFL eligibility changes of the contracted supplementary list players of 10. Does that mean we have 3 listed Wright, Johnson and Farrer. Can we still bring in 4 from interstate.
Yes, we can still bring in up to 4 players from interstate.

Here is the list of players who will be eligible for Adelaide’s supplementary list in 2019:
  • Any South Australian player who is aged 19 or older and is not on an SANFL senior list
  • One leadership player who is over the age of 26 and has been on an AFL list the year prior
  • A maximum of four interstate players aged between 18 and 21 years old
  • Next Generation Academy members and Father Sons can receive a permit to play four games if they are aged 18, if they haven’t already played League Football for another SANFL Club
  • If they are nominated by Adelaide, Next Generation Academy members and Father Sons aged 19 can play all games for the Crows but become ineligible to play for any other SANFL Clubs

I'm assuming Ash Johnson and Jy Farrer qualify for the first one since they were playing football in the amatuers here this year.

Well considering Port have announced more than 10. Im assuming the number 10 is just the amount of contracted players you are allowed with 4 allowed from Interstate. You can have an unlimited amount of uncontracted top ups from what ive been told.

So, just doing some sums on running power in our SANFL side, last year to this...

Out (ordered IMO from roughly best to roughly worst runner)
Gibson
Hampton
Edwards
The Sig
Cheney
Jarman
Dear

Gov as well you could say I suppose (not in ordered list).

In (ordered in vague guess at running power)
McHenry
Jones
Hamill
Sholl
Butts
McAdam
Stengle
Strachan

Conclusion: Despite getting a lot younger, we definitely haven't lost running power, probably gained a little. These new draftees we got this year come in more like 3rd year players than first years. I'm always an optimist, but it will be good to see, we don't have to go thru a lull despite bringing a heap of kids in.

Gibson was elite, Sig was pretty handy too but the rest were meh.

The draftees we brought in can all run, not to mention have very solid skills.

Norwood v Adelaide (Coopers Stadium) – Friday March 8th 7.20pm
Port Adelaide v Adelaide (Alberton Oval) –Friday, March 22nd 5pm

Interesting to note the Crows again only have 2 trial games, along with Norwood the rest of the SANFL are getting 3 trial games.

So with the AFL midseason draft this year, should we draft Mitch Grigg midseason and just play him in the SANFL to give us a chance at the SANFL premiership and to make Rucci burst a few blood vessels?
We'd have to have someone on the long term injury list I'm pretty sure.

So with the AFL midseason draft this year, should we draft Mitch Grigg midseason and just play him in the SANFL to give us a chance at the SANFL premiership and to make Rucci burst a few blood vessels?
I really hope we don't do that, the SANFL for us is purely for development, we shouldn't deliberately hinder a traditional SANFL club just for the sake of it.
The league, the umpires and all the clubs already hate us. Let's not make it any worse than it already is.

No I’d like to see him help with a flag for the Legs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back